Automotive

Opinions: 2020 Toyota Camry vs 2020 Hyundai Sonata

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 10:03 pm
Feb 25, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes

Opinions: 2020 Toyota Camry vs 2020 Hyundai Sonata

I am planning on getting a new car later in the year, probably spring to late summer. I currently have a 2015 Camry SE with about 150,000km. I've looked at a lot of different vehicles and driven a lot either as rentals or test drives, and I've narrowed things down to the two main cars I am interested in... either another Camry SE (2020), or the brand new Hyundai Sonata (2020). I will finance so I am not buying either of them tomorrow, will be waiting for interest rates to drop a bit as the year goes on. I know there are some pretty good deals on 2019 leftover Camry but I am still a few months away from being in the right financial position, and I don't want to buy something when it is still winter. I want to wait until it can be had for a rate of 1.9 or lower for the 2020s.

These are some of the pros and cons in my mind, wondering if anyone has any input. This is a daily driver/family car and I put higher than average KM per year (32,000-35,000).

Toyota Camry:
Pros:
- Like the way it drives. Much nicer/smoother than my 2015.
- Toyota quality, I have had pretty good luck with my 2015, it went 146,000km on original brakes even.
- From what I understand I get a 1% discount on financing since I will be trading in another Toyota (loyalty).
- Price is reasonable: $28,350 MSRP for the SE and $31,250 for the SE upgrade (bigger wheels, sunroof, etc).
- AWD becoming available in spring (but no pricing on it yet for Canada).

Cons:
- Design is older than the Sonata. The 2020 is basically the same as the 2018, and 2021 will probably have a "refresh" which might bother me if I just bought a 2020.
- Warranty not as good as Hyundai (100k powertrain/60k comprehensive on Toyota).
- Toyota generally has higher interest rates than Hyundai.
- Lacks some of the more modern safety/self driving features (has adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and emergency stop... doesn't have lane trace assist or adaptive cruise with stop and go in bumper to bumper traffic).

2020 Sonata:
Pros:
- Literally just came out, fresh design, looks better than Camry (in my opinion).
- Better/more modern interior and infotainment screen.
- Has a more solid feel when it comes to doors closing, buttons, etc.
- Drives just as nice as Camry as far as handling and ride.
- Better value for money, has more features and the full suite of driver assist for similar price as Camry. The Sonata Sport is similar price as the Camry SE Upgrade (MSRP $31,299) and has a full pano sunroof (regular sunroof on Camry).
- Better warranty (5yr/100k on everything).
- Will probably eventually have 0% or low interest.

Cons:
- Brand new design, if there are any issues it might take a while for them to hit the news.
- Sport trim has a 1.6T engine. I trust turbos less than NA engines like in Camry (2.5).
- Hyundai still doesn't have the same quality reputation as Toyota. They have been in the news for engine failure, fires, etc. People I know with 2013-2016 Hyundai cars have had more problems than I have with my 2015 Toyota.
- No available AWD.
50 replies
Feb 25, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: Maybe not 2020 Camry. They are already recalling to replace the engine...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... y-rav4-es/
I saw that when it came out... it really doesn't bother me... looks like the only problem effected about 250 cars (out of thousands) and will be long corrected by the time I actually buy one. These things happen. As long as they identified the problem and are taking immediate steps to fix it I don't think it makes the brand bad.
Jun 4, 2006
737 posts
444 upvotes
Brampton | Vaughan
Having owned both Toyota's and Hyundai's I can tell you my experience.

Value for money is great from Hyundai, as you get more features etc.
Toyota's don't seem to have the latest tech.
My Hyundai was not as reliable as my Toyota, had to deal with oil leaks, parking sensors and alternator issue.
The Hyundai dealership I dealt with wasn't as good as the Toyota Dealership I use now.
And the end of my ownership, my Hyundai had very little value compared to a Toyota if it was the same year and class.
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
387 upvotes
Montreal
The current gen Camry being a slightly older design than the Sonata has its advantages. Bugs and kinks have been reported and fixed. Mid gen is not a bad time to buy at all.

Sat in the Sonata at the autoshow, and I must admit the interior is nice.
Feb 25, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes
Carbooja wrote: Having owned both Toyota's and Hyundai's I can tell you my experience.

Value for money is great from Hyundai, as you get more features etc.
Toyota's don't seem to have the latest tech.
My Hyundai was not as reliable as my Toyota, had to deal with oil leaks, parking sensors and alternator issue.
The Hyundai dealership I dealt with wasn't as good as the Toyota Dealership I use now.
And the end of my ownership, my Hyundai had very little value compared to a Toyota if it was the same year and class.
This is a really good point.

The black book trade value (not a science, I know) for my 2015 Camry is in the 8500-10000 range. Just for comparison I tried entering a 2015 Sonata with similar trim and mileage and the black book trade value was only 3800-5800. Kind of eats up a lot of the up front savings.
Mar 31, 2009
449 posts
688 upvotes
If you lease, Hyundai has reasonable RV, maybe few percents less than Camry but a negligible amount in the grand scheme when you look at the monthly payment - considering you also usually get better lease interest rates from Hyundai.
Not to mention longer standard warranty so you can lease for 48 months without paying for extra lease coverage warranty as you will be required for Toyota.
As for buying, I would NOT be buying the first year of a production model from Hyundai.
That said, it is true that the interior of the new Sonata is a league above Camry.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21361 posts
23637 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Only the Hyundai if it's at least 30% cheaper than the Toyota.... also the new Sonata is ugly as sin.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1088 posts
1224 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Only the Hyundai if it's at least 30% cheaper than the Toyota.... also the new Sonata is ugly as sin.
Autojournalists have been raving about the new Sonata, but I agree with you. Personally not a fan of new Hyundai design language, way too curvy and round, it won't age well.

Also since Sonata is a brand new redesign I doubt you can get 0% right now. WIll have to wait til end of model year.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15846 posts
10524 upvotes
Toronto
The new camry, moreso the trd looks like a turd. If buying forever, get the sonata for the comfort creatures. If buying because you won't have it forever, the camry because people believe these are king of reliability and therefore will be lining up at your door to over pay for when you sell.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1767 posts
1890 upvotes
Toronto
How long do you plan to keep your next car? This is key.

I also played the waiting game when I was hoping to get into a Corolla HB. Interest rates remained at 3 plus so I ended up financing a Civic at 0%, after loyalty. Toyota has kept their rates high for the last 2 years, I wonder why.

Wait it out, but based on the rates alone, Hyundai will be more favourable.
Mar 3, 2019
185 posts
171 upvotes
Go with Toyota if:

-Reliability is a priority
-Resale value is a priority
-AWD is a priority (it will be an option in Spring 2020)

Go with Hyundai if:

-Latest technology is a priority
-Features for the price is a priority
Oct 4, 2010
923 posts
513 upvotes
Surrey
Had a '15 Sonata as it was best bang for the buck in it's class. Also got attracted by the longer warranty. Things went downhill afterwards. Burning oil starting after 24,000KM, pinging engine and a irresponsible warranty. Glad to get rid of it and happy so far in my Camry. Still kicking myself for wasting my time with Hyundai. just go the hyundai forums and read up on the headaches owners are having.

Despite Hyundai always advertising '5 yr warranty', note that Toyota has a 5 year warranty on powertrain which is the integral part of the car.
Feb 8, 2010
625 posts
572 upvotes
If you buy Sonata, get the 2.4NA

I had a 2016 1.6T kia optima, the engine+DCT has serious drivability issue especially when you need a quick left turn.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6223 posts
4759 upvotes
Ontario
bartium wrote: Camry all the way
4 cylinder Camry has a cracking engine.
>>Using LOL is the sign of a weak argument that needs shoring!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
Toyota #1 for life, I vote Camry
Apr 26, 2007
843 posts
175 upvotes
Prefer Hyundai BUT new Sonata looks ugly
Thank my post if it helped!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)