Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4262 posts
378 upvotes
Calgary
Wind is a YMMV, get a one month prepaid as the above user suggested and go from there. Go to the routine places you go to and see if signal and response are what you expect. I am happy Wind works for me and I save a butt load of money every year. Be open minded, try it out and see where it takes you.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Apr 2, 2015
213 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
US roaming is pretty amazing. A steal at $15 a month unlimited.

Actually stopped using old Roam Mobility SIM last trip as Wind worked literally everywhere.

Strange how I could get into an elevator roaming on T-Mobile and could never do that on Wind's own network. ;)

You get what you pay for (in my case free 6 months - can't complain on principle) and coverage is going to improve I'm sure, but roaming Away can be problematic in edge areas or behind concrete and steel.

No coverage holes in the National Capital, but get a map from a 3rd party tool for actual 905 area coverage.

Opensignal and opencellid I use a lot...
Dec 28, 2010
423 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
My wife had it for a year, although it was a very good deal at that time i.e. 30 bucks with unlimited everything but its reception sucked.
Like Bartek mentioned the reception of Wind varies frmo area to area. Some people are extremely satisfied but some people like me who live in area (Wniston Churchill and 401 in Mississauga), where wind doesn't have enough towers - it is really bad
Mar 17, 2005
604 posts
339 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks for all who replied. Had a brain fart and didn't even consider going PAYG to see. Went to the closest Wind store. Cheapest PAYG was $25 for unlimited talk and txt for the month plus a $50 phone. Was just about to bite when the sales rep asked for my postal code to check service. They (at least this Wind employee) uses coveragemapper.com to check to see what type of coverage you can expect. Apparently even though their map says I'm in their coverage zone, I can expect zero bars. So much for this adventure. Maybe in the future.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18488 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
Bum_Gravey wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2015 12:03 pm
Thanks for all who replied. Had a brain fart and didn't even consider going PAYG to see. Went to the closest Wind store. Cheapest PAYG was $25 for unlimited talk and txt for the month plus a $50 phone. Was just about to bite when the sales rep asked for my postal code to check service. They (at least this Wind employee) uses coveragemapper.com to check to see what type of coverage you can expect. Apparently even though their map says I'm in their coverage zone, I can expect zero bars. So much for this adventure. Maybe in the future.
Because Wind is so YMMV, it really makes a lot of sense for people to buy the cheapest plan and test drive the service for themselves. Others reviews are not reliable. I golf in North Oshawa once in a while. I find the service to be really spotty up north but seems fine in the south.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1272 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
Problem with Wind is their network don't penetrate walls and buildings as good as the other carriers. Rogers network is the best for these situations because of their GSM network. But it should improve as Wind is starting to put extenders in subway stations and malls. But commercial buildings gonna be problematic.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
238 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
bomiheko wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 2:04 pm
Problem with Wind is their network don't penetrate walls and buildings as good as the other carriers. Rogers network is the best for these situations because of their GSM network. But it should improve as Wind is starting to put extenders in subway stations and malls. But commercial buildings gonna be problematic.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NdF6Iv9.png[/IMG]
(bell vs wind, same device 3 mins apart)
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
I have had Wind for 3 years. Never looked back to Rogers. I pay $33 everything unlimited... with unlimited gygabytes of data a month and free texting worldwide.

I live in Toronto and have signal 99% of the time anywhere in the city. I get signal in my elevator and basement something I did not get with Rogers or Fido.

I have Wimd signal from Clarington (east of Ajax) all the way to London,Ontario and to the u.s. border at Niagara Falls. I get wind signal in Barrie and Angus and Kitchner. I get wind signal in London. I get wind signal going north on the 400 highway. What else can I say?

When I was with Rogers in 2010 they had the shame to charge me roaming for talking from a Rogers tower in Wasaga Beach to a Rogers tower in Toronto...... wtf??

I left Rogers so the idiots can keep it.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15083 posts
1818 upvotes
Oshawa
bomiheko wrote:
Jul 4th, 2015 2:04 pm
Problem with Wind is their network don't penetrate walls and buildings as good as the other carriers at all.
Fixed. If you plan on going into any large building ever, forget about Wind.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I gave my guests (who temporarily stay in condo unit at New York Tower at Bayview/Sheppard) my Wind PAYG phone. They came from the States to take over a 5 th floor condo unit. They used up quite a bit of data indeed as shown

After 3 days of non-stop talk and high use of data, Wind gave a text to the cell that it will be throttled if I do not rein in the data use. They have used up 2.7 Gb of data . And no wonder.
They were surprised that Wind charges $2 + tax a day. That is all they pay.
I cannot imagine how much the big 3 would have been charging in similar situation at all.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
They mentioned that they had to put the phone on the balcony to tether. Inside their unit they can only talk. But the condo unit itself is in the middle of a concrete jungle (5th floor facing inside) . I am surprised (and not surprised) that they used up so much data.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Feb 21, 2008
137 posts
11 upvotes
I just tested with Wind. I live in Markham, on Major Mac, just east of McCowan. Reception is really really poor there. Also, as soon as you start to drive on Major Mac heading west, the reception gets worse and sometimes dropped out entirely. Checked the coverage map and there is a bubble in my area that was little coverage. I was able to live with that because that's mostly residential and if I visit friends they usually have Wifi, so communication is not such an issue, voice call in these area is ok.

The problem is downtown. I work at Bay and Front, on the 39th floor sitting right next to a huge window yet I get even worse reception then I was in Markham. Since I am in office most of the day, many people have told me that their calls been forwarded to my voicemail so obviously calls cannot go through. This is what making me stay with Bell.

One good point to note is that Wind has cell towers along the Go Train line so reception on Go Train from Markham to Toronto is surprisingly good!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5465 posts
2044 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
hi-tech wrote:
Jul 5th, 2015 11:17 am
I use T-Mo and it's awful.
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about them.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
238 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2015 12:56 pm
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about them.
They were amazing when I used them (remember thought it's VERY market dependent) If you're roaming just keep tapping at&t and it will switch to them though

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)