Opinions: 2020 Toyota Camry vs 2020 Hyundai Sonata

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 10:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7450 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
You are supposed to drive you 2015 Camry to the ground.

That’s the whole point of getting ToyotasSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Between the 2, Camry for sure.

The only warning I give is getting the same model back to back...I don’t know, seemed to be mistakes for me.
I have done it couple times and each time felt like a mistake in retrospect.

For one, there is no excitement factor. For two, I obvious did that because I liked the older one I own enough to consider the same model again. The newer one didn’t necessarily meet the higher expectations.
Dec 4, 2017
277 posts
252 upvotes
I took a rental base Camry, drove it from Calgary to Whistler/Vancouver and back. It handled surprisingly well through the Rockies.

I would get Camry AWD over it's Toyota partially owned Subaru Legacy although the AWD technologies are different.

Sonata does look good now in person and on paper but I feel the Camry's conservative contemporary designs would last a few more years.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15562 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
May 4, 2012
164 posts
84 upvotes
if you want to have a car for 10-20 years then get the camry. hyundai is JUNK. check out the new video below. camry is the ultimate sedan. toyota is king.

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1065 posts
1108 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As a domestic car guy, I will still give the vote to the Camry. Hyundai engines are pretty flawed.

GM engines, Toyota Engines, Ford V8s, and most Honda engines (the 1.5L created doubts for me) are the best you can get.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2020
12 posts
9 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: You are supposed to drive you 2015 Camry to the ground.

That’s the whole point of getting ToyotasSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes

Between the 2, Camry for sure.

The only warning I give is getting the same model back to back...I don’t know, seemed to be mistakes for me.
I have done it couple times and each time felt like a mistake in retrospect.

For one, there is no excitement factor. For two, I obvious did that because I liked the older one I own enough to consider the same model again. The newer one didn’t necessarily meet the higher expectations.
I was thinking the same thing... and was in no rush to replace my Camry with another car, especially another Camry... but then I had a 2019 Camry SE as a rental and it is just so much better than the 2015 that I started shopping again.

For what its worth, 5 years and 150,000km is pretty good for me... in the past the longest I ever kept a car was 3 years which was terrible.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
285 upvotes
I would just keep the 2015. Recession coming and you will likely score a major deal just by waiting a few weeks or months.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15562 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jan 18, 2012
141 posts
67 upvotes
I just bought a lexus.. picking up end of the week but was so concerned because it is one of the vehicles potentially part of the recall. After spamming my sales associate all weekend he did produce a work order that they checked the engine block last week, and it passed so no need for a new engine...... No automaker is perfect but at least Toyota / Lexus is upfront about it!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15562 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Apr 5, 2017
621 posts
431 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I love the new Sonata. Unfortunately I'll only go out of my way to drive one - as a rental car.

I had a 2019 Buick Regal 2.0T as a rental. That was amazing - as a rental car.
May 31, 2017
131 posts
162 upvotes
expresspotato wrote: For me buying a gas only car today is probably one of the stupidest things to do. Once electric is here no one will want to buy your used car and the oil companies will skyrocket the price at the pump in 2-3 years. GM is going fully electric by 2025. Ford same, BMW, Mercedes EQ getting there, Toyota has been on the fence so they're actually far behind.

Also me personally I could never go Korean for something like a car.
A couple things: electric still needs A LOT more infrastructure to be viable...you have extra costs to set up power station at home, extra time to "re-fuel" and concerns about range limits on longer drives (though this is getting better). Here's my prediction, we are still 5-6 years away from full electrics being truly viable for most driver demographics, so hybrids will dominate the transition for a while still. I also believe that in 5-6 years there will be many more hydrogen fuel cell vehicles hitting the market from manufacturers. While Hydrogen will be in the early stages of building out that "re-fueling" infrastructure it will likely already be close to what electric was only 2-3 years ago (ie. the market will see the light at the end of the tunnel and there will be a viable market with many waiting to jump in as the infrastructure expands). The world is going to leapfrog electric in short order. My prediction is that electric will only be a "thing" for about 10 years before hydrogen fuel cell technology surpasses it in the market. Hydrogen fuel cells are truly zero emissions unlike electric, cost to refuel will drop dramatically and are already as cheap as regular gas, range is already near gas, no need for still limited, expensive and poor efficiency battery tech, etc. Bookmark my post for a decade if you want...lol...but I predict electric has a very limited window before it's overtaken by Hydrogen fuel cells. Similar to Blu-Ray vs. streaming...or CD's vs. Blu Ray. Electric is just a short-term stepping stone to the future of cars. Or, I could be wrong and oil is the future because it's only 30 days long since we'll blow the world up trying to kill off the covid virus.

As for your oil prices will sky rocket...I don't see it happening. Heck, oil prices could triple from current rates and they'd still be below their peak. And there is plenty of oil in north America waiting to get to market if prices rise that much so the supply will constrain any growth.

Lastly, Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is a pretty dominant car manufacturer today. Genesis just beat Lexus in the last 3 year reliability ranking (albeit they only had two cars on the list). There is a reason that Toyota considers them their main competitor...they are getting close on quality (very close), they probably have nicer designs then Toyota and they typically have more included at the same price. Toyota is riding the wave on their badge, history and resale values (and they've earned that) but it's close enough that to "never go for a Korean car" is probably something worth re-considering...just saying.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11697 posts
6301 upvotes
Brampton
Bigboy16 wrote: As a domestic car guy, I will still give the vote to the Camry. Hyundai engines are pretty flawed.

GM engines, Toyota Engines, Ford V8s, and most Honda engines (the 1.5L created doubts for me) are the best you can get.
Right....

Let me list some engines and we'll take it from there.

LG8
L82
LA1
L26
L67

K24

2GR-FE
2AZ
2MZ

Triton
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1065 posts
1108 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
tebore wrote: Right....

Let me list some engines and we'll take it from there.

LG8
L82
LA1
L26
L67

K24

2GR-FE
2AZ
2MZ

Triton
Please take the L67 off that list. The 3800 is a gem.

Edit: There was a problem in the first year or so but it was fixed pretty fast. And i guess there were a lot of engines by Toyota, Honda and GM that burnt oil around 2009.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!