Freebies

[OPG TO Durham] Potassium iodide (KI) pill is for keeping you & your family safe in the highly unlikely event of a nuclear accident. On

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2020 12:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1008 posts
1227 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…

Potassium iodide (KI) pill is for keeping you & your family safe in the highly unlikely event of a nuclear accident. On

Deal Link:
Price:
FREE
Savings:
Retailer:
OPG TO Durham
In the highly unlikely event of a nuclear accident, a l homes and businesses within 10 km of nuclear facilities are encouraged to have on hand potassium iodide (KI) pills. Anyone within 50 km of nuclear facilities is welcome to order KI for delivery.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) — the federal agency that monitors the safe operation of nuclear stations — now requires that all homes and businesses within 10 km of a nuclear power station receive a supply of potassium iodide (KI) pills. The pills have been available free of charge at select pharmacies, but will now be sent by mail due to increased safety standards.

In the very unlikely event of a nuclear emergency and a release of radioactive iodine to the public, KI pills will help prevent the development of thyroid cancer, and are especially effective at safeguarding children's thyroid glands. It is important for each household to have a supply of these pills because they are most effective if taken just before or soon after exposure to radioactive iodine.

The distribution of KI pills is not due to any change in the risk of a nuclear emergency and is not meant to cause alarm. We believe that staying safe means being prepared, even for the most unlikely of events

What is potassium iodide (KI)?
KI (the chemical name for potassium iodide) is a salt of stable (not radioactive) iodine. It is an essential nutrient needed in small quantities for the thyroid gland to function properly. KI comes in tablet form and can be easily swallowed.

What does it do?
The effectiveness of KI as a specific blocker of thyroid radioiodine uptake is well established. When taken in the recommended dose and at the right time, KI is effective in reducing the risk of thyroid cancer in individuals or populations at risk of inhalation or ingestion of radioiodines. KI fills up the thyroid with non-radioactive iodine and prevents the uptake of the radioactive molecules. KI does not protect against other types of radiation.
When should I take it?
In the very unlikely event of an emergency that results in a release of radiation to the public, the Chief Medical Officer of Health for Ontario will provide instructions through radio, TV, Internet and other available channels on where, when, how, and by whom KI should be taken.

It is important to wait for this notification. Do not take the pills unless instructed to do so. You would only need to take the pills for a short period of time, likely 1 – 2 days.

How much should I take?
Pregnant or breastfeeding women 2 tablets (1 single dose only)
Adults 18+ 2 tablets every 24 hours
Children 3 – 18 1 tablet every 24 hours
Children 1 month – 3 years ½ tablet daily crushed in food or fluids
Children under 1 month ¼ tablet dissolved in fluids (1 single dose only)
If necessary, and for younger children, tablets can be crushed in food or dissolved in fluids.

In case of overdose, get medical help or call the Ontario Poison Centre immediately at 1‑800‑268‑9017 or 416‑813‑5900.

Are there any side effects?
The risk of side effects from taking a dose of KI is extremely low for all age groups who have normal thyroid function. The overall benefit during a nuclear emergency outweighs the risks of side effects.

There is an increased risk of side effects for people with thyroid disorders i.e., auto-immune thyroiditis, Graves’ disease, iodine deficiency and nodular goiter. These disorders are more common in adults and the elderly, and are rare in children.

Rare side effects in other parts of the body, such as gastrointestinal effects or hypersensitivity reaction, may occur but are generally mild.

People who are sensitive to iodine, who have an existing or previous thyroid disorder, or have any other concerns, should consult their doctor or nurse practitioner prior to taking KI.

Where should I store them?
When stored in a dry location between 15 and 30 degrees Celsius, the KI pills are effective for up to 12 years.

If this isn’t enough for my family or business, where can I order more?
To order more KI pills please use our online order form.

https://preparetobesafe.ca/order
SOAP & WASH YOUR HANDS! Cough InTo Arm Pits.
I Don't Take Prisoners. We Eat Them.
Better to have a Green Thumb than a Brown Nose!
I am Offended You're Offended.
19 replies
Oct 2, 2007
670 posts
207 upvotes
Montreal
I was all in after watching the tv show Chernobyl but know that it seems to be for specific addresses. When I registered, it said : "Your postal code is outside the eligible zone for the KI distribution program." thanks for the share nonetheless! Free is free! Thumbs Up Sign🤣
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1812 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
This has been posted before.
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
9433 posts
3376 upvotes
I wonder if those pills come with an expiry date ... cuz there is a good chance they might get expired by the time there is a need to swallow one.
May 8, 2007
978 posts
272 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Right after the Japan nuclear reactor disaster a few years ago there was a shortage of kelp pills in drug stores here in BC, shortage lasted months and was probably caused by people worried about radiation. Kelp contains iodine and the pills are normally bought by people who want to have a supplement to normal diet sources of iodine. There was almost no radiation detected in BC so it was a false alarm.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4350 posts
6706 upvotes
Ontario
Considering three premiers are in agreement to expand small nuclear reactors, those pills might become a household staple in more areas within 5 years' time.
2020 quest to find Portuguese smoked paprika 💡
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4350 posts
6706 upvotes
Ontario
The first two minutes of the above video clip were intriguing. Not sure I'd want a pre-made kit nor to experience life as a human mole underground aka in the vault.
2020 quest to find Portuguese smoked paprika 💡
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20103 posts
20824 upvotes
Toronto
Bump

We ok for now...

Images
  • IMG_-c4c0uu.jpg
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Jul 24, 2019
322 posts
308 upvotes
Canada
Thanks OP. They mailed a supply to us since we are loco, er local
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2019
1008 posts
1227 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
sprung wrote: Bump

We ok for now...

DAMN!
I was prepared for Zombie Halocaust at Convention Centre, Leafs Practice at Nathan's Phillips Sq and Pantless Dance at the End of the World.
Looks like it's safe to leave Dundas Cineplex
SOAP & WASH YOUR HANDS! Cough InTo Arm Pits.
I Don't Take Prisoners. We Eat Them.
Better to have a Green Thumb than a Brown Nose!
I am Offended You're Offended.