• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 5:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16389 posts
11442 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Just looked at this one and its kinda nice - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rale ... p.html#srp
So this is also possible, The name brand ones are out of my price range, for the little amount of Bike ride I can't justify spending much more then $500

thanks
that's worse than the first one you linked. It will weigh 40+ pounds and the "suspension" is useless

Look for a Northrock from Costco for under $500.

Stores re-opened this morning for non-essential items.
Last edited by Swerny on Jun 15th, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7647 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: That's a pretty good deal actually.
Grab it before someone else does.. Not a big fan of 32lb+ bikes but this seems to be your best bet,
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25290 posts
10264 upvotes
Socially Distanced
sickcars wrote: Been trying to find the brands of the parts & still waiting to hear back from the manufacture but so far this is the info I got - tongli disc brakes, Shimano drivetrain, oil spring shocks don't know thee exact brand.

As for how much i will be biking it will be low, At most a few times a week if not likely less and usually my rides are around or under 10km. So I see myself Maybe doing around 100km/year if that, since I'm pretty busy with work currently.

So its not only the bend wheel, last year I had new tires put on/new rear Hub/bearing/tune up/Straighten wheels etc. Got the bike back went for a ride and the wheel was loose & the wheel was bent, took it back they fixed it & i took it out a few times and the wheel is bent again and seems like its got a little play in it again, im guessing because of the hub/bearing but since it was the end of the season I put it in storage. So if I bring it to a shop again I'll have to pay to repair it again and put more money into it, also its a bit smaller 26" bike so another reason to upgrade.

Thanks
Normally i would not say this but at 100km a year you should get a few years from this bike, also bearing in mind covid related supply/demand.
Expect that it might last 3-5 years. More than that is gravy. But there is no guarantee you would even get 3 years.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12951 posts
4553 upvotes
Ontario
Been trying to contact them to get more info and their customer service seems to be Horrible. I msged them 3 or 4 different ways and only heard back from one and all they did was send me a link to their website which provides little to no info on the specific parts of their bikes. So because they are annoying me with almost no support at all I'm looking at other options, so unless some really good price drop comes on the bike I may pass on them.

Quentin5 wrote: Normally i would not say this but at 100km a year you should get a few years from this bike, also bearing in mind covid related supply/demand.
Expect that it might last 3-5 years. More than that is gravy. But there is no guarantee you would even get 3 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25290 posts
10264 upvotes
Socially Distanced
sickcars wrote: Been trying to contact them to get more info and their customer service seems to be Horrible. I msged them 3 or 4 different ways and only heard back from one and all they did was send me a link to their website which provides little to no info on the specific parts of their bikes. So because they are annoying me with almost no support at all I'm looking at other options, so unless some really good price drop comes on the bike I may pass on them.
Good plan, if this is how they treat prospective customer, imagine if you needed warranty service...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12951 posts
4553 upvotes
Ontario
Exactly, If the bike is put together and works good I doubt I will need warranty (assuming its 1 year warranty) But if the bike comes with an issue/damage then trying to get a hold of them is going to be a nightmare!
Quentin5 wrote: Good plan, if this is how they treat prospective customer, imagine if you needed warranty service...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25290 posts
10264 upvotes
Socially Distanced
sickcars wrote: Exactly, If the bike is put together and works good I doubt I will need warranty (assuming its 1 year warranty) But if the bike comes with an issue/damage then trying to get a hold of them is going to be a nightmare!
You would be surprised, i have used warranties more than once over the years.
Apr 30, 2020
274 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
i'd understand buying an amazon bike if it was like $150, but at $500 you can actually get a decent bike.
i know supply is low these days, but even check out somewhere like sportchek for a gt or diamondhead bike , i'd 100% rather buy one of those over some no name amazon brand.
if you have a good friend that knows bikes then the best way would be to have him/her find you one for $500 or less on craigslist.. you'd get a nice bike that way from a reputable brand, with decent parts.

if you're willing to spend an extra $200 or so you can just walk into a trek or giant store and ask about when their next shipment is for cheap mtbs or hybrids.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)