Parenting & Family

[ONTARIO] School strike support payments

Jul 19, 2015
798 posts
1014 upvotes
London, ON
Great more tax dollars from the government for just being able to procreate......nice
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Clacker wrote: I heard on the radio today that it was taxable, but can't find it written anywhere yet.
Hmm... isn't this already tax we've paid, just getting it back?

Also, entered my kid's bday wrong, lol. Hope it still works.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
ChippewaBarr wrote: I wish I could see how well the Province will vet this by signing my "kid" up for it...but defrauding the govt may cause some issues lol.
When you sign up, the webpage indicates that your kid's info (name, DOB, school) will be cross-referenced to Ministry of Education records before payment is issued.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
xFRUGALITYx wrote: Great more tax dollars from the government for just being able to procreate......nice
No, in this case the province is using the money saved from not paying teacher's salary when they go on strike. From what I read even after paying out all the parents it will be a net savings for them.
Feb 22, 2015
42 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rob444 wrote: No, in this case the province is using the money saved from not paying teacher's salary when they go on strike. From what I read even after paying out all the parents it will be a net savings for them.
1250000 (students based on 2017/18 enrollment) (Kinder @ $40, 1-7 @ $25) = ~35 million (cost likely higher with 'daycare' + special needs payout, also if it's true that it's also taxed, then they get some money back as well)
~29 million (for 84 000 elementary teachers (based on 2017/2018 job numbers) @ 90 000 pay [high-end], cost is likely lower as not all teachers are at this salary)

Looks like they might be losing money or be about on par.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
Clacker wrote: I heard on the radio today that it was taxable, but can't find it written anywhere yet.
I saw this from the Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... trike.html
The Ministry of Education is working with Ministry of Finance and Revenue Canada to determine if the payment is taxable. When the B.C. government did in 2014, it was not taxable.
brighteyed11 wrote: 1250000 (students based on 2017/18 enrollment) (Kinder @ $40, 1-7 @ $25) = ~35 million (cost likely higher with 'daycare' + special needs payout, also if it's true that it's also taxed, then they get some money back as well)
~29 million (for 84 000 elementary teachers (based on 2017/2018 job numbers) @ 90 000 pay [high-end], cost is likely lower as not all teachers are at this salary)

Looks like they might be losing money or be about on par.
The official numbers say it's up to $48M per day in payments to parents (if every single parent signs up for it), and savings of $60M per day in teachers salaries (this is across all of Ontario). These should all be public record and I've heard no dispute of the numbers, so don't really have any reason to doubt them.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Need some clarification as I am not 100% sure about the message from the school board.

Someone told me that only kids that are attending the after school programs in their public school are eligible for the support payments. Some say every kid is eligible. My kids (both in grade school under grade 6) usually go to an after school program outside the public school. Now, because of the strike, we need to pay extra to have the after school place to take my kids from morning at 8 am. Will my case be eligible for this support claim ? Thanks for your help.

By the way, I tried filling out the online form, it asks the “Child care centre name” and “Name of child care centre Director/ Supervisor”. I am not sure if it implies the Child Care Centre within the public school or any after school program. That’s why I am trying to clarify. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Need some clarification as I am not 100% sure about the message from the school board.

Someone told me that only kids that are attending the after school programs in their public school are eligible for the support payments. Some say every kid is eligible. My kids (both in grade school under grade 6) usually go to an after school program outside the public school. Now, because of the strike, we need to pay extra to have the after school place to take my kids from morning at 8 am. Will my case be eligible for this support claim ? Thanks for your help.

By the way, I tried filling out the online form, it asks the “Child care centre name” and “Name of child care centre Director/ Supervisor”. I am not sure if it implies the Child Care Centre within the public school or any after school program. That’s why I am trying to clarify. Thanks
If your child is enrolled in school, that is all that matters to get the payments. EVERYONE is eligible. You do NOT enter in any daycare info on the form, which is states:
If your child is not enrolled in school and is attending a child care centre in a school that has closed on account of the labour disruption, enter the name below.

Your kid is enrolled in school, so just enter their name and school and that is it. No daycare info. You will get $25 per kid (if they are grades 1 - 7).

What you do with the money or if you happen to enroll them in daycare, is completely irrelevant.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks
rob444 wrote: If your child is enrolled in school, that is all that matters to get the payments. EVERYONE is eligible. You do NOT enter in any daycare info on the form, which is states:
If your child is not enrolled in school and is attending a child care centre in a school that has closed on account of the labour disruption, enter the name below.

Your kid is enrolled in school, so just enter their name and school and that is it. No daycare info. You will get $25 per kid (if they are grades 1 - 7).

What you do with the money or if you happen to enroll them in daycare, is completely irrelevant.
Aug 19, 2013
434 posts
380 upvotes
Etobicoke
This not exactly a hot deal post but for parents with children in Ontario affected by recent and upcoming teachers strikes. Mods feel free to move this in more appropriate section. Please all politics/strikes debate should go to off-topic forum.

Financial support for parents during strikes

Eligibility
Eligibility is limited to parents whose children are enrolled in a school or attending a school-based child care centre that is fully closed due to a strike.

Parents are eligible for support if their:

children are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that has closed on account of the strike
children are in junior kindergarten up to and including Grade 7 in a publicly-funded school that has closed on account of a labour disruption
children have special needs and are in junior kindergarten up to and including Grade 12 (or up to age 21) in a publicly-funded school that has closed on account of a labour disruption
Eligible parents of children up to age 12 (Grade 7), or up to age 21 for children and youth with special needs, in a publicly funded school, qualify for:

$60 per day for children aged 0 to 6 who are not yet enrolled in school, but attend a school-based child care centre that is required to close on account of a strike
$40 per day for students in junior (JK) or senior kindergarten (SK)
$25 per day for students in grades 1 to 7
$40 total per day for students in JK to Grade 12 (or aged 21 and under) with special needs
A student with special needs means any student reported to be receiving special education programs or services by their school board. This does not include students formally identified as being Gifted, who are receiving special education programs and services.

Applications for special needs funding are validated against school board records of students receiving special education programs or services.

You are not eligible if your child goes to a child care centre that is based outside of a school.

Apply
You can submit your applications online.

Your text to link here...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
I dont think that's enough to pay for baby sitters but its better than nothing
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Next year, 35 kids + 4 special needs per class. Yay!
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21784 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Assuming an extremely small class of 20 kids, that's $1200 per teacher, per day. More than enough to easily meet the amount the teachers are asking for instead of cutting their pay. If there's one thing this government really has expertise in, it's wasting dollars virtue signaling about how they're saving cents.
Sep 29, 2014
146 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton, ON
What is going to happen to the education of these children.
Who is going to be accountable.
Feb 22, 2015
42 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rob444 wrote: I saw this from the Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... trike.html
The Ministry of Education is working with Ministry of Finance and Revenue Canada to determine if the payment is taxable. When the B.C. government did in 2014, it was not taxable.

The official numbers say it's up to $48M per day in payments to parents (if every single parent signs up for it), and savings of $60M per day in teachers salaries (this is across all of Ontario). These should all be public record and I've heard no dispute of the numbers, so don't really have any reason to doubt them.
My numbers were based on purely 'Elementary' (elementary students payments + salary of elementary teachers) since elementary parents are only receiving the payment. But yeah if you include all secondary teachers. It would be actual savings.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
There's already a post for this in the parenting forum and there are already two posts in OT and PRC discussing the labour situation. Perhaps this thread should be merged?
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
62 posts
21 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Assuming an extremely small class of 20 kids, that's $1200 per teacher, per day. More than enough to easily meet the amount the teachers are asking for instead of cutting their pay. If there's one thing this government really has expertise in, it's wasting dollars virtue signaling about how they're saving cents.
Yeah, your math is exactly how Ontario teacher always won in past.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: Assuming an extremely small class of 20 kids, that's $1200 per teacher, per day. More than enough to easily meet the amount the teachers are asking for instead of cutting their pay. If there's one thing this government really has expertise in, it's wasting dollars virtue signaling about how they're saving cents.
I never seen a government spending more money on the effects of a strike than to stop the strike from happening in the first place. Ontario sucks.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
Why you need register? Didn't government have all the information? This is unfair for low income families that don't have computers or internet
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
Cutting their pay? Are we talking about Ontario teachers?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)