Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Opinion On New Bike

Thinking of replacing my very old Bike and came across this, dont know anything about the company but I like the way the bike looks and the price is decent too. Seem to have more modern brakes/shocks etc

Any thoughts on this? I'll just be using it here and there to bike around and go on some trails, nothing special.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B092BM ... XMJ9&psc=1

more info here - https://www.techvillestore.com/products ... 6821064887

Thanks
29 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14265 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto
It doesn’t even list the components

Hard PASS

Try to get a Northrock from Costco for less $
Last edited by Swerny on Jun 11th, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What would you want to know Specifically? I found this on their website.

Specifications

Wheel Size: 29 Inches

1. Frame:

The frame is made of aluminum alloy 6061, top tube: ∮38mm, bottom tube: #50.8mm, middle tube: #31.8mm*2.2T, big head tube: 120mm

Specially shaped design, internal routing and welded using a fish-scale technique. Finished with electrostatic paint and three-dimensional decals.

2. Front fork:

Aluminum alloy, diameter 31.8, oil pressure spring adjustable locking shock absorbing fork

Vertical tube: ∮28.6x200mm (actual), fork leg ∮38mm with disc brake fork piece, open gears: 100mmx3/8", fork piece 5.0T

3. Front Assembly:

Concealed ball bearings

4. Handlebar:

Aluminum alloy 720L, swallow shape #22.2*#31.8*2.2T*720mm, H:30mm

5. Handlebar tube:

-17-degree aluminum alloy, 6 pegs locking #28.6*#31.8 toothless, K-shaped handlebar, front extension: 90mm

6. Saddle tube:

Aluminum 300L without clip #27.2x300mmx2.0T sand black colour

7. Saddle seat:

Brushed leather surface, sports type

8. Sprocket set:

Aluminum 1/2 "x3/32 "x24/34/42T, 170mm crank

9. Center shaft assembly:

Sealed bearings

10. Chain:

21 speed position chain

11. Rims:

29x32Hx1.75x14G Black aluminum double dimensional cutter rim, 25mm high

12. Front and rear axles:

High carbon steel ball hubs, front wheel removable

13. Tires:

JILUER 29*2.10 50TPI

14. Brake handles:

Integrated aluminum variable braking

15. Brakes:

160 diameter mechanical disc brake

16. Gear system:
SHIMANO 21 speed
Swerny wrote: It doesn’t even list the components

Hard PASS

Try to get a Northrock from Costco fur less $
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1107 posts
610 upvotes
Manitoba
Get a hardtail from a decent manufacturer and use until something breaks and upgrade from there.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Any suggestions? I looked around but this is the one that looks the best to me so far from what I have found. Looked on Canadian tire/sportcheck/costco/amazon
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: Get a hardtail from a decent manufacturer and use until something breaks and upgrade from there.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1643 posts
94 upvotes
It really depends on how you plan to use it. If you just want to ride around with small kids, maybe do some simple gravel paths, it should be OK. It won't be overly light or easy to service, but for light use it should be OK

Anything much more serious than that, probably better to pass. As others have suggested, Costco can get you into a better bike at or around the same price. If you are actually planning to take it onto dirt, get a "real" bike from a proper shop... although that will be pretty much impossible this year....
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For sure it wont be anything serious, This is simply for me to bike for fun and get some exercise. Go down some paved roads, some basic gravel/dirt paths. I have been using some 15 year old CCM bike in the past and its been ok but had it recently fixed and the wheels easily get out of round so I dont want to put anymore money into it and I don't really trust it if I go own a big fast hill lol. Thats the only reason why I'm even looking

Costco is already sold out was also looking
BobW wrote: It really depends on how you plan to use it. If you just want to ride around with small kids, maybe do some simple gravel paths, it should be OK. It won't be overly light or easy to service, but for light use it should be OK

Anything much more serious than that, probably better to pass. As others have suggested, Costco can get you into a better bike at or around the same price. If you are actually planning to take it onto dirt, get a "real" bike from a proper shop... although that will be pretty much impossible this year....
Jan 14, 2015
26 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If OP is knowledgeable about bikes, he wouldn't be asking, so please give helpful answers.

I would ask OP, will cycling be one of your primary form of exercise? If yes and you will ride often, get a better brand name bike with decent components because you'll want the reliability and serviceability. If no, then Costco ones are recommended here due to the price for the components your are getting. Otherwise Canadian Tire bikes are also good enough. Stores are opening again later today so you can definitely go to Canadian Tire to check what's available.

Personally I wouldn't get a unknown/lesser brand bikes, especially through Amazon.

For the "out of round" wheel on your 15 year old bike, I would recommend asking a local bike shop or any friend who's knowledgeable about bikes to see whether if it's something simple to fix by a mechanic, and weigh the cost of that fix vs cost of a new bike.

There's nothing wrong with casually riding an older bike. If you really want cycling to be a primary form of exercise and/or go with a different riding style (full on mountain trail biking, max speed on a road bike, etc), or current bike is really beyond repair (e.g. something broke and can't get older style parts), then you'd want to considering buying a new one.

Alternatively explorer plenty of used bikes on K-j-j- or something that's more within your budget. Though with any second hand item, you may need to bring a biking friend to check the it over and be sure it is in good enough condition for the posted price.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20688 posts
7762 upvotes
Socially Distanced
How many kilometres do you plan on riding a year?

When people say it doesn't tell you the components what they are saying is that the bike is using no name low end parts. The only thing i could see is the Shimano Tourney derailleur which is entry level.

All that said it comes down to how much you will use it, if you are going to ride 50km/year then this will be fine, if you want 5,000km a year this is not worth buying.

Oh and a bent wheel is no reason to replace your old bike, wheels are easily replaceable and can be had cheap (or expensive if you prefer).
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7451 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
Bring your old bike to bike pirates to check out the wheel/repair or replace..and get some new brake pads and cables before spending on this pretty much no name bike.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1107 posts
610 upvotes
Manitoba
sickcars wrote: Any suggestions? I looked around but this is the one that looks the best to me so far from what I have found. Looked on Canadian tire/sportcheck/costco/amazon
In no specific order, Norco, Trek, Rocky Mountain, Giant, Specialized, etc...look for slightly used ones if you don't want to spend a lot on the bike specially nowadays that there is stock shortage on new bikes.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Been trying to find the brands of the parts & still waiting to hear back from the manufacture but so far this is the info I got - tongli disc brakes, Shimano drivetrain, oil spring shocks don't know thee exact brand.

As for how much i will be biking it will be low, At most a few times a week if not likely less and usually my rides are around or under 10km. So I see myself Maybe doing around 100km/year if that, since I'm pretty busy with work currently.

So its not only the bend wheel, last year I had new tires put on/new rear Hub/bearing/tune up/Straighten wheels etc. Got the bike back went for a ride and the wheel was loose & the wheel was bent, took it back they fixed it & i took it out a few times and the wheel is bent again and seems like its got a little play in it again, im guessing because of the hub/bearing but since it was the end of the season I put it in storage. So if I bring it to a shop again I'll have to pay to repair it again and put more money into it, also its a bit smaller 26" bike so another reason to upgrade.

Thanks
Quentin5 wrote: How many kilometres do you plan on riding a year?

When people say it doesn't tell you the components what they are saying is that the bike is using no name low end parts. The only thing i could see is the Shimano Tourney derailleur which is entry level.

All that said it comes down to how much you will use it, if you are going to ride 50km/year then this will be fine, if you want 5,000km a year this is not worth buying.

Oh and a bent wheel is no reason to replace your old bike, wheels are easily replaceable and can be had cheap (or expensive if you prefer).
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11156 posts
13713 upvotes
Vancouver
sickcars wrote: Any suggestions? I looked around but this is the one that looks the best to me so far from what I have found. Looked on Canadian tire/sportcheck/costco/amazon
You're looking everywhere except at a bike shop. Shopping for bikes is like shopping for cars. You don't go car shopping to Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Costco, or Amazon. You go to a dealer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7451 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
For riding 100km a year I wouldn't bother complicating things with a no name front suspension and no name disc brakes.. Just get the Raleigh hybrid at Canadian Tire for $500 and call it a day if you are only comfortable buying new bikes. The big name brands you are probably looking at next year to get a geared hybrid.
Personally I'd rather have a 90's rigid with some fresh parts on it..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I did look at my local bike shop but nothing i really liked and also majority of the better branded bikes are more then I'm willing to spend since I don't bike a lot. I'm looking to spend around $500 if not less.
I would like a bike with front suspension and disk brakes & looks good.
Kiraly wrote: You're looking everywhere except at a bike shop. Shopping for bikes is like shopping for cars. You don't go car shopping to Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Costco, or Amazon. You go to a dealer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just looked at this one and its kinda nice - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rale ... p.html#srp
So this is also possible, The name brand ones are out of my price range, for the little amount of Bike ride I can't justify spending much more then $500

thanks
frogger wrote: For riding 100km a year I wouldn't bother complicating things with a no name front suspension and no name disc brakes.. Just get the Raleigh hybrid at Canadian Tire for $500 and call it a day if you are only comfortable buying new bikes. The big name brands you are probably looking at next year to get a geared hybrid.
Personally I'd rather have a 90's rigid with some fresh parts on it..
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20172 posts
5593 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: I did look at my local bike shop but nothing i really liked and also majority of the better branded bikes are more then I'm willing to spend since I don't bike a lot. I'm looking to spend around $500 if not less.
I would like a bike with front suspension and disk brakes & looks good.
Cheap disk brakes can squeal and be worse performing then decent V-brakes (Kool-Stop pads are like $20) . Cheap suspension can quickly seize, squeak and adds unnecessary weight, resulting in a worse riding experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7451 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Just looked at this one and its kinda nice - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rale ... p.html#srp
So this is also possible, The name brand ones are out of my price range, for the little amount of Bike ride I can't justify spending much more then $500

thanks
If you want a really crappy suspension because you think it looks cool sure, but anyone who knows about bikes knows that it is pretty much junk. Nothing cool about riding a dual suspension bike on the road.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11536 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I prefer just the front suspension but either it does not look good or it costs to much lol.
frogger wrote: If you want a really crappy suspension because you think it looks cool sure, but anyone who knows about bikes knows that it is pretty much junk. Nothing cool about riding a dual suspension bike on the road.