Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17451 posts
1633 upvotes
Woodbridge
When I was with Rogers, reliability was an issue and this is one of the "Big 3."

I don't even want to think how Wind stacks up.

You get what you pay for. Also, I'm not very patient I want my Data available and fast!
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5667 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal
Cat food is pretty cheap. Why doesn't everyone eat it?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 10:51 am
Cat food is pretty cheap. Why doesn't everyone eat it?
we need to support competition to bring lower prices to food items!!! that's why we should all eat cat kibble!! make the food companies lower prices and give competition!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18359 posts
6428 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 11:05 am
we need to support competition to bring lower prices to food items!!! that's why we should all eat cat kibble!! make the food companies lower prices and give competition!!!
Doesn't quite work that way all the time. Lobsters are in abundance apparently. The wholesale price is depressed. No impact at the retail level so far.
Apr 13, 2005
582 posts
398 upvotes
Markham, ON
I use Koodo because they're on the TELUS network (works well when I'm north of Toronto where Wind doesn't work). I have a WIND account to use when I'm in the GTA and roaming in the US.
Jul 15, 2014
15 posts
Toronto, ON
Based on what I've observed from my friends using WIND

1. We don't have to go THAT far outside of the GTA for them not to have service.
2. Yeah sure you may have lots of data available on your package but it's not as quick as other carrier speedwise and doesn't even work everywhere.

Hopefully they improve upon those two things.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mariwate wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 12:55 am
Based on what I've observed from my friends using WIND

1. We don't have to go THAT far outside of the GTA for them not to have service.
2. Yeah sure you may have lots of data available on your package but it's not as quick as other carrier speedwise and doesn't even work everywhere.

Hopefully they improve upon those two things.
1. Wind is only for city folks
2. All network have dead or semi dead spots . People pay premium money for the speed of LTE and overage. It is your consumer choice if you think that is indispensable. Accordingly you pay for the privilege
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8560 posts
1196 upvotes
Victoria
It's all about coverage.

Wind has coverage in the GTA area, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Travel even it a bit outside those Western cities and your roaming pretty quick. It's as simple as that. This leaves giant portions of the population living in areas where Wind has no coverage. That's why not everyone is on Wind. Their network is small.
Aug 13, 2014
1 posts
Vancouver
After 18 yrs putting up with rogers scams, i switched to wind last december. soon after, i reported the poor reception at my home in vancouver to wind, and 6 weeks later, i got 3 to 5 bars reception at my place. overall, i am very pleased with wind.
There is however a simple solution for (dedicated) no reception areas if you have wifi.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1374 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary
After many years of taking it bent over from robers I switched to wind and it's fine. I'm in Calgary, and true I don't get great reception when i'm outside of the city going hiking, but that's ok. Robers sucks anyways, I'm happy to be paying half, and with the new roaming agreement coming down, I'm sure things will get even better.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5667 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal
kotoula wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 8:51 pm
After many years of taking it bent over from robers I switched to wind and it's fine. I'm in Calgary, and true I don't get great reception when i'm outside of the city going hiking, but that's ok. Robers sucks anyways, I'm happy to be paying half, and with the new roaming agreement coming down, I'm sure things will get even better.
I get that you're trying to be cute by calling it "Robbers" instead of "Rogers". Instead, you just look dumb because you typed "robers".

Nice try, though.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10646 posts
2871 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
zod wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 12:11 pm
It's all about coverage.

Wind has coverage in the GTA area, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. Travel even it a bit outside those Western cities and your roaming pretty quick. It's as simple as that. This leaves giant portions of the population living in areas where Wind has no coverage. That's why not everyone is on Wind. Their network is small.
The new roaming rates mean you can have national coverage at expensive though no longer insane roaming rates.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16631 posts
3632 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 4:15 am
1. Wind is only for city folks
Wind is only for city folks that never leave the city.

Coverage is of paramount importance to me.
2. All network have dead or semi dead spots . People pay premium money for the speed of LTE and overage. It is your consumer choice if you think that is indispensable. Accordingly you pay for the privilege
After having had LTE for a long while, I would have a hard time going back to any carrier without LTE (or better).

BTW, my wife's iPhone doesn't support AWS HSPA+ anyway, but I didn't care since I had no intention of switching her to Wind. I got a refurbished iPhone 5 for her from a 3rd party (non-Apple refurbisher) and just got whatever unlocked iPhone 5 that was cheapest and available. Getting one that supported Wind meant spending extra money and waiting a week or two, so I said forget that.

My iPhone 5s does support AWS HSPA+, but like I said, I rather stick with the big three for coverage and want LTE.

Actually, we're both on Fido, not officially the big three, but Fido uses Rogers' network so effectively it's the same thing (but with cheaper consumer plans). Both of us have nationwide calling included, so not only do we get included calling in the big city (where we live), we also get it in parks and cottage country, as well as on the train to other cities, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
581 upvotes
SW Ontario
ceredon wrote:
Aug 15th, 2014 11:07 am
The new roaming rates mean you can have national coverage at expensive though no longer insane roaming rates.

Depends what you are comparing to. Since these are pay as you go rates, they are basically comparable to either overage charges by the big 3, or Prepaid.

On Bell Prepaid, they charge $10/100MB (or $0.15/mb after that). So comparing that, Wind is 1/3 the price for the per MB price, and half the price of their prepaid add ons. Bell has a $50 add on yes, but that's not really comparable, at least not until Wind brings out the buckets of data options.

Phone minutes could add up quick, but again bell charges 20 cents/min overage in prepaid, so again wind is cheaper. Not to mention these roaming rates are the same in the USA.

If you are constantly on roaming, then sure, it will get expensive (and Wind probably isn't for you then). But for those that travel on the highway, so might just get an email or something on the road, or go away once in a while it's pretty reasonable. even if I had a $50 roaming bill one month a year due to vacation, the savings are still great overall.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1389 posts
126 upvotes
Pluto
Even in the city I couldn't get good coverage. When I was at work I had to walk out into the parking lot to get service. Then when I called their customer support it was deplorable.