Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1787 posts
338 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm never able to even do a speedtest in Waterloo. It always times out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5554 posts
2111 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Sooooo now there's an elephant in the room, Shaw. I wonder how long it will be until old customers have their rates jacked up or are forced to stay on HSPA even after LTE is rolled out....
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
X-Nemesis wrote: I'm never able to even do a speedtest in Waterloo. It always times out.
"Post proof otherwise you're a troll!" /S

That's strange, it's usually pretty decent around london and waterloo
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1787 posts
338 upvotes
Kitchener
If I can get a stable hspa+ across their network and keep the $40 price, I'd be OK without LTE. But the inconsistency, latency and slow if not completely non existent data is painful.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1787 posts
338 upvotes
Kitchener
eeeaddict wrote: "Post proof otherwise you're a troll!" /S

That's strange, it's usually pretty decent around london and waterloo
I should be more specific as saying just Waterloo is incorrect on my part. Out by Columbia and Fischer Hellman and north of there, my speedtests always time out and data is pretty much useless.

Also I'm using a 1+1 so that could be the reason. Not the best antennas in the phone?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2629 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
With Shaw taking over I might just stay back and hope they will improve their services like what mobilicity users are experiencing...hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1331 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I kind of like shaw, i wonder how this will play out. They claim they arent going to hike/raise prices so thats good to hear. And i know for sure the signal and data will increase ten fold with this deal. It just keeps getting better for me. For those of you contemplating switching to wind or out of wind, you might want to join now incase shaw decides to raise the prices a bit for the new customers. Now is the chance to come over while you still have time. ;)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19245 posts
7341 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote: I kind of like shaw, i wonder how this will play out. They claim they arent going to hike/raise prices so thats good to hear. And i know for sure the signal and data will increase ten fold with this deal. It just keeps getting better for me. For those of you contemplating switching to wind or out of wind, you might want to join now incase shaw decides to raise the prices a bit for the new customers. Now is the chance to come over while you still have time. ;)
And chickens fly. You think they won't raise prices to match the competition?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1331 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
will888 wrote: And chickens fly. You think they won't raise prices to match the competition?
Oh they probably will brother. But they have already stated that they wont raise current plans that are in place for existing customers. So therefore if you join now, you can keep your price guaranteed.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8532 upvotes
GTHA
willyxjai wrote: With Shaw taking over I might just stay back and hope they will improve their services like what mobilicity users are experiencing...hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Rogers has an existing network that has 850mhz frequency, this frequency provides better wall penetration than Wind's existing network.

Shaw does not have a network, they will need to invest into the existing Wind network.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11409 upvotes
X-Nemesis wrote: If I can get a stable hspa+ across their network and keep the $40 price, I'd be OK without LTE. But the inconsistency, latency and slow if not completely non existent data is painful.
This.
I'd rather have it consistently slow(er) rather than bursts of awesome and other bursts of ridiculously terrible.

At this point I'm tempted to pay a 20% "get actual service" tax if I go abuse the MB/SK plan.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
X-Nemesis wrote: I should be more specific as saying just Waterloo is incorrect on my part. Out by Columbia and Fischer Hellman and north of there, my speedtests always time out and data is pretty much useless.

Also I'm using a 1+1 so that could be the reason. Not the best antennas in the phone?
It's like 80% as good as an iphone radio/antenna in my experience so should be fine.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18624 posts
1944 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: Oh they probably will brother. But they have already stated that they wont raise current plans that are in place for existing customers. So therefore if you join now, you can keep your price guaranteed.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming ... e27791628/
Wind has provided a lower-priced alternative to Canada’s Big Three carriers – Telus, BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc. – and consumers will be wondering whether that will evaporate with this sale.

Mr. Shaw said as the wireless company improves its coverage and upgrades to LTE (fourth-generation), “I see pricing somewhat discounted, but probably closer to the incumbents as we go forward, which allows us to increase ARPU [average revenue per user]. But listen, growth is very important to us and that’s going to be a key driver, as well as making sure consumers feel there’s value.”
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1331 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lol, still. The moment I see them raise my plan even more than 1 dollar. I swear to god I'm switching carriers so fast they wont know what hit them. I hope everyone does too, so they can learn their lesson and get *****ed over. Rogers honored Mobilicities old plans, so Shaw better honor ours.