Automotive

Ontario U Turn Scenarios

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 12:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario U Turn Scenarios

Hi!
There are 2 scenarios that I am curious about, concerning U-Turns in Ontario:

1. The Ministry of Transport handbook mentions how to make a U-turn: https://www.ontario.ca/document/officia ... #section-1
"To make a U-turn, signal for a right turn, check your mirror and over your shoulder and pull over to the right side of the road. Stop. Signal a left turn and when traffic is clear in both directions, move forward and turn quickly and sharply into the opposite lane. Check for traffic as you turn."

Am I right to assume that going all the way to the right side of the road first is just a suggestion? We can still turn onto an oncoming lane starting from the left lane, correct?


2. I've seen people become impatient at a red light so they make a right turn, and then a UTurn to circumvent this.
As long as they are following the rules of a safe UTurn (e.g., not during a curve in the road, on or near a railway crossing or hilltop, or near a bridge or tunnel that blocks your view, or cannot see at least 150 metres in both directions.) then it is technically LEGAL, right?

Thoughts?
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15346 posts
20729 upvotes
Vancouver
This is what the law says. Interpretation is up to you:
143 No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143.
[OP]
Member
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: This is what the law says. Interpretation is up to you:
Yep, thanks!
Member
Dec 4, 2017
495 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto
Your point 2 is basically known as Michigan Left. They have it in many parts of Detroit. You need multi lanes and large median space to make it work. It's actually safer than left turn lanes at traffic lights and saves time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10358 posts
3555 upvotes
As usual rfd mentions nothing about what province

A U turn is a risky move. Done well is a work of art. One that is performed well by those who know what their doing but extremely dangerous when preformed poorly. Even taxis do this poorly because theyre hungry for some $7 fare

Taxis pretend to be experts on this. The Michigan u turn with a 4+ lane setup is dangerous especially with the horrible u turn configuration of most american SUV’s

As with most driving things if you do it right it’s great. A u turn At a green light is fairly safe curb to curb u turns can lead to very serious accidents.

Don’t make mistakes. Otherwise you’re looking at t bones. Major consequences
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Member
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: As usual rfd mentions nothing about what province

A U turn is a risky move. Done well is a work of art. One that is performed well by those who know what their doing but extremely dangerous when preformed poorly. Even taxis do this poorly because theyre hungry for some $7 fare

Taxis pretend to be experts on this. The Michigan u turn with a 4+ lane setup is dangerous especially with the horrible u turn configuration of most american SUV’s

As with most driving things if you do it right it’s great. A u turn At a green light is fairly safe curb to curb u turns can lead to very serious accidents.

Don’t make mistakes. Otherwise you’re looking at t bones. Major consequences
Thanks for your input! Also just an fyi that the province (Ontario) is mentioned in the title, the post, and the link.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2371 posts
3090 upvotes
weirdlogic wrote: Thanks for your input! Also just an fyi that the province (Ontario) is mentioned in the title, the post, and the link.
Knew this was for Ontario, but if anyone is driving to or in BC our U-turn (reverse turn) regulations are more limiting:

"They <reverse turns> are illegal:

If they interfere with other traffic
On a curve
On or near the crest of a hill, where you cannot be seen by other traffic within 150 metres
Where a sign prohibits U‑turns
At an intersection where there is a traffic light <unless specifically permitted by a municipal sign>
In a business district, except at an intersection where there is no traffic light <no u-turns mid-block in a business district>
Where a municipal bylaw prohibits making a U‑turn."
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
345 upvotes
Milton
sunnykw2305 wrote: Your point 2 is basically known as Michigan Left. They have it in many parts of Detroit. You need multi lanes and large median space to make it work. It's actually safer than left turn lanes at traffic lights and saves time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left
That's where the roadway is designed for that though, I interpreted OP to be talking about people just doing that on their own to circumvent a long red light or something.

They turn right onto a two-lane road with no median and then immediately do a U-turn so as to essentially get around a red without technically running a red.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
You know what I see people do a lot which I'm quite sure is illegal? They're in the left turning lane and they make a U-turn on a red light :facepalm: I see it all the time. I've seen it so much in fact that I'm actually questioning whether the law changed to allow this somehow...but I don't think that's the case.
[OP]
Member
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
evosero wrote: That's where the roadway is designed for that though, I interpreted OP to be talking about people just doing that on their own to circumvent a long red light or something.

They turn right onto a two-lane road with no median and then immediately do a U-turn so as to essentially get around a red without technically running a red.
Yes, your interpretation is correct and spot on!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1553 posts
1177 upvotes
One crazy U-turn that I'm seeing drivers do about twice per week in the GTA.: Major intersection, car is in the left turn lane, but instead of turning left, they make a U-turn right in the intersection. Never saw this until the last couple of years. Now I can't believe how often I see this. Often, it's because there is a median curb that prevents them from turning left into a driveway, so they go to the intersection and make a U-turn right in the middle of the intersection. What are these drivers thinking?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6727 posts
4296 upvotes
Toronto
multimut wrote: One crazy U-turn that I'm seeing drivers do about twice per week in the GTA.: Major intersection, car is in the left turn lane, but instead of turning left, they make a U-turn right in the intersection. Never saw this until the last couple of years. Now I can't believe how often I see this. Often, it's because there is a median curb that prevents them from turning left into a driveway, so they go to the intersection and make a U-turn right in the middle of the intersection. What are these drivers thinking?
Just wait until they clash in with right turners. I see honking at my major intersection daily because city extended the centre island so that people cant enter the gas station. Even if it's legal, lot of people can't make the U turn without doing the 3 point turn or going over the curb.

Top