Food & Drink

Is an opened jar of virgin coconut oil's shelf life indefinite?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 5:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12595 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Is an opened jar of virgin coconut oil's shelf life indefinite?

It is cheaper to buy the really large jar of virgin coconut oil than the small ones. If an open jar's shelf life is indefinite, then there is no need to buy the small jars? Or, is it untrue that it lasts indefinitely? I have never bought this stuff before!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5773 posts
2365 upvotes
No, it will go rancid over time - more quickly if it is exposed to heat (cupboard near stove) or light (window)
Mar 12, 2018
171 posts
160 upvotes
Not indefinite, but I've had a jar of the big Costco stuff for almost 3 years in the cupboard and it's fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1645 posts
916 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Definately not indefinite. However, if you have a big Costco size, the trick is the scoop out some ina jar with a clean (or better sterilized spoon). Put the big container I. A cool place in th dark, and just use the smaller one. The less times thebig container gets opened and closes and less containment’s, the longer it will last.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12595 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What brand is the Costco one? The Superstore has large tubs, including their own brand, organic virgin. Is there a difference between brands in how they taste?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jul 25, 2018
0 posts
I had one big jar of it for almost whole year and it was okay, all the time, until I run out of it.
I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder to do that for me.;Stephen Fry;funny