Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
170 posts
7 upvotes

Ontario Summer Experience Program - H/S Student

Has anybody gotten a job from them?

Im 17 and I'm looking for a a summer job...after not getting into Ontario Place I was wondering what is the likelihood of a high school gettting one of these jobs..considering they are mostly jobs for the government and they prolly hire mostly university students.

Thank you
5 replies
Mar 23, 2006
118 posts
48 upvotes
I apologize if my information is out-dated.

I worked for the Ontario government during for one summer when I was in university. It was not with the Summer Experience Program, rather through their regular summer hiring.

As for the SEP, my recollection is that high school students definitely have a good chance at getting these jobs. If I recall, the wage wasn't that great (something like $8.50/hr), which was pretty good in high school, but not so good the older you get. Plus, and perhaps more importantly, the SEP program only gives the relevant ministry hiring the student funding for 6-8 weeks, so many jobs don't last longer than that. Most university students will want a job that is closer to 16 weeks. By contrast, 8 weeks is perfect for a high school student since that is all the summer vacation you get.

I say go for it, but, as with any job hunt, apply widely. Good luck.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
170 posts
7 upvotes
thebigcmb wrote:I apologize if my information is out-dated.

I worked for the Ontario government during for one summer when I was in university. It was not with the Summer Experience Program, rather through their regular summer hiring.

As for the SEP, my recollection is that high school students definitely have a good chance at getting these jobs. If I recall, the wage wasn't that great (something like $8.50/hr), which was pretty good in high school, but not so good the older you get. Plus, and perhaps more importantly, the SEP program only gives the relevant ministry hiring the student funding for 6-8 weeks, so many jobs don't last longer than that. Most university students will want a job that is closer to 16 weeks. By contrast, 8 weeks is perfect for a high school student since that is all the summer vacation you get.

I say go for it, but, as with any job hunt, apply widely. Good luck.
Thanks for the information!

For the regular summer hiring, do high school students have as good of a chance as the SEP? Are these also full time jobs?

Also, do companies hire high school students? Some of my friends got work at offices and companies, but they have parents who work there. If I find a place that I want to work at through Yellowpages, would it be appropriate to just call and ask for a summer job?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2006
1662 posts
72 upvotes
I did an SEP with Forms Management Services, a division of Shared Services Bureau, which is part of the Management Board Secretariat.

You have better luck with SEP if you are 1st or 2nd year university/college. High school students do get in but not many. There was one h/s kid when I was there and he only got in because his dad is high up in the ministry of transport. most people get that position because they know someone (unfortunately). I met 10 other SEP interns (from other ministries) - myself and another had got an internship through application. Everyone else's mommy and daddy got them a job.

Apply to every SEP position you see, and hopefully there will be enough space for you.

they are goverment jobs, but they are created for the purpose of giving high school and first year uni/college students some experience.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
170 posts
7 upvotes
When applying, should I be sending a coverletter as well, or will a resume be enough?
Sep 30, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
canada
bump for 2009,

do anyone have any tips/advice regarding the interview and the whole process

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)