Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2923 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
Targeted Market: Cheap, frugal, possibly low income City Dwellers who will most likely not leave city centres (never far from home/work). Or ppl who don't find having a cell phone an absolute necessity.

I'm sure they'll improve the coverage at some point.... but until then.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8169 posts
3272 upvotes
Markham
I have no intentions of migrating off my Pre 3, and it only supports 850/1900, not AWS.

So yeah for me it's a hardware issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
I'm a Wind customer. Don't be one.

Like others said, poor reception is the main issue. I get dropped calls while driving on the 404 between Markham and Toronto. Good luck getting reception inside buildings. You get unlimited data, but with the terrible speeds it makes browsing unusable at times.

They did some network upgrades late last year for their Christmas holiday plan sale, but upgrades since have been far in between.
http://networkupdates.windmobile.ca/archive/

I would go with Koodo or Fido. I wanna leave but don't really want to pay the $300+ remainder on my tab. Gonna wait it out another year for it to clear before jumping ship.
Mar 17, 2009
316 posts
98 upvotes
People talking about terrible speeds? I'm in Vancouver and never, and I mean never an issue. I tether and I remote desktop to my home PC via my phone. I stream UFC prelims (okay not on 480p usually but 360p) and they are completely fine. YouTube HQ, no problem. If people aren't on Wind they are ignorant, trapped already in a contract or spend too much time outside of the Wind Zone coverage. Who said their phone selections suck? Seriously? Whatever to that. If you can't pick a good phone from what they have, then you deserve to pay $80 per month. If you get a smartphone the only thing that matters is data and that's where you're going to get skewered by every company aside from Wind and possibly Mobilicity.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1208 upvotes
aGincourt
As a Wind user, the service is exactly what you pay for. Coverage is spotty, absolutely none inside buildings, and the "unlimited" data is slow. But I don't rely on my phone for business or anything, and I live in Toronto and the GTA so it's okay for me.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19100 posts
4197 upvotes
Thornhill
calling all humans wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 3:20 pm
People talking about terrible speeds? I'm in Vancouver and never, and I mean never an issue. I tether and I remote desktop to my home PC via my phone. I stream UFC prelims (okay not on 480p usually but 360p) and they are completely fine. YouTube HQ, no problem. If people aren't on Wind they are ignorant, trapped already in a contract or spend too much time outside of the Wind Zone coverage. Who said their phone selections suck? Seriously? Whatever to that. If you can't pick a good phone from what they have, then you deserve to pay $80 per month. If you get a smartphone the only thing that matters is data and that's where you're going to get skewered by every company aside from Wind and possibly Mobilicity.
Wow, someones angry haha.

There are pros and cons to going with the Big 3, and there are pros and cons with going with the smaller Telecoms. It basically boils down to what you need and if you're willing to pay for it. Reception, service quality, customer service, there just isn't a company out there that excels in all those areas.

I've been a Rogers customer for almost a decade and thankfully (knock on a lot of wood) I haven't had any billing or any other problems. Reception has been as advertised, and while I do have to keep an eye out for my minutes and data usage, I'm fairly content. I'm paying more than my friend ($10 more per month) but I constantly hear complaints about periodic slow text messages, really crappy data speeds during peak hours and questionable signal reception in some areas, but is content about the price.

Now, my contract renewal is in October, will I go back to Rogers? Maybe, maybe not, but competition is a good thing. But I tend to be outside of the GTA and into Durham often, so reception is important to me, so I'll probably have to do some retention dancing.
Jan 16, 2007
960 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Was previously with Wind and Mobilicity, now with Speakout UMB, well for now at least. I never leave the city. My biggest issue is the data speeds. Even with full bars on MOB/Wind, SO data speed is so much faster, it's night and day difference.
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
I was a initial tester for Win and was not impressed back then when they launched in Edmonton and even now I deal with lots of people that switch from wind to rogers/telus/koodo. All due to ***** service coverage, lack of customer service and other stupid issues.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
WIND is a failed experience. People want cheap plans, but expect first class service.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
One can't compare service in Vancouver versus Toronto. It would be like commenting on Wi-Fi in a 650square/ft condo vs a 3000square/ft house using only a G router.

Vancouver is tiny compared to Toronto and with a lot less condos. The reception of wind in Vancouver is actually pretty good from what my one friend tells me.

The GTA is too big, with too many condos to have reliable service imo.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4279 posts
409 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
I was a Wind customer for a few months. Cost was low, US roaming charges were very reasonable, but coverage was spotty. The main reason why I switched to koodo was because I couldn't get a consistent signal in my house.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14483 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Most people who stay on love the service and price but those who leave have crappy reception.

I would recommend Wind Mobile as I am really enjoying their services but understand that they don't have the same resources to have a network as reliable or large as the big 3.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14483 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
ToniCipriani wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 1:27 pm
I have no intentions of migrating off my Pre 3, and it only supports 850/1900, not AWS.

So yeah for me it's a hardware issue.
I feel bad for you. WebOS is dead man. Stay with the times.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14483 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 7:14 pm
Terrible after sales service, point blank.

Read this customer's experience. Nuff said.

Part I
http://www.lolsorry.com/2012/12/18/bye- ... e-5-years/

Part II
http://www.lolsorry.com/2013/01/26/wind ... -purchase/
Yeah I could see why this happened and in fact I know this would happen to many people. However if you're like me and you buy your phone from elsewhere and just want service then wind may be a good choice.