• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2017 2:21 pm
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
33 posts
13 upvotes

Opinion - 2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD versus 2016 Ford Explorer Limited

Good Morning
After a few months of looking at both new and used vehicles, we have narrowed down our car purchase to a 2015 Acura MDX SH-AWD or 2016 Ford Explorer Limited.
Would appreciate any/all input of pros versus cons.
This will be a long term hold for us and are really not considering residual value.
Both vehicles are similarly priced and the Explorer has less mileage at 18k versus 31k.
Thanks for your input!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
860 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Ford Explorers don't have a great reputation for reliability. I know a couple of police officers in different forces in BC that drive them. According to them the Explorers are always in the garage.
The LAPD has several hundred of them and are having constant issues with exhaust leaking into the cabins. One of the guys I know confirms they have had that problem too.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... story.html

Just yesterday I was talking to a woman that drives a 2016 Explorer. Hers has given her a number of problems including just recently something in the suspension breaking and a wheel falling off while driving on the highway. It scared the hell out of her.

Acura. No such issues.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3385 posts
2188 upvotes
Montreal
Gotta admit Explorer is a much better looking than MDX though,
May 17, 2017
294 posts
190 upvotes
Waterloo
The Explorer gets "Marginal" on the IIHS Small Overlap crash test and feels a lot smaller on the inside due to the huge pillars and dashboard of the platform that it's on (Volvo D1)
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
33 posts
13 upvotes
Poleman- thanks for the input and link! Much appreciated.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
33 posts
13 upvotes
AstulzerRSX wrote: The Explorer gets "Marginal" on the IIHS Small Overlap crash test and feels a lot smaller on the inside due to the huge pillars and dashboard of the platform that it's on (Volvo D1)
Thanks for the input! Have to agree re: pillars and dashboard.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2009
33 posts
13 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Gotta admit Explorer is a much better looking than MDX though,
jzmtl - totally agree. We do like the looks of the explorer versus the mdx.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35705 posts
21800 upvotes
Center of Universe
I own a MY2016 Explorer Sport and it is the best bang for the buck, in terms of feature, towing capacity and power.
Nothing out there sub $60K can compete and the 3rd row is very practical despite hearsay from those that never road in one.

While reliability is still up in the air, mine has had no major issues, but does have several minor annoyances; that I can live with.

The 2016 MDX Elite was my third choice, but is on the smaller side and over $60K.