Shopping Discussion

OpenCare Visa Gift cards expired. What do I do now?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2020 12:53 pm
[OP]
Oct 21, 2017
79 posts
27 upvotes
L3h2w8

OpenCare Visa Gift cards expired. What do I do now?

I got 2x $97 visa gift cards through open care referrals. I didn't use them at all, thinking that because I had a physical card I was good. But I tried buying something with one of them the other day and it says expired. I go to Prepaiddigitalsolutions.com, which handles the cards, and sent me the physical one, and its like I don't even have an account with them anymore. Do I have any recourse, or am I screwed?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10587 posts
1337 upvotes
Brampton
How long ago did you get them?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 63-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1574 posts
712 upvotes
Canada
ledhendrix wrote: I got 2x $97 visa gift cards through open care referrals. I didn't use them at all, thinking that because I had a physical card I was good. But I tried buying something with one of them the other day and it says expired. I go to Prepaiddigitalsolutions.com, which handles the cards, and sent me the physical one, and its like I don't even have an account with them anymore. Do I have any recourse, or am I screwed?
"Opencare members must redeem the offer for the gift card reward within six (6) months from the appointment date."
https://opencare.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... gift-card-
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
8998 posts
7327 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
No recourse. Chalk it up as a lesson and remember to use up any free money as soon as you can.
The law doesn't protect expiry for gift cards you obtained for free.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1047 posts
891 upvotes
Vancouver
Why not use immediately? Groceries? Gas fill-up? etc. Literally no value in holding them
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2812 posts
2640 upvotes
GTA
The physical cards you got should have and expiry date printed on them. My guess is you didn't try to use them before that date and in that case they are no longer any good.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18382 posts
5767 upvotes
Toronto
Talk to them, explain ...

Call up Visa and play dumb, see what they say.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1158 posts
1489 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Sadly, gift card laws don't protect network branded prepaid cards (i.e., amex, visa, mc). Like the others have said...better to call up and play dumb and see if they'll do anything.
Mar 26, 2008
436 posts
163 upvotes
gotta use them up before they expire. i had 10$ left on a mastercard gift card and forgot that they deduct 3$ every month after a year of having been activated and the balance ran out