• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 7:25 pm
May 15, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
GTA

Open Building Permit - Final Inspection

Hey guys,

I bought a house a couple years ago that has a storage shed. It had a permit to be built. I recently got notice that the permit is still open and they're requesting to do a final inspection. What sort of things are they looking for at this stage? They told me everything else would have already been signed off like electrical, framing, foundation. I'm hoping this is something fairly simple because I don't really know the details of the original permit submission.

In the worst case, is any remediation covered through title insurance?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Sounds like whoever built it never bothered with the final inspection, for whatever reason. Do you know if there an obvious reason why the final inspection wasn't done?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Just get the inspection done and stop worrying.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
May 15, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
MrFrugal1 wrote: Sounds like whoever built it never bothered with the final inspection, for whatever reason. Do you know if there an obvious reason why the final inspection wasn't done?
I can only assume it was forgotten. It was built at the same time as the house, so maybe with the excitement of the entire project wrapping up, it just never got done.

Anyone know what they look for during final inspection of an accessory building?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
If you get the inspector out to do the final, he/she will go over it and tell you if any outstanding issues and give you time to fix up before coming back to check up on it. Most are really helpful.

For a shed, there really cannot be very much.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
luckystrike1 wrote:
For a shed, there really cannot be very much.
Property line set back, height, and square footage are fairly common issues, but I've witnessed an inspector want to see manufacturer's specs for snow load on prefabs, as well as orders to change the base.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JohnWeiss wrote: I can only assume it was forgotten. It was built at the same time as the house, so maybe with the excitement of the entire project wrapping up, it just never got done.

Anyone know what they look for during final inspection of an accessory building?
It's most likely then that they had to get a second permit for the shed. An attached structure, like a garage, would have been included in the house permit.
If the shed was built as per plans submitted to the building department, then there will be no issues, and it'll just be a matter of the inspection and them closing the file.
Hopefully the builder didn't deviate from the plan.

As far as title insurance, if the shed was built on your neighbour's property, then yes. However, if it's a setback issue (built on YOUR property, but too close to the property line), then it's not covered by title insurance.
It would also depend on the type of title insurance. Some only protect the lender.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
According to the OP, the open permit is for " final inspection ". All issues regarding property lines, foundation, electrical etc would be have been considered in previous inspections or even the application for a permit.

Final usually means the little details more that anything else and is usually a kind of breeze thru especially with a shed.
They want to clear the books more than anything else and can't do it without at least looking at it.
May 15, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Yes, this is a separate permit from the house itself. I got to see one side view of the shop drawing submitted with the permit when inquiring about the house and it looks built to spec. Really wish my realtor/lawyer/I knew to ask if there were still any open permits because there is potential for something like this to go completely wrong.

The people at the municipal office did say other stages were already signed off and this is the final. Still losing sleep over it. I'll update when I get it done this week.
Aug 31, 2012
753 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
They will let you know if anything is needed. And be sure if they cite anything that it was applicable to the standards when the permit was taken out not today’s standards. Unless it has been a universal change and no grandfathering allowed.
May 15, 2015
174 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Just got it all done. That was a breeze. The guy just came to see that it was completed, signed off and left. Didn't even inspect it or ask to see inside. Sleeping Face