[Openbox] Dyson Refurbished vacuums from $139

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 9:40 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8829 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I remember reading about an exhaustive vacuum test done by Consumer Reports and ALL the bagged vacuums outperformed the bagless ones, including Dyson.
So not only it doesn't perform as well, they are expensive.

My sister in law had one and it broke at the handle, I can't beleive how it's cheaply made, very poor construction, especially for a vacuum that expensive.

+1 robot vacuum and get a cheapo for spot cleanups.
No way I'm paying $400 and having to operate it myself, for that amount of money, I can have my robot slave do it for me.

My only complain is not getting one sooner!

Who like to do dishes? Wash clothes manually? Anyone that says it's therapeutic should find another hobby lol
Jun 12, 2007
564 posts
204 upvotes
Cheaper than the Dyson refurbished ebay store, thanks OP.

Couldnt pay me to deal with a bagged vacuum over a dyson stick vac for quick cleanups!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2633 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Repo600 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 1:38 pm
I got a bagged one after reading this:
https://amp.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... th_a_very/
CaptainSnake wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 1:39 pm
I'm not an expert on vacuums but there was a reddit AMA of someone who was.

You can find it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... _ive_lost/
OK, so repair technicians prefer bagged to bagless. They also prefer top-load washing machines to front-load for the same reasons: simpler mechanisms means fewer repairs. It's an obvious preference from the viewpoint of someone who has to work on them. The fact remains that front-load washers wash better and wear/damage clothing and bedding less. As a consumer, I'm much more concerned with the care and longevity of my clothing and bedding than with having a slightly lower chance of having a washing machine repair bill. And I'm more interested in the convenience of a bagless vacuum, and in not having to buy bags, and in not adding needless bags to landfill, than in having a slightly lower chance of having to repair my vacuum cleaner. And my refurbished Dyson has been going strong for about seven years now, with the only issue being the battery losing its charge too fast now because it's that old. So my next vacuum cleaner will be a plug-in bagless, either a Dyson or a Shark.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8829 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OakAged wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 4:12 pm
OK, so repair technicians prefer bagged to bagless. They also prefer top-load washing machines to front-load for the same reasons: simpler mechanisms means fewer repairs. It's an obvious preference from the viewpoint of someone who has to work on them. The fact remains that front-load washers wash better and wear/damage clothing and bedding less. As a consumer, I'm much more concerned with the care and longevity of my clothing and bedding than with having a slightly lower chance of having a washing machine repair bill. And I'm more interested in the convenience of a bagless vacuum, and in not having to buy bags, and in not adding needless bags to landfill, than in having a slightly lower chance of having to repair my vacuum cleaner. And my refurbished Dyson has been going strong for about seven years now, with the only issue being the battery losing its charge too fast now because it's that old. So my next vacuum cleaner will be a plug-in bagless, either a Dyson or a Shark.
Someone will have to do the math on the carbon footprint of a broken vacuum vs paper bags.
If bagless ends up breaking more often and can't be repaired, it will end up at the landfill.

My Shopvac can be run without a bag but I'll rather pay for bags than deal with clean up.

Now my Xiaomi robot vacuum and my Ryobi stick vac are bagless but thanks to the Shopvac, clean up is a breeze.
Jan 5, 2006
162 posts
260 upvotes
Hamilton
Does anyone know what the "b" in the model numbers means?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2006 posts
1024 upvotes
Vancouver
Vacuuming my wife hair for cleaning
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3994 posts
1849 upvotes
OakAged wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 3:54 pm
Q: This openbox website doesn’t do shipping to Ontario?
A: No. I added a vacuum to the cart and started to check out, and was able to select any province, so it would seem they do ship to Ontario.

Q: Also, never heard of this site?
A: Yes. (I've never.)
I didn’t see any items to be honest available online to try.
Feb 27, 2008
967 posts
436 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
We have a Dyson V7 cordless that we’ve used for commercial purposes for almost 2 years now. We vacuum two vacation rentals thoroughly and well each several times a week. The smelly Miele stays in the closet with its old bags and cord. Maybe we should sell it.

What saves time is not plugging it in everywhere, moving through the house vacuuming swiftly and efficiently. I would never go back to a corded vacuum. That said, the cannister does need to be emptied frequently.

However, following the advice of Consumer Reports, if I were to buy another cordless, I would probably buy a Shark, because they have proven more durable, and they also come with two batteries which can be switched out.
Feb 8, 2012
617 posts
288 upvotes
VANCOUVER
MooseOnLoose wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 5:58 pm
We have a Dyson V7 cordless that we’ve used for commercial purposes for almost 2 years now. We vacuum two vacation rentals thoroughly and well each several times a week. The smelly Miele stays in the closet with its old bags and cord. Maybe we should sell it.

What saves time is not plugging it in everywhere, moving through the house vacuuming swiftly and efficiently. I would never go back to a corded vacuum. That said, the cannister does need to be emptied frequently.

However, following the advice of Consumer Reports, if I were to buy another cordless, I would probably buy a Shark, because they have proven more durable, and they also come with two batteries which can be switched out.
Seems like some people who work in vacuum repair don't think Sharks are good quality and aren't built to last:
Why aren't shark vacuums any good?
Last edited by gamzerz on Aug 19th, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2018
37 posts
6 upvotes
superdave316 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 4:23 pm
Does anyone know what the "b" in the model numbers means?
“B” only gets a torqued head and no hardwood floor attachment. Torque does all floor which is better than having to switch head each time you switch floor. I have the wood floor attachment but stopped using it since I got tired of having to switch.
May 27, 2018
37 posts
6 upvotes
I ordered the V8B. Came up to $338 including HST + $10 shipping. I paid $500 for V8 absolute 2 years ago off Kijiji. Perfect for OCD like me. I use it multiple times a day everyday. Thanks op!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1340 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone ever use or heard of this site before?
Oct 6, 2018
12 posts
12 upvotes
open box is legit. the coquitlam location storefront is near me.

For dyson products, they are an official channel for dyson refurbished products, the same as buying refurbs from the official dysoncanada ebay store.
2 year warranty from dyson.

Note I don't think these prices will last.... openbox mirrors (sometimes slight trail/lag) the ebay store. Some items prices have already gone back up on ebay store but not openbox.ca. I would expect openbox.ca to follow and raise prices again.
e.g. dyson big ball cannister - ebay store went back up from $229 to $299... but openbox is still $229 for now.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2633 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sejad wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 5:34 pm
I didn’t see any items to be honest available online to try.
That's strange. I just clicked on the OP's link and I see 12 items. There's a "Check stock" button for each, which lists stock in three locations: Surrey, Vancouver, and Coquitlam. And I can add any to cart, and I can select any province at check-out. I'm using a PC - maybe you're using mobile and their mobile site is defective. Just a guess; dunno what's going on there.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
2438 posts
3294 upvotes
Langley, BC
Ecsta wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 8:28 pm
Anyone ever use or heard of this site before?
I got to the Langley one all the time. They buy returns from places like Costco and re-sell them.