Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2861 posts
264 upvotes

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

Hey everyone,

After my contract expires, I am ending Telus for good. I am tired of the over-priced plans.

I am just curious, since Wind Mobile offers such great prices for everyone, not just renewal customers, why doesn't everyone use Wind?

There will be no need to contact Retentions/Loyalty department etc....Just one low monthly bill which has everything unlimited..
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
1184 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
There's a bunch of reasons why Wind isn't more popular:
-Not as well known as the big 3 (or companies owned by the big 3)
-Reception isn't great in certain areas
-Phone selection isn't great
-Phones aren't subsidized in the same way as they are with the big 3
-Data speed isn't great compared to the big 3

The biggest thing is reception. It's nowhere near as good as Rogers, Bell or Telus. It may be adequate for some of us, but certainly not everyone.
I've been with Wind for ~1.5 years now.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3740 posts
1124 upvotes
Ontario
As soon as you go outside their home coverage area you pay roaming charges.

No thanks.
Sep 12, 2005
20 posts
1 upvote
Agree above all. But there is one reason for some, they don't know redflagdeals.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
If you're in Toronto, I've heard it's great. Other cities like London, it's hit or miss.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3407 posts
623 upvotes
I was with WIND for a while, and was happy enough... the network sucked but the price was right.

Eventually, I realized that even though I had unlimited everything, I wasn't really using it that much - often the network wasn't up to snuff in areas where I wanted to use it. E

nded up switching to Koodo, I get a plan that meets my needs for $5 more per month, and a better network with LTE. It was a no-brainer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23935 posts
9486 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:10 pm
nded up switching to Koodo, I get a plan that meets my needs for $5 more per month, and a better network with LTE. It was a no-brainer.
While I don't get Unlimited data, 6GB is good enough* for me. I still get unlimited talk/text.
I'll pay the $5 coverage tax. <3 TB plan.

*Well not "good enough" but it's tolerable.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
245 upvotes
We got a Wind Mobile phone during one of their promos. Good phone and unlimited minutes+data for $40 is a good deal (well compared to other companies at least). Had to return it though because we didn't get any coverage inside of the actual house (despite only being a 3-4 minute drive from the store we bought the phone from).
Mar 30, 2013
32 posts
10 upvotes
We get tourists up in cottage country all the time who complain about Wind Mobile not working here. Of course it doesn't work here, Wind Mobile is 100% a city phone company. No towers here!

I think most people don't go with them simply due to the lack of reception. It's really only good if you're not into leaving the GTA (or other large cities they do service).
Aug 13, 2012
451 posts
133 upvotes
One word: coverage.

We live in the boonies, even Rogers is spotty here.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Call into retentions again.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
RunOrDie wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 7:03 pm
Hey everyone,

After my contract expires, I am ending Telus for good. I am tired of the over-priced plans.

I am just curious, since Wind Mobile offers such great prices for everyone, not just renewal customers, why doesn't everyone use Wind?

There will be no need to contact Retentions/Loyalty department etc....Just one low monthly bill which has everything unlimited..
I will give you the only reason that matters the most:

Reception.

Zero at my home and workplace.

Game over.

I would have loved to save money too, but I would rather not own a cellphone than own one with no reception at places I frequently stay.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Oct 11, 2010
742 posts
79 upvotes
I tried WIND for a while but their coverage was so bad I had to give up. I live and work in a major metro and would get no network way too often. I kept asking when their coverage would improve and they kept saying "soon" but nothing ever happened.