[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4947 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Operating System - New Laptop

Hello all,

Been awhile since I needed to buy an operating system. I will be getting a blank x1 carbon.

What type and where is the best place to get an operating system?

Thanks
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4947 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Leaning towards windows 7
Oct 12, 2005
274 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
Windows 7 also does not have support for Intel CPUs that are Kaby Lake and newer. That's 7th-generation Core CPUs. I'm sure you won't be buying a new notebook with a CPU that is over a few generations old. Your choices are only Windows 10 or some flavour of Linux.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13030 posts
2302 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If there's no Windows key sticker, the licence is probably embedded in the BIOS, in which case, you can download a Windows 8/10 ISO and it will pull the licence from the BIOS.

Personally, I use the HeiDoc tool to grab ISOs from a Microsoft site, but there are other methods:
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technolog ... nload-tool

You may also have downgrade privileges with the machine's licence, but not sure.
Jun 10, 2006
433 posts
98 upvotes
As a Linux fan, I always boot a 'live' version of my favorite distro (LMDE) on computers that I have access to, in order to check compatibility -- and, if working well, proceed to an install. More recently, if the firmware is newer (UEFI), I would also consider dual-boot installs with the 'Brunch' version of ChromeOS. I even have one machine where I triple-boot with the already-installed Windows 10.