17777 posts
15233 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

OP Thread Deletion (aka Decapitation )

@TomRFD

Here’s another one
toronto-private-detectives-2483162

It’s super annoying when an OP chooses to DELETE their original post

Leaving a thread that’s decapitated … and little use to the RFD community as a whole

Sharing is caring … when it comes to the whole Forum concept

I know you are aware of this issue … but it would be nice if a solution was found to end this bad habit by some users
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2409 posts
1515 upvotes
Vancouveresque
An 'easy' solution would be to make edit history visible to all users. Not sure how easy that would be to implement, but there it is. :)
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
6811 posts
11346 upvotes
Montreal
PointsHubby wrote: (...) Here’s another one toronto-private-detectives-2483162 It’s super annoying when an OP chooses to DELETE their original post leaving a thread that’s decapitated … and little use to the RFD community as a whole. (...)
About the thread quoted above, the OP was quoted in post #2.

I understand that it is frustrating when someone deletes the OP but on the other hand, there's the right to edit or delete something that you posted.

Haven't you ever edited or deleted something you posted?
Images
  • Screenshot (1663).png
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17777 posts
15233 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Temporel wrote: About the thread quoted above, the OP was quoted in post #2.

I understand that it is frustrating when someone deletes the OP but on the other hand, there's the right to edit or delete something that you posted.

Haven't you ever edited or deleted something you posted?
Sure … but not the entire frickin OP / Question

There’s a reason that only Mods can actually CLOSE or DELETE a thread from the website

Cutting the head off of an already established thread … does nothing for the RFD Forums Community
Aug 20, 2009
8625 posts
3682 upvotes
I'm not a fan of the practice either but unless it harms the community in a significant way then I think it's just sort of left alone. There are valid reasons for the practice, such as someone removing personally identifiable info or a comment that could show up in a background search.

If someone edited out a large OP from a popular community thread, they might restore that if it gets reported for example.
Sep 27, 2003
10613 posts
3001 upvotes
Newmarket
Redmask wrote: I'm not a fan of the practice either but unless it harms the community in a significant way then I think it's just sort of left alone. There are valid reasons for the practice, such as someone removing personally identifiable info or a comment that could show up in a background search.

If someone edited out a large OP from a popular community thread, they might restore that if it gets reported for example.
Back in the VB days, mods / admins could view a posts' edit history. I miss that feature.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17777 posts
15233 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Redmask wrote: I'm not a fan of the practice either but unless it harms the community in a significant way then I think it's just sort of left alone. There are valid reasons for the practice, such as someone removing personally identifiable info or a comment that could show up in a background search.

I get your examples …

But 99% of the time … that isn’t what is happening … not selective detection.

It’s ENTIRE DELETION

The OP deletes the original post # 1 … (what I call DECAPITATION) and leaves the whole thread hanging

It’s like if I removed every word here in my original post, and this thread essentially began with Reply # 2 by @GeeCee

Without that Original Post … it’s hard to comprehend what was said (the Question) … or sometimes even what the whole thread is about

So in the end … DECAPITATED benefits NO ONE in the RFD Community
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2173 posts
1179 upvotes
London
Redmask wrote: There are valid reasons for the practice, such as someone removing personally identifiable info or a comment that could show up in a background search.
They should think twice about posting in the first place then.
If there is a valid reason, then admin/mod can be approached to remove it.

I think the annoyance of the issue over rides this factor.

A work around is that the first responder quotes the OP.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1016 posts
695 upvotes
Ottawa
Most forums give a 24hr window for OP edits. After that, the post is locked from edits except by staff. That should be enacted here as well.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10669 posts
5668 upvotes
Markham
jayoldschool wrote: Most forums give a 24hr window for OP edits. After that, the post is locked from edits except by staff. That should be enacted here as well.
If we implement this, we need exclude threads in hot deal forum. People should be able to add more details for the deals and sometimes just "OOS"

Or let's just implement this feature in OT first