Automotive

[Ontario] Where to find reasonable and honest Safety standards certificate issuing inspection stations?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 10:45 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54058 posts
18988 upvotes

[Ontario] Where to find reasonable and honest Safety standards certificate issuing inspection stations?

Safety standards certificate
https://www.ontario.ca/document/officia ... #section-0

Will My Car Pass a Safety Inspection?
https://www.bemac.ca/blog/will-my-car-p ... nspection/

I'm a little wary just going to any close by shop because a friend's son bought a 2008 Honda Accord for $4k before and when they went for safety inspection two to three years ago at Active Green Ross, they had to spend another $4k to get the Safety standards certificate
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2538 posts
2412 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Take it to a mechanic you trust is always the answer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54058 posts
18988 upvotes
He is like 80 km each way but I guess the endurance drive will be part of the assessment lol.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3570 posts
756 upvotes
Brampton
Yup, the key is to have a regular mechanic that is honest and knows his stuff. Over time you gain trust in him and he earns your continued business.
I have kept the same mechanic even though I have moved twice and its a bit of a drive. He knows I do most of my own work but is happy to help when I need it.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4354 posts
2015 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: I'm a little wary just going to any close by shop because a friend's son bought a 2008 Honda Accord for $4k before and when they went for safety inspection two to three years ago at Active Green Ross, they had to spend another $4k to get the Safety standards certificate
I suggest you do it the other way around. If the vehicle is not certified, pay for an inspection prior to purchasing. It will help in the decision process and negotiations.
Try this: https://www.caasco.com/auto/caa-approve ... r-services & scroll down to Vehicle Inspections.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1335 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote: I'm a little wary just going to any close by shop because a friend's son bought a 2008 Honda Accord for $4k before and when they went for safety inspection two to three years ago at Active Green Ross, they had to spend another $4k to get the Safety standards certificate
Your friend should have had it inspected before buying it...
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54058 posts
18988 upvotes
Do vehicles need functional DRL to pass this newer safety inspection?

I pulled the fuse out as the DRL was causing buzzing noise years ago. I do turn the headlights on when necessary.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1335 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
From what I've read and been told they need to be on there when manufactured, but not for safety afterwards. Kind of a grey area I think.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15648 posts
4717 upvotes
London
Functional drl required for cars manufacturered after Dec 1/89
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2645 posts
1305 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: From what I've read and been told they need to be on there when manufactured, but not for safety afterwards. Kind of a grey area I think.
I always thought they only had to be functional for initial sale or import as well, but that is not correct.
l69norm wrote: Functional drl required for cars manufacturered after Dec 1/89
+ 1

This is the inspection standard for SSC in Ontario, see Section 6(1)(n) on pages 56-57 :
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks ... andard.pdf
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1335 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
Yah, that does make it sound like its required now.
I wonder why the last two vehicles I had and my Jeep passed without them working :( hmm...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8715 posts
9524 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
How many new threads you gonna cap out at for selling those old car?

Maybe just have one thread titled “One mans journey through the wild and winding road of selling a used car. A rare and exciting feat!”

This way readers won’t miss a new thread and feel left out...
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
cartfan123 wrote: How many new threads you gonna cap out at for selling those old car?

Maybe just have one thread titled “One mans journey through the wild and winding road of selling a used car. A rare and exciting feat!”

This way readers won’t miss a new thread and feel left out...
more like the star wars saga...the original thread was the 3rd in the series.."I am buying a BEV"...that one was a few years ago...makes this op seem as phony and full of BS as they come (on the internet)..op was buying a bev and ordering a T3 a few years back..and was all about bev,,but maintained a few shitty old hondas...that can be a justification for life (old used cars to save money),,not that there is anything wrong with that..but then in next thread will be pretending to buy a Tesla or other bev in the next thread...cheap? thats ok...but dont pretend to be on the fence about a new purchase when deep down you just want to save money and cost of operating a car..be real...but stop posting nonsense..you obvious are not a car expert (and very far from it)..and you dont become an expert by reposting articles you have read..and either concentrate on your future bev purchase rather than try finding a way to skirt taxes (illegally)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54058 posts
18988 upvotes
Okay, so I spoke to my friend's son and he only spend $2k+ to get the safety on his vehicle but over the next few months, he had to pay a thousand or two for some more repairs.

I've seen some kijiji listing for $60 but beware because once they have your car lifted up for inspection, you may be held hostage.

I knew of a friend who operates a used car dealership and he recommended I go see the shop. It was $120 for the safety but I had to pay for new rotors and brake pads, which I was find doing so because the charge for parts and labor was reasonable and this is the first time, the rear brake pads were being replaced after 190k driving.

The Lexus dealership the seller/friend frequented quoted her $235 for the safety.