Automotive

Opinion needed: KIA FORTE 2019 EX for $290 per month taxes (3 yr lease) worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 6:22 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
177 posts
96 upvotes

Opinion needed: KIA FORTE 2019 EX for $290 per month taxes (3 yr lease) worth it?

Hello peeps,

Offered a Kia Forte 2019 EX for $290 3 year lease with $0 down and 20k km each year. Do you think it is worth it? Do you recommend financing?

It's either that or the Corolla for me but Corolla 2020 interest rates are pretty high as of now specially the hybrid.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5743 posts
4400 upvotes
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Hello peeps,

Offered a Kia Forte 2019 EX for $290 3 year lease with $0 down and 20k km each year. Do you think it is worth it? Do you recommend financing?

It's either that or the Corolla for me but Corolla 2020 interest rates are pretty high as of now specially the hybrid.
Have you driven both? Or is this just lowest price possible?

$290 is about right and there are more standard option on the Kia vs equally priced Corolla. While both are CVT, Corolla having 1st gear as physical make me hate it less.

So when I was helping my cousin deciding between Forte or Corolla hatch, ended up with Corolla even if it's $10 more per month. (After $1k from dealer, $3500 sec deposit for 1.5% rate cut and another 1% for loyalty).

Also he uses iPhone so it also help this decision. End of the day, the driving experience is way better on the Corolla even if Forte has more toys.

Edit: just realize Forte is a 3yr lease. Take it, that's a good price if tax included.
Feb 10, 2018
235 posts
39 upvotes
Piggy backing on this thread, how's Kia compared to Honda or Mazda?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13963 posts
8371 upvotes
Toronto
binarynumber wrote: Piggy backing on this thread, how's Kia compared to Honda or Mazda?
Last I knew, all had 4 wheels and the ability to move when being commanded by a person of limited to average intelligence. All cost money and equally, all perform the same tasks with relative easy.

GL!

Seriously, compared in what terms?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 10, 2018
235 posts
39 upvotes
koffey wrote: Last I knew, all had 4 wheels and the ability to move when being commanded by a person of limited to average intelligence. All cost money and equally, all perform the same tasks with relative easy.

GL!

Seriously, compared in what terms?
Sorry should have specific, in terms of reliability, issues & cost of upkeep?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5743 posts
4400 upvotes
binarynumber wrote: Piggy backing on this thread, how's Kia compared to Honda or Mazda?
Maintenance, everybody is 2 times a year. Price varies by dealerships even within brands.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you DIY but if you lease, make sure to document everything.

From a mechanical/technical perspective, if you are shopping for this class and leasing, it doesn't really matter. Just watch of the lowest payment. Koreans are not cheap any more but you do get more standard option. Forte is particularly aggressive on this front. I think residual are a bit worse with Koreans but they are more willingly to give you discount up front to offset it while the Japanese are a bit more firm in price.

Reliability and issues, everybody is about the same. Hyundai/Kia got engine fires. Honda got oil dilution/airbag, Toyota got airbag.

If you are one of those people that like to keep cars past warranty, stick with Japanese. Rightly or wrongly, they still retain value better over time.
Last edited by Xtrema on Aug 12th, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13963 posts
8371 upvotes
Toronto
binarynumber wrote: Sorry should have specific, in terms of reliability, issues & cost of upkeep?
Xtrema wrote: Maintenance, everybody is 2 times a year. Price varies by dealerships even within brands.

Of course, it doesn't matter if you DIY but if you lease, make sure to document everything.

From a mechanical/technical perspective, if you are shopping for this class and leasing, it doesn't really matter. Just watch of the lowest payment. Koreans are not cheap any more but you do get more standard option. Forte is particularly aggressive on this front. I think residual are a bit worse with Koreans but they are more willingly to give you discount up front to offset it while the Japanese are a bit more firm in price.

If you are one of those people that like to keep cars past warranty, stick with Japanese. Rightly or wrongly, they still retain value better over time.
This is pretty well much on point. Ain't nothing wrong with the korean brands anymore really, just stigma.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3637 posts
2458 upvotes
GTA
kimmelite wrote: OP, good car. Why not buy and keep for a decade or more? Why lease?
Some have said that leasing is fleecing.
https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/busi ... 100-stupid
Because not everyone wants to be seen driving around decade old Kia. The whole point of lease is to drive new, with full warranty car every 3 -4 years. Insurance claims don't affect the resale value of the car - in the end you just return the car and walk away. Stupid is financing cars for 84 or 96 months because people can't afford the payments to begin with. Negotiate good lease terms and price, and you can even make few grand at the end buying it out and selling privately. You will not make money on Forte or Kia in general, but cars like Highlander, Pilot, CRV will always sell fast for top dollars.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
177 posts
96 upvotes
yea rather leasing a KIA than financing due to the reasons Tommy74 listed
Jan 22, 2014
160 posts
118 upvotes
Guelph
good price. I test drove a EX premium last week. pretty good car.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18957 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Have you driven both? Or is this just lowest price possible?

$290 is about right and there are more standard option on the Kia vs equally priced Corolla. While both are CVT, Corolla having 1st gear as physical make me hate it less.

So when I was helping my cousin deciding between Forte or Corolla hatch, ended up with Corolla even if it's $10 more per month. (After $1k from dealer, $3500 sec deposit for 1.5% rate cut and another 1% for loyalty).

Also he uses iPhone so it also help this decision. End of the day, the driving experience is way better on the Corolla even if Forte has more toys.

Edit: just realize Forte is a 3yr lease. Take it, that's a good price if tax included.
I thought the beige corolla RFD recommendation was an urban legend.

:)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54013 posts
18957 upvotes
I think I will be leasing if the next gen TLX will require below $400/month leasing over four years.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5743 posts
4400 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I thought the beige corolla RFD recommendation was an urban legend.

:)
Not anymore when they put in proper suspension in the back AND give you color like Flame Blue and Oxide Bronze and every model get radar cruise as standard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)