Home & Garden

opinion or solution needed (privacy for a carport)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 12:26 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver

opinion or solution needed (privacy for a carport)

Hi guys,

Need some help here. Just bought a property with a fully unenclosed carport, there is no walls or doors on all side of it, only the roof. I know that I need a permit to enclose it, but I really don't want to go down that path since time and cost limitation.

All I want is a bit of privacy, and can store a bit of stuff in there. it doesn't has to be a fully functional garage. Does anybody have any idea / workaround / solutions. Btw, I live in BC.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 18th, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added detail to title for clarity
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8389 posts
4080 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Stuff inside may/will still get stolen.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Yup. I’m fully aware of that. So the stuff I’m going to store just some invaluable. The main goal is trying to get some privacy.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3867 posts
1021 upvotes
Would some trellis or privacy screens work? Series of tall planters?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
How do you get along with the neighbours?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18044 posts
12762 upvotes
Markham
google privacy screen, hit Images and there are ideas there.

Hard to give a lot of ideas without knowing specs of space, budget, ability of OP, temporary vs permanent, security needs etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8389 posts
4080 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Something that may work is using wood pallets for walls but it may also be tempting for an arsonist to torch.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
Exterior roller shades or side curtains.

You close them when needing privacy and open when not needed or too windy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
I like being watched. You should try.
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
How do we even answer this question without a picture op?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: How do you get along with the neighbours?
This is very important. Most cities bylaw enforcement is complaint-based. Cozy up to your new neighbours and they won't complain about anything you do. If you don't get along, then they'll sic the bylaw enforcement officers and cause you headaches with anything you do...

Most municipalities consider trellis/lattice the same as a fence, so it'll be consider enclosed. But if you get along with your new neighbours, it'll likely be okay even if it's legally not.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Katedontbreak wrote: How do we even answer this question without a picture op?
sorry about that man, I haven't moved in yet. I'm just thinking about it. may be put it in action later.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
kr0zet wrote: How do you get along with the neighbours?
the street I will move to has mixed type of houses and garage/carport. one of my neighbor has a proper enclosed garage, the other one added a garage door or a rollup door to his carport entrance and left other three sides open. but he has a fence along his carport on this property. I may end up do the same thing. but just want to make there is a better solution.

Thanks anyway.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
jm1 wrote: This is very important. Most cities bylaw enforcement is complaint-based. Cozy up to your new neighbours and they won't complain about anything you do. If you don't get along, then they'll sic the bylaw enforcement officers and cause you headaches with anything you do...

Most municipalities consider trellis/lattice the same as a fence, so it'll be consider enclosed. But if you get along with your new neighbours, it'll likely be okay even if it's legally not.
Thanks for the heads up. didn't actually know about this. learnt something new.

Thanks,
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: google privacy screen, hit Images and there are ideas there.

Hard to give a lot of ideas without knowing specs of space, budget, ability of OP, temporary vs permanent, security needs etc.
thanks for the input.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
random pattern wrote: Would some trellis or privacy screens work? Series of tall planters?
Thanks for the idea, I look it up and they seem to be a good idea.
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
chekazhou wrote: sorry about that man, I haven't moved in yet. I'm just thinking about it. may be put it in action later.
I would suggest some kind of fabric wall. Fabric coverings on structures are not considered permanent, so even if your neighbour isn't kind, it should not be a problem.
Aug 29, 2019
996 posts
453 upvotes
chekazhou wrote: the street I will move to has mixed type of houses and garage/carport. one of my neighbor has a proper enclosed garage, the other one added a garage door or a rollup door to his carport entrance and left other three sides open. but he has a fence along his carport on this property. I may end up do the same thing. but just want to make there is a better solution.

Thanks anyway.
They do have cover kits for carports but they can be pricey. Canadiantire and wayfair have them for $300.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5142 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
All streets with so called car ports look ghetto around here. Garbage, hoarder's stuff, old junk bicycles, scooters - you can see all of it under those carports. Not sure how is it in BC. Why not consider proper shed in the back and use car port for porting cars vs junk storage? If you need privacy for your items, I guess it's stuff that not everyone wants to see.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2014
27 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Tommy74 wrote: All streets with so called car ports look ghetto around here. Garbage, hoarder's stuff, old junk bicycles, scooters - you can see all of it under those carports. Not sure how is it in BC. Why not consider proper shed in the back and use car port for porting cars vs junk storage? If you need privacy for your items, I guess it's stuff that not everyone wants to see.
Well. with the carport in place I dont have a very big yard left, actually its pretty small. Also, a shed bigger than 10 sq meter still requite a permit in bc according to BC building code. The privacy is for the house since people can see through the carport to the back of the house, not the stuff Im going to put in there.

Thanks for your opinion anyway.