[OP]
Nov 16, 2006
579 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario support deposits - I don't have kids

Hi friends,

Looking for a good suggestion.

Since the school strike started in Ontario I've been getting deposits in my bank account labelled 'suppforparents' and now 'suppforfamilies'. I don't know much about these programs but I know enough to say I don't qualify (don't have children), nor have I actually applied for them. My guess is someone accidentally used my banking information on their application and haven't been getting their payments as a result. In total I've received $240 for support for parents, and $250 for support for families. I tried calling their number and it's either been a busy tone, or the wait time is too long for me to wait in the middle of the day. I sent them an email and didn't receive a response. At first it wasn't a big deal because it was only $40, but now it's adding up to something substantial.

This isn't my money and I know where it came from, but I truly have no idea how to return it. Any ideas?

I was thinking of just keeping it in a separate savings account until one day the Ontario government might ask for it back.

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35514 posts
21563 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ask the bank to reverse?
Jun 6, 2014
242 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Talk to the bank.
Keep track of the amount and don't spend it. Once they figure out it's wrong, they will reverse the deposit.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
you sent an email so you already did ur part, now just wait for the conservative gov't Ontario to get back to you and fix it
Hi
[OP]
Nov 16, 2006
579 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Ask the bank to reverse?

I didn't even know they could do that. I'll send them a message and ask if they can reverse these deposits.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3898 posts
3354 upvotes
xtreemboarder wrote: I didn't even know they could do that. I'll send them a message and ask if they can reverse these deposits.

Thanks!
If they do that, make sure that you keep proof of the reversals.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2801 posts
1036 upvotes
You’re a good person, with true Canadian spirit. I salute you Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6129 posts
1153 upvotes
Agreed well done - very honest , I suspect they will figure it out 5 or 6 years down the road
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Mar 7, 2008
511 posts
135 upvotes
The system for apply 'suppforparents' and 'suppforfamilies' are so wrong.

People CANNOT check the information they typed in, CANNOT check the status of the application.

These are very basic functions.
[external advertising link removed]
May 20, 2017
826 posts
585 upvotes
ON
Kudos to OP. Another family probably has similar account number as yours and they made mistake putting the account number when applied.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2006
579 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Hi friends,

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. I emailed the bank manager at my Scotiabank branch and they reversed it pretty quickly.

Based on the reply it sounds like it happens quite often. Apparently people often confuse their transit number.

Will keep account statement and email discussion so there won't be any funny business in the future.
Oct 24, 2016
997 posts
855 upvotes
ON
I’m surprised. Don’t they match the recipients name with the account holder’s name to make sure it’s going into the right account? It’s so easy to make a typo when typing digits.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.