[ONTARIO] School strike support payments

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3881 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto

[ONTARIO] School strike support payments

For anyone with kids affected by potential school strike (up to grade 7), as you know government is promising payments for each day teachers strike. Basically taking the savings from not paying teachers and re-distributing to parents. You have to sign up for it though, which you can do at link below. Enter your kids info, school and bank details, and supposedly they will start making payments 2 weeks later and then weekly if it turns into a full blown strike.
https://www.iaccess.gov.on.ca/ParentApp ... ndex.xhtml
https://www.ontario.ca/page/education-c ... ay-updated

$60 per day for children aged 0 to 6 who are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that is required to close on account of a strike
$40 per day for students in junior (JK) or senior kindergarten (SK)
$25 per day for students in grades 1 to 7
$40 total per day for students in JK to Grade 12 (or aged 21 and under) with special needs
105 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2164 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: For anyone with kids affected by potential school strike (up to grade 7), as you know government is promising payments for each day teachers strike. Basically taking the savings from not paying teachers and re-distributing to parents. You have to sign up for it though, which you can do at link below. Enter your kids info, school and bank details, and supposedly they will start making payments 2 weeks later and then weekly if it turns into a full blown strike.
https://www.iaccess.gov.on.ca/ParentApp ... ndex.xhtml

$60 per day for children aged 0 to 6 who are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that is required to close on account of a strike
$40 per day for students in junior (JK) or senior kindergarten (SK)
$25 per day for students in grades 1 to 7
$40 total per day for students in JK to Grade 12 (or aged 21 and under) with special needs
Thanks for the links. If my kid (gr 4) is in daycare for those days that the teachers are on strike would I still qualify? I'm confused about the conditions of who would be eligible. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found my answer in the 2nd link. I'm not eligible. I didn't hear this part on the news last night or they talked so fast that I didn't catch it.
Last edited by ds2chan on Jan 16th, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3881 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote: Thanks for the links. If my kid (gr 4) is in daycare for those days that the teachers are on strike would I still qualify? I'm confused about the conditions of who would be eligible. Thanks.
Everyone is eligible, what you do with the money is up to you. There is no requirement to actually have your kid registered in a daycare (unless you have a kid that has not entered school yet, but is in a daycare located inside a school that needs to close).
Last edited by rob444 on Jan 16th, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 27, 2018
4 posts
11 upvotes
ONTARIO PARENTS ONLY – (Sorry if repost...) Let's try to not get into the politics of the work stoppage, and the payment. (This is RFD of course, and it is free money...) The Government of Ontario is supplying parents with a payment for each work stoppage day. Sign up on the site and you are eligible for the payment on each work stoppage day. Eligibility is limited to parents whose children are enrolled in a school or attending a school-based child care centre that is fully closed due to a strike.

Parents are eligible for support if their:
  • children are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that has closed on account of the strike
  • children are in junior kindergarten up to and including Grade 7 in a publicly-funded school that has closed on account of a labour disruption
  • children have special needs and are in junior kindergarten up to and including Grade 12 (or up to age 21) in a publicly-funded school that has closed on account of a labour disruption

Eligible parents of children up to age 12 (Grade 7), or up to age 21 for children and youth with special needs, in a publicly funded school, qualify for:

• $60 per day for children aged 0 to 6 who are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that is required to close on account of a strike
  • $40 per day for students in junior (JK) or senior kindergarten (SK)
  • $25 per day for students in grades 1 to 7
  • $40 total per day for students in JK to Grade 12 (or aged 21 and under) with special needs
  • A student with special needs means any student reported to be receiving special education programs or services by their school board. This does not include students formally identified as being Gifted, who are receiving special education programs and services.

Applications for special needs funding are validated against school board records of students receiving special education programs or services.
You are not eligible if your child goes to a child care centre that is based outside of a school.
Last edited by thatthat on Jan 16th, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2020 posts
1418 upvotes
Can't complain with free money!
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Nov 7, 2004
581 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Really HOTTTTT deal !!! Link to signup ??
TigerDirect Sucks..
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1223 posts
1497 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy

I wish I could see how well the Province will vet this by signing my "kid" up for it...but defrauding the govt may cause some issues lol.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 16th, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thread cleanup
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54008 posts
18952 upvotes
Nice, $40 is $40.

Maybe those substitute teachers who deserve a permanent job can step in?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4498 posts
1634 upvotes
Ajax
alanbrenton wrote: Nice, $40 is $40.

Maybe those substitute teachers who deserve a permanent job can step in?
They are on strike too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3881 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
ds2chan wrote: EDIT: Nevermind. I found my answer in the 2nd link. I'm not eligible. I didn't hear this part on the news last night or they talked so fast that I didn't catch it.
What do you mean, of course you are eligible. Everyone with kids in grades JK - 7 is, and then some. Grade 4 kid would net you $25 from this. Them being also in a daycare for strike days is irrelevant. In fact the $25 is supposed to be used to pay for that daycare as a result of the strike.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2164 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
rob444 wrote: What do you mean, of course you are eligible. Everyone with kids in grades JK - 7 is, and then some. Grade 4 kid would net you $25 from this. Them being also in a daycare for strike days is irrelevant. In fact the $25 is supposed to be used to pay for that daycare as a result of the strike.
It was the below sentence that I thought determine eligibility. The daycare at my son's school will still be open. I guess I'll just sign up anyways.
If your child is not enrolled in school and is attending a child care centre in a school that has closed on account of the labour disruption, enter the name below. Please note, children attending child care centres based in locations outside of schools will not be impacted by a labour disruption and therefore will not qualify for financial support.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"