[OP]
Banned
Sep 11, 2003
521 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Opinion on Valspar paint at Lowes

Hi,

I will be painting my exterior garage and trim next week, and I'm curious to know what ppls opinions are in regards to the Valspar paints...specifically their exterior paints. Is Valspar paints worth the money? And how does it compare to CIL, RONAS, Behrs, Ralph Lauren, Benjamin and Moores in quality (i.e mold resistance, peeling, durability, colour brightness?

Also, if I buy the paint now, and then leave it sitting in the garage for two weeks and then I open to use it, would there be any issue in terms of consistency(paint being runny at first and then thick in the can) when I paint?

thanks everybody for your help! :razz:
12 replies
Feb 6, 2009
75 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
I only used their interior paint and it is comparable to Behr. Pretty thick and good coverage.
Dec 25, 2002
650 posts
214 upvotes
We just finished painting our exterior wood garage doors and steel front door with Valspar Duramax exterior paint from Lowes. I really like using it. The coverage is really good and it goes on smoothly. We actually used the same paint on the exterior of our old house and we liked to so much that we chose to use it again on this house. It is on sale right now too so it's a good time to pick it up. Paint will be fine for a couple of weeks. We have used paint a couple of years old - as long as it is stored properly it won't be a problem.

Kelly
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1474 upvotes
Brampton
We used Velspar paint on our garage doors & so far the paint looks great after 1 year. Covered very well & easy to apply.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Sep 11, 2003
521 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
rbnt wrote: what is the sale on paint at Lowes?
Lowes has 15% off on these paints:

3.78L Duramax Exterior Latex flat paint for $34.82 (reg $40.97)
3.78L Duramax Exterior Satin Paint for $35.67 (reg $41.97)
3.78L Duramax Exterior Semi-Gloss Paint for $36.52 (reg $42.97)

http://www.valsparatlowes.ca/products/p ... Paint.html
[OP]
Banned
Sep 11, 2003
521 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
kellya wrote: We just finished painting our exterior wood garage doors and steel front door with Valspar Duramax exterior paint from Lowes. I really like using it. The coverage is really good and it goes on smoothly. We actually used the same paint on the exterior of our old house and we liked to so much that we chose to use it again on this house. It is on sale right now too so it's a good time to pick it up. Paint will be fine for a couple of weeks. We have used paint a couple of years old - as long as it is stored properly it won't be a problem.

Kelly

Thanks for your opinion. I'll be buying them tomorrow. :)
Mar 7, 2010
63 posts
12 upvotes
Vaughan
Curious if anyone else out there has an opinion on Valspar paint? Considering it for our new build.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1450 posts
259 upvotes
Grimsby
I have used Valspar on and off for over 60 years now and never had a complaint.

The issue today is who owns what and is it all made at one or two locations and labelled to suit with only slight variations in content?
Sep 18, 2005
66 posts
It's good paint. There are 2 lines ultra premium and the signature brand. The designer colours goes into the signature line only. IE Eddie Bauer,Laura Ashley,Waverly, and creative colours.

Both lines have 1 coat coverage so it goes on very thick.
Jan 3, 2007
42 posts
1 upvote
wonderful paint! We use Valspar for the exterior and the coverage is wonderful!!
Jun 11, 2009
120 posts
19 upvotes
Oakville
Personally I like Beauti-Tone from Home Hardware. The Designer Series line is as good if not better than Benjamin Moore's premium line. I stay within these two brands and have never been disappointed.