[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13940 posts
8360 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario's Second Career Grant Option

Hi folks,

Tried searching and didn't get any good information on the Second Career. I contacted them, someone got back to me and we eventually had a telephone conversation. The councillor send me notes of our discussion. In those notes, I was to attend a workshop on Sept 11th. Fine and dandy. I went hunting around to see if my course can be eligible and eventually stumbled upon the same information however the workshop was scheduled to be for Sept 8th. I immediately contacted the councillor but haven't heard back and it's been over 2 days. I did read a post where someone said that chances of getting second career is only as good as the person you are working with... That makes me a little depressed. One of the schools that I reached out too indicated that second career doesn't apply to any courses over 1 year.

Does anyone have any information that could potentially answer some questions about course eligibility and actual requirements to get granted while I wait and wait and wait. I'd walk into a location but of course, it's all via phone/email....
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2 replies
Jul 15, 2006
868 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hello Koffey,

In the past (and I'm sure currently as well), Second Career eligibility depends on a number of factors and there's a grid that applicants are scored on. There's a cut-off score that the applicants need in order to be considered eligible for Second Career.

Here's more information: https://www.ontario.ca/page/second-career.

I beg to differ that the application is as good as the Advisor. It depends primarily on points that an applicant scores (based on prior education, experience, length of job search, etc.), as well as the program/occupation that the applicant selects.

I could be wrong, but I thought up to two year programs were allowed.

Word of caution: stay away from private career colleges. Most of them are cash grabs.

Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13940 posts
8360 upvotes
Toronto
Just to follow up on this. I never did hear back from anyone regarding the second career. Most of the schools I spoke with did mention that 2 year programs were not applicable, some private and some public. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with this. Maybe the covid situation had something to do with the terrible communication, I don't know but highly suspect.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯