Expired Hot Deals

[Opencare] Book a dentist appointment in Toronto through Opencare, get free AirPods (or $250)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 11:58 am
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18586 posts
6624 upvotes
Toronto
merrrily wrote: Does your insurance cover 100% or 90%? Typically they request that you pay the portion that isn't covered by insurance so they're not out of money. Depending on your insurance, if you have a healthcare spending account, you can get reimbursement on the 10% back.
I don't mind paying the 10% but the dentist office I contacted said they don't bill insurance directly, I have to pay upfront which is ridiculous since then I am opening up the door for insurance to reject certain expenses. Also them charging me $600 out of pocket is too high as well. So really not worth the headache for this promotion.
Jul 3, 2019
167 posts
216 upvotes
carmaster wrote: I don't mind paying the 10% but the dentist office I contacted said they don't bill insurance directly, I have to pay upfront which is ridiculous since then I am opening up the door for insurance to reject certain expenses. Also them charging me $600 out of pocket is too high as well. So really not worth the headache for this promotion.
Gotcha. I believe on Opencare you can choose whether you have insurance and they will only select dentists that do direct billing with insurance for you.
Aug 15, 2018
416 posts
696 upvotes
Vancouver
Jeenyus1 wrote: You were contemplating filing a complaint with the dental governing body because you were somehow expecting that a 'free whitening' for new patients was going to be some sort of laser whitening treatment or something prohibitively expensive and didn't bother to call the dentist to followup on exactly what they constituted as free whitening beforehand instead (aka: cheap whitening kit)? Face With Tears Of Joy

You probably call 9-1-1 when an order at a QSR is a little off too Face With Tears Of Joy.
Who hurt you dude. He wanted to file a claim because the kit he got wasn't even enough to make his teeth white. You seem so butt hurt.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14793 posts
4261 upvotes
carmaster wrote: I don't mind paying the 10% but the dentist office I contacted said they don't bill insurance directly, I have to pay upfront which is ridiculous since then I am opening up the door for insurance to reject certain expenses. Also them charging me $600 out of pocket is too high as well. So really not worth the headache for this promotion.
You can submit a quote to your insurance if you're concerned about whether it's covered or not.

Otherwise I would prefer paying upfront and filing a claim later, as you can get cashback from your CC.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Nov 10, 2007
356 posts
75 upvotes
toronto
If I have a pending $50 bonus in my account that I never applied for (didn't fill out form or send receipt) from a dental appointment earlier in the year. Can I apply for this and receive this new bonus instead?

Please advise
Feb 3, 2019
255 posts
226 upvotes
supplementking wrote: If I have a pending $50 bonus in my account that I never applied for (didn't fill out form or send receipt) from a dental appointment earlier in the year. Can I apply for this and receive this new bonus instead?

Please advise
Im wondering something similar because I booked dentist A and got a pending airpods but I want to cancel this and book to dentist B but also have a pending airpods

Not sure if this is going to be a problem claiming....
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4358 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
danomed wrote: That argument has not been tested. You can't use that argument in any medical situation. If an orthopedic surgeon operates on the wrong hip, he can't say that hip would likely cause problems as it wasn't completely healthy (no body part is "perfect.") Despite that being an extreme example, if there is no apparent cavity and the dentist is arguing for a filling (and they can vary by size/surface, etc), then it is not allowed.
Thanks for this. Good idea to go in skeptical when seeing a new dentist and make sure you need/want to have the procedure(s) done that they recommend. If I get a pushy dentist recommending all of this fancy extra stuff, I'll find a new dentist!!
Jan 18, 2012
839 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
So I booked an appointment. In Opencare, the portal says Request pending, is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5681 posts
2233 upvotes
Thornhill
Nexus1172 wrote: Who hurt you dude. He wanted to file a claim because the kit he got wasn't even enough to make his teeth white. You seem so butt hurt.
Thanks to OP I'm getting 2 Airpods or 2 $250 giftcards, not 'butthurt' at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1263 posts
593 upvotes
GTA
humanoid wrote: I'm not a dentist, but a regular guy who also goes to the dentist sometimes.

I was lured by such a promotion -- they offered a "free whitening". I was due for a checkup/cleaning, so I asked myself, why not!

Well, I have to agree with this person's assessment. Not every dentist's office participates in these promotions, and while the reasons are not necessarily bad quality (maybe they're just in a low density area), well the one I went to was pretty bad actually.

Not too bad that their care was shitty, but the "free whitening" was a scam. It was a one-time application of a gel, and if you know anything about this sort of thing, it takes more than a single application for it to be noticeable. Well, I didn't know this back then. I was sent home with an amount of product that was not enough to noticeably whiten.

I decided against filing a complaint with the governing body because, technically, I did get a whitening kit (at a value of some $25 online, when I checked)... and the last thing I wanted was to get in a battle of words just because they made me feel stupid. I chalked it up to my own gullibility, but never will I fall for one of these scams again.
Think of Opencare like Yelp, they bring customer's in based on reviews and something that Opencare gives you $50-$250 gift card for attending ANY dentist that has agreed to accept patients.

The dentist is at the whim of accepting client's from Opencare as if they are Uber Eats except just only appointments are being forwarded to the Dentist.
No other agreements between the customer, Opencare, and dentist is promised.

Any gripes you have with the Dentist is all in the hands of the Dentist, Opencare only got you a referral to book there based on what reviews you saw, promotions from the Dentist is all in the hands of the Dentist to suck you in.

Dentist's are like car mechanics, they can be good or bad, there for money, or there for quality first.
Feb 1, 2010
91 posts
6 upvotes
Signed up, but have two questions:

1. Where do I see the quote on what work is being done and the cost?
2. I don't want the airpods and prefer the 250$. Where do I select to get the cash or giftcards?
Jul 20, 2012
158 posts
229 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I just booked my appointment and the receptionist gave me a lot of very in-depth information. Apparently the dental office has to pay Opencare $400 per patient, I mentioned to her that we are getting this promo for airpods ($250 value) and this is the most she's ever heard Opencare giving out.
Feb 2, 2018
149 posts
39 upvotes
The dentist said they do
- panoramic x-rays
- polishing in addition to cleaning.

If we opt out of these ... Would it considered a full complete initial exam? Does opencare have requirements?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13685 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Which dentist you went to?

I'm thinking of going and getting a consultation. That's all.
jawnyawn wrote: I just booked my appointment and the receptionist gave me a lot of very in-depth information. Apparently the dental office has to pay Opencare $400 per patient, I mentioned to her that we are getting this promo for airpods ($250 value) and this is the most she's ever heard Opencare giving out.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 22, 2019
12 posts
3 upvotes
Did you notify the dentist office or did they call you to book the appointment. I booked one in Mid Town Toronto and requires the same process to upload a receipt, etc.
Jul 20, 2012
158 posts
229 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Which dentist you went to?

I'm thinking of going and getting a consultation. That's all.
Peanut Plaza Dental. The receptionist told me she had 11 new patients booked from this morning alone. Apparently if you do the whole new patient consult and cleaning it’s going to take 2 hours... they have to xray you and everything
May 13, 2012
551 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
I went ahead to find out what Opencare charges dentists for referrals.
They charge $350 to the dentists and opencare keeps $100-300 depending on their promotions.
If opencare had an algorithm or another way to assess the dentist to refer patients, I think they deserve it.
When you go through their questionnaires, it asks many things but the truth is all dentists accept all insurances and does all the treatment laid out on the questionnaire
So really, they are googling dentists that are registered to their system for you and you will pay it in the end.
Before most if not all dental insurances covered 100% of procedures. Now because of abuse of the system, many insurances will only cover 50%-100% depending on your policy.
Like I've mentioned before, we all lose in the end if we keep fueling stuff like this.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13685 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
RFD effect!!! We all gonna have white shining teeth, or maybe no teeth at all.
jawnyawn wrote: Peanut Plaza Dental. The receptionist told me she had 11 new patients booked from this morning alone. Apparently if you do the whole new patient consult and cleaning it’s going to take 2 hours... they have to xray you and everything

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!