[FS] (OOS) Ridgid to Ryobi battery adapter

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 12:10 pm
Sep 9, 2008
714 posts
263 upvotes
Langley
Trader Score: 1 (100% Positive)
Yes they do. Ever since the brushless line came out they've included those pins. I haven't popped open a ryobi battery, but those pins can't just be to supply more voltage. Batteries are either in a series or in a parallel... 18 volt would be the max on these tools. According to ryobi that allows the brushless to communicate with the batteries controller on how much output to use.

Lithion ion batteries aren't the most stable - it's not just xx batteries put together to work.. These batteries need a BMs manager, if they discharge at different rates, overheat, or pull too much draw at once they can start fire or explode (I build ebike kits out of these, they're very finicky).

What you're doing MAY be fine... But from what information I've found out online it's a bad idea and can wreck your tools.and batteries. Especially if you're charging them in the non-matched charger.

Ryobi and ridgid are made by the same company pretty much.... So you have that going for you. But even though it's a small chance, I wouldn't want to risk a fire to save a few bucks. At the very least you should tell people not to put the adapters in the chargers.... That's where the fire would likely start. Here's an excerpt from something I found online with Milwaukee tools and adapters - and again... I'm not a battery expert. I've just seen a few fires (caused by me!) from these 1850 batteries. They're great batteries, but there's a reason they're not replacing as batteries...

" If you take apart either of these batteries and tools you will notice each of them has a circuit board close to the terminals. This is for the battery and the tool to communicate back and forth so it can get the most from the battery. This protects the tool and battery from failure due to overheating or overload, (When the tool shuts off automatically until it cools down) To add to that, the circuits in the batteries communicate with the circuits in the chargers to optimize the charging time of the batteries. Tools have come a long way, but the general consumer/public knowledge of their internals have not. If you use an adapter to connect one of these batteries to a tool from a different brand the LiON batteries will discharge their maximum capacity, instead of rationing it to optimize the performance. In short, you will have the ability to supply power to the tool, but it will only be able to discharge at the battery’s maximum rate. Meaning that you will get much shorter run times, the battery could potentially overheat, and the tool could suffer failure, especially if it is not brushles"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3627 posts
1044 upvotes
GTA
Trader Score: 13 (100% Positive)
Ikarasu wrote: Yes they do. Ever since the brushless line came out they've included those pins. I haven't popped open a ryobi battery, but those pins can't just be to supply more voltage. Batteries are either in a series or in a parallel... 18 volt would be the max on these tools. According to ryobi that allows the brushless to communicate with the batteries controller on how much output to use.
Get a volt meter on those two rear pins, 99% sure it'll read 18-20 volts, they're additional voltage pins, nothing more. The front pins are for the charger.
There's no communication between a tool and battery, dont be fooled by marketing speak, my brushless ridgid tools have only two pins, you can't communicate over two pins. When the battery overheats it'll stop, when the tool overheats it'll release the magic smoke and die even with an original battery.

Lithion ion batteries aren't the most stable - it's not just xx batteries put together to work.. These batteries need a BMs manager, if they discharge at different rates, overheat, or pull too much draw at once they can start fire or explode (I build ebike kits out of these, they're very finicky).
The ryobi/ridgid batteries have bms's on them, its to protect it from everything you just said.

What you're doing MAY be fine... But from what information I've found out online it's a bad idea and can wreck your tools.and batteries. Especially if you're charging them in the non-matched charger.
Nowhere did i mention you can charge through the adapter, in fact if you plug it into a charger it simply won't charge, the temp sensor pins aren't connected let alone probably output different readings.

Ryobi and ridgid are made by the same company pretty much.... So you have that going for you. But even though it's a small chance, I wouldn't want to risk a fire to save a few bucks. At the very least you should tell people not to put the adapters in the chargers.... That's where the fire would likely start. Here's an excerpt from something I found online with Milwaukee tools and adapters - and again... I'm not a battery expert. I've just seen a few fires (caused by me!) from these 1850 batteries. They're great batteries, but there's a reason they're not replacing as batteries...
Again the bms on the battery will prevent the battery from going boom. The bms has discharge current protection, over/undervolt protection, temperature protection, it balances cells when charging and many other fail safes so the battery doesn't pop.

" If you take apart either of these batteries and tools you will notice each of them has a circuit board close to the terminals. This is for the battery and the tool to communicate back and forth so it can get the most from the battery. This protects the tool and battery from failure due to overheating or overload, (When the tool shuts off automatically until it cools down) To add to that, the circuits in the batteries communicate with the circuits in the chargers to optimize the charging time of the batteries. Tools have come a long way, but the general consumer/public knowledge of their internals have not. If you use an adapter to connect one of these batteries to a tool from a different brand the LiON batteries will discharge their maximum capacity, instead of rationing it to optimize the performance. In short, you will have the ability to supply power to the tool, but it will only be able to discharge at the battery’s maximum rate. Meaning that you will get much shorter run times, the battery could potentially overheat, and the tool could suffer failure, especially if it is not brushles"
Again you can't communicate over positive/negative pins, its marketing jargon. While charging there is communication over the temp sensor/diagnostic pins but that's it, not when actually using the tool. Don't just say they communicate, prove it, show me where and how the communication happens between the tool and battery and i'll eat my words.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1950 posts
1393 upvotes
Montreal
Trader Score: 3 (100% Positive)
shabby wrote: Get a volt meter on those two rear pins, 99% sure it'll read 18-20 volts, they're additional voltage pins, nothing more. The front pins are for the charger.
There's no communication between a tool and battery, dont be fooled by marketing speak, my brushless ridgid tools have only two pins, you can't communicate over two pins. When the battery overheats it'll stop, when the tool overheats it'll release the magic smoke and die even with an original battery.

The ryobi/ridgid batteries have bms's on them, its to protect it from everything you just said.

Nowhere did i mention you can charge through the adapter, in fact if you plug it into a charger it simply won't charge, the temp sensor pins aren't connected let alone probably output different readings.

Again the bms on the battery will prevent the battery from going boom. The bms has discharge current protection, over/undervolt protection, temperature protection, it balances cells when charging and many other fail safes so the battery doesn't pop.

Again you can't communicate over positive/negative pins, its marketing jargon. While charging there is communication over the temp sensor/diagnostic pins but that's it, not when actually using the tool. Don't just say they communicate, prove it, show me where and how the communication happens between the tool and battery and i'll eat my words.
The octane Ridgid tools have 2 extra pins for communication on the side of the connector. Doesn't matters anyway because they aren't required for operation.
FS Ridgid 3D Tool or Battery Bracket
ridgid-battery-tool-3d-bracket-holder-2385643/
May 29, 2020
1 posts
Trader Score: 0
I'm new to this app and I would really like to get 1 of your adapters but I have no idea how to pm you :/ can you possibly send me a pm or something so we can discuss payment and shipping
Jun 1, 2020
1 posts
Toronto
shabby wrote: Just send me a pm, sure I can ship.
Hi there - sorry - first time poster - I signed up specifically to reach out about the adapter, but can't see how to PM you. I'd like to purchase 2 and live in GTA.
Jun 2, 2020
1 posts
will PM you about purchasing Ryobi to Ridgid adapter - just typing this so Redflagdeals will let me send PMs.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
1368 posts
164 upvotes
Calgary
How easy is this to take on and off the ridgid battery? Do you have to screw into or damage the ridgid battery in any way?
Jun 27, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
Are you still making those ? I works be looking for 2, sent to kingston if that's possible.

And are you making for other types as well ?

Thanks!!
Jun 27, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
Good day,

Are you planning to make more ? I would be looking to possibly get 2 of them shipped to Kingston if that's possible.
Can't seem to be able to send you a pm, but might be because I'm on mobile browser

Thanks !
Jun 28, 2020
1 posts
I'm interested in a couple of these adapters. Could you PM me pricing for 2-4. Thanks. Shipping would be to michigan.
Jun 29, 2020
1 posts
I'm interested in 2 of these delivered to area code 17013. What would the cost be delivered? Also do we know if these would work with the Ryobi lawnmower.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3627 posts
1044 upvotes
GTA
Trader Score: 13 (100% Positive)
jnsarago wrote: I'm interested in 2 of these delivered to area code 17013. What would the cost be delivered? Also do we know if these would work with the Ryobi lawnmower.
I dont recommend using them is a lawn mower, even stock batteries get overheated/burned in them. Im waiting for parts before making more.