[Openbox] Dyson Refurbished vacuums from $139

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 9:40 am
66 replies
Jul 2, 2009
39 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Bagless vacuums are very bad compared to bagged ones.

I cannot in good conscious recommend a Dyson bagless vacuum or stand-by while people consider buying them.

Don't expect to do any heavy duty work with these.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4981 posts
1999 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CaptainSnake wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 1:16 pm

I cannot in good conscious recommend a Dyson bagless vacuum or stand-by while people consider buying them.

Pros and cons for bagless vs bagged?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Oct 5, 2018
61 posts
82 upvotes
CaptainSnake wrote:

damn i was gonna buy a v6 for the shop..
Apr 18, 2017
309 posts
525 upvotes
CaptainSnake wrote:

That's curious. I don't like Dyson's since mine have been nothing but trouble (small ball + x3 Stick ones). But I'm curious why you dislike bagless units so much? Ive never owned a bagged vacuum from my central vac to shop shop vac?
Jun 19, 2010
376 posts
246 upvotes
Vancouver
CaptainSnake wrote:

They do have a small canister (the handheld ones) but are only good as an expensive dust buster replacement (I do own one, of the small handheld models from an ebay deal at $100 back when they had the 20% off coupons, it's good for small messes but not much else) I do like the ball vacuum and find it's fantastic for everything else but I wouldn't use it as a shop vac.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1635 posts
1132 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
CaptainSnake wrote:

I've used Dysons for 10 years, and I haven't found anything else that is such a pleasure to use. There is nothing else I would rather use.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1701 posts
734 upvotes
I removed all the carpet in my house so I can use robot vacuums. Best decision ever.
Nov 19, 2014
724 posts
662 upvotes
GPS - error
CaptainSnake wrote:

Dyson vacuums are great for regular home use, so efficient the filter almost never needs cleaning, and great suction.

I'm guessing most people won't use a Dyson when they're doing construction work cleanup, or they should not like you said but I would not call them bad ...

Most people who say that have never tried a Dyson and because of the price they're haters :)
Aug 19, 2018
956 posts
957 upvotes
CaptainSnake wrote:

While this is true, if all things equal bagged is always going to be superior to bagless. For handheld vacuum you are never going to get a bagged one. Dyson still made the best handheld vacuum as far as I know.
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 1:28 pm
Pros and cons for bagless vs bagged?
Bagless Pro
  • Pack more dirt because bag can provide higher pressure. Less emptying the vacuum required, I would say it is about 1/5 less, YMMY depends on the type of dirt you suck up.
  • Allow the motor to be much more powerful.
  • Can pick up much smaller dirt.
Bagless con
  • Cost. Which can run you close to a hundred of dollar per year, if you have a massive house you might need to change filter / bag every other month.
User131439 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 1:31 pm
That's curious. I don't like Dyson's since mine have been nothing but trouble (small ball + x3 Stick ones). But I'm curious why you dislike bagless units so much? Ive never owned a bagged vacuum from my central vac to shop shop vac?
Central Vac to Shop Vac still has a huge filter. They are able to be efficiency without a bag because of their massive size to allow the air flow to do the job. (Still not as good as bagged mind you) but in a compact vacuum they don't have such space to allow that without a bag.
escape1975 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 2:06 pm
Dyson vacuums are great for regular home use, so efficient the filter almost never needs cleaning, and great suction.

I'm guessing most people won't use a Dyson when they're doing construction work cleanup, or they should not like you said but I would not call them bad ...
Dyson works *fine* for their purpose. Vacuuming non-carpet places. Or people who are not picky about quality (like when they don't have allergy issue, etc)

For carpet there is no comparison. Something like a Miele will beat a Dyson at any price point when it come to canister style.
Most people who say that have never tried a Dyson and because of the price they're haters :)
Most certainly not me. I tried both. Couldn't imagine dealing with Dyson. Miele are *more* expensive than Dyson. By the way. If someone prefer Miele there's no way they dislike Dyson because of price.

You tell how good quality Dyson are by looking at how many refurbish offers there are around. If they are good where do people get all these refurbish unit?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2628 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sejad wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 2:21 pm
This openbox website doesn’t do shipping to Ontario?

Also, never heard of this site?
Q: This openbox website doesn’t do shipping to Ontario?
A: No. I added a vacuum to the cart and started to check out, and was able to select any province, so it would seem they do ship to Ontario.

Q: Also, never heard of this site?
A: Yes. (I've never.)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2628 posts
1829 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CaptainSnake wrote:

1: That's an extreme exaggeration. There are bad bagless vacuums that leak lots of dust back into the room, but there are also very good ones with HEPA filtration and very good sealing. And there are bad bagged vacuums as well as good ones.

2: I understand why your prejudice won't let you recommend a Dyson, but if you think it's in good *conscience* to stand in the way of someone else's decision to buy one, I think you'll find that most will disagree.

3: Why would anyone expect to do any heavy-duty work with a house vacuum? Do you use your bagged house vacuum as a shop vac?