Opinions: 2020 Toyota Camry vs 2020 Hyundai Sonata

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 10:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6335 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go with Camry but if there's going to be a refresh, I'd wait until they're clearing out the 2020's so you can get it on further discount
May 31, 2017
713 posts
1003 upvotes
george__ wrote: Sonata N
According to the Hyundai rep at the Canadian Autoshow the Sonata N is apparently not coming to Canada. Haven't seen that validated but he seemed pretty confident in his answer.

I personally like the new Sonata design but engine performance leaves a little to be desired if they don't bring an N-line variant. This current gen Camry is MUCH better looking then the previous version (just my opinion) and closes the gap even if it is slightly behind the new the Sonata style wise. Reliability is pretty close between the brands in the first 140,000km but probably give the edge to Toyota longer term then that - I'd give the edge to the Camry based on longer term reliability AND that it's been out a couple years already and they'll have worked through some of the early bugs that may plague the new Sonata. Just my experience having owned and driven both brands a fair bit. Resale is much better on the Camry.

I'd go with the XSE Camry V6 white/black roof with red seats if you want a more sporty look (and a much more powerful engine then the Sonata with the V6) - or the SE Hybrid if you want the best combo of style and fuel savings. Toyota wins a bit more on reliaiblity and lots more on resale. Sonata really only wins on style at this point...if you disagree then it's a clear win for the Camry.

I may change opinions if they do bring an N series variant of the Sonata to Canada...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17146 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17146 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jun 24, 2016
624 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
It all depends on how long you want to keep the car,if you will get rid of the car before the warranty then i will go with Sonata.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Usher9387 wrote: It all depends on how long you want to keep the car,if you will get rid of the car before the warranty then i will go with Sonata.
That's the worst way to do it. The Hyundai depreciates way more than a Toyota does, all you ended up doing was overspending on the Hyundai because you lost so much. If anything for the short term sell the Toyota or lease that instead of the Hyundai. The depreciation of the Hyundai works much better in favour of the used buyer where if the car was so much cheaper than the equivalent used Camry, you'd have to get a real stinker for it to be a worse buy. If you buy a brand new Hyundai, its actually better to keep it for at least 10 years, the Camry's better resale value make it more flexible to sell at any time.
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2954 posts
2629 upvotes
GTA West
I usually lease for 3 years and then make the purchase decision at the end of the lease period. Long term rates for buying are usually higher than the shorter-term lease rates. If you make a large down payment on the lease, the interest cost will be low. Your experience during the lease period may shake out any problems and help you with the buy-out decision.
Oct 11, 2013
295 posts
161 upvotes
Almost American
For me buying a gas only car today is probably one of the stupidest things to do. Once electric is here no one will want to buy your used car and the oil companies will skyrocket the price at the pump in 2-3 years. GM is going fully electric by 2025. Ford same, BMW, Mercedes EQ getting there, Toyota has been on the fence so they're actually far behind.

Also me personally I could never go Korean for something like a car.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7521 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
You are supposed to drive you 2015 Camry to the ground.

That’s the whole point of getting ToyotasSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Between the 2, Camry for sure.

The only warning I give is getting the same model back to back...I don’t know, seemed to be mistakes for me.
I have done it couple times and each time felt like a mistake in retrospect.

For one, there is no excitement factor. For two, I obvious did that because I liked the older one I own enough to consider the same model again. The newer one didn’t necessarily meet the higher expectations.
Dec 4, 2017
704 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
I took a rental base Camry, drove it from Calgary to Whistler/Vancouver and back. It handled surprisingly well through the Rockies.

I would get Camry AWD over it's Toyota partially owned Subaru Legacy although the AWD technologies are different.

Sonata does look good now in person and on paper but I feel the Camry's conservative contemporary designs would last a few more years.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17146 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
May 4, 2012
243 posts
206 upvotes
if you want to have a car for 10-20 years then get the camry. hyundai is JUNK. check out the new video below. camry is the ultimate sedan. toyota is king.

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2439 posts
2972 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As a domestic car guy, I will still give the vote to the Camry. Hyundai engines are pretty flawed.

GM engines, Toyota Engines, Ford V8s, and most Honda engines (the 1.5L created doubts for me) are the best you can get.
Feb 25, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: You are supposed to drive you 2015 Camry to the ground.

That’s the whole point of getting ToyotasSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Between the 2, Camry for sure.

The only warning I give is getting the same model back to back...I don’t know, seemed to be mistakes for me.
I have done it couple times and each time felt like a mistake in retrospect.

For one, there is no excitement factor. For two, I obvious did that because I liked the older one I own enough to consider the same model again. The newer one didn’t necessarily meet the higher expectations.
I was thinking the same thing... and was in no rush to replace my Camry with another car, especially another Camry... but then I had a 2019 Camry SE as a rental and it is just so much better than the 2015 that I started shopping again.

For what its worth, 5 years and 150,000km is pretty good for me... in the past the longest I ever kept a car was 3 years which was terrible.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
289 upvotes
I would just keep the 2015. Recession coming and you will likely score a major deal just by waiting a few weeks or months.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17146 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jan 18, 2012
218 posts
140 upvotes
I just bought a lexus.. picking up end of the week but was so concerned because it is one of the vehicles potentially part of the recall. After spamming my sales associate all weekend he did produce a work order that they checked the engine block last week, and it passed so no need for a new engine...... No automaker is perfect but at least Toyota / Lexus is upfront about it!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)