Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19248 posts
7345 upvotes
Toronto
daIslander wrote: Over the course of this thread tho I think Wind was taken over by Shaw which may have changed coverage etc.
You think Shaw has a hidden network somewhere and buying Wind was a good opportunity to introduce it? Like any company, Shaw is building the network one tower at a time. Coverage change is slow.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Shaw is helping with WINDS hardware upgrades and their future coverage updates. I've seen so much hate towards Shaw lately and it doesn't make sense because I've been with them for home tv,internet and phone for over 2 years and I don't have any issues. I'm even on their WideOpen150 plus internet plan with unlimited data for $104.90 per month and thats on a 2 year agreement and my price is locked it won't change til my agreement ends and I'll just switch to another plan hopefully with unlimited data on another 2 year agreement. I'm glad shaw bought WIND and is helping them improve.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19248 posts
7345 upvotes
Toronto
BrandonA586 wrote: Shaw is helping with WINDS hardware upgrades and their future coverage updates. I've seen so much hate towards Shaw lately and it doesn't make sense because I've been with them for home tv,internet and phone for over 2 years and I don't have any issues. I'm even on their WideOpen150 plus internet plan with unlimited data for $104.90 per month and thats on a 2 year agreement and my price is locked it won't change til my agreement ends and I'll just switch to another plan hopefully with unlimited data on another 2 year agreement. I'm glad shaw bought WIND and is helping them improve.
My vile is directed toward Wind and if that hits Shaw smack in the center of the face, well they own it. Ever since Shaw took over Wind, my service has actually gotten worse to the point where it was unusable more often than not. So, I left.

As for $105 for 150 internet, wow that is rich. Rogers flogs gigabit + tv package for $100 in the GTA.
Oct 29, 2016
98 posts
9 upvotes
I think you never used Windows Mobile. Maybe that's is the reason why you are asking. Windows phone has limited number of apps compare to Android. Also internal function is bit complicated.
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
Garethbetty wrote: I think you never used Windows Mobile. Maybe that's is the reason why you are asking. Windows phone has limited number of apps compare to Android. Also internal function is bit complicated.
the moment when you are not sure if it's a well played sarcasm or simply dumb person lol
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Its not just $105 for 150 internet, its that price to have unlimited data at home. As for your service with WIND getting worse its all due to congestion and when WIND or Shaw gets the hardware upgraded in your area and they are working on the GTA currently I'm sure things will get better, WIND has gotten a lot better for me in Edmonton Alberta that was upgraded in June of this year. I get up to 15.28mbps download speed and 4.28mbps upload speed. When WIND rolls out LTE then things will be better because 3G won't be used by every customer if they switch over to LTE. The new hardware is LTE enabled so they just need to flip a switch to enable LTE connectivity for customers and they are running LTE on aws-3 which is 1700&2100Mhz for the frequency
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5554 posts
2111 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
BrandonA586 wrote: Its not just $105 for 150 internet, its that price to have unlimited data at home. As for your service with WIND getting worse its all due to congestion and when WIND or Shaw gets the hardware upgraded in your area and they are working on the GTA currently I'm sure things will get better, WIND has gotten a lot better for me in Edmonton Alberta that was upgraded in June of this year. I get up to 15.28mbps download speed and 4.28mbps upload speed. When WIND rolls out LTE then things will be better because 3G won't be used by every customer if they switch over to LTE. The new hardware is LTE enabled so they just need to flip a switch to enable LTE connectivity for customers and they are running LTE on aws-3 which is 1700&2100Mhz for the frequency
Customers are going to need an LG V20 to use the AWS-3 LTE.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Yes I'm aware of that but just wait there will be more phones that come out with support for this frequency. My Moto E(2nd Gen) has LTE that can work on 1700Mhz and since I have a Rogers GalaxyS3 that I enabled to work on WINDs 3G network by unlocking the blocked 1700Mhz frequency in the past I think my Moto E(2nd Gen) will work on WINDs LTE network since it appears that phones only need one frequency listed to work on WIND because they already work on 2100Mhz by default.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2799 posts
257 upvotes
Vancouver
I now use Rogers. $11.00 a month, the only disappointment is no call forwarding or voice mail. Two big ones, I guess.
Sep 27, 2008
588 posts
311 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: Its not just $105 for 150 internet, its that price to have unlimited data at home. As for your service with WIND getting worse its all due to congestion and when WIND or Shaw gets the hardware upgraded in your area and they are working on the GTA currently I'm sure things will get better, WIND has gotten a lot better for me in Edmonton Alberta that was upgraded in June of this year. I get up to 15.28mbps download speed and 4.28mbps upload speed. When WIND rolls out LTE then things will be better because 3G won't be used by every customer if they switch over to LTE. The new hardware is LTE enabled so they just need to flip a switch to enable LTE connectivity for customers and they are running LTE on aws-3 which is 1700&2100Mhz for the frequency

That's a horrible price for unlimited internet. In Toronto I pay $60 for unlimited 100 mbps on Rogers. Real world speeds are 120 mbps, there's no contract, and that price includes modem and everything but tax.

You seem like you're the same guy constantly posting on Wind's Facebook's page about how you have great service in Edmonton... You need to stop and realize that the majority of Wind's customers are in Toronto. The reason for the slow speeds don't matter so telling people that it's just congestion doesn't help. Wind has already upgraded a bunch of the towers in Toronto and they've barely made an improvement. I've noticed the improvements in certain areas but it's still slow. It's not 15.28mbps or anywhere close to that unless I do a speedtest at night here.

I don't understand why you constantly defend Wind and constantly tell people about how great your service is in Edmonton. Wind is a big business and there is no reason to be so heavily invested in protecting them from people online especially when people are having real problems. People don't care about the speed you are getting in Edmonton when in Toronto people sometimes can't make calls or load a webpage. Remember these are paying customers who expect service.

With that said I had 4 lines on Wind and as of today I have only kept a Pay-Your-Way line open (mostly as an extra phone in the house). Wind isn't worth the $30-$35 a month I was paying them per line. Public Mobile will average out to $37 per line and even though I lose a gb, I can at least use my phone again. $30-$35 isn't worth anything when I can't use my phone when I need to. Realistically Wind LTE is coming mid 2017 in Ontario and it requires a new phone. Wind Mobile just doesn't make sense when others are offering so much more.
Teksavvy Usage Android App - Easily track your internet usage
Sep 27, 2008
588 posts
311 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: Yes I'm aware of that but just wait there will be more phones that come out with support for this frequency. My Moto E(2nd Gen) has LTE that can work on 1700Mhz and since I have a Rogers GalaxyS3 that I enabled to work on WINDs 3G network by unlocking the blocked 1700Mhz frequency in the past I think my Moto E(2nd Gen) will work on WINDs LTE network since it appears that phones only need one frequency listed to work on WIND because they already work on 2100Mhz by default.
That's entirely incorrect. You'll need band 66 for your phone to work on Wind's future LTE network. Not just part of the 2100 MHz or 1700 MHz spectrum.
Teksavvy Usage Android App - Easily track your internet usage
May 17, 2008
199 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
I have switched from Wind to PM a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Data wise Wind worked for me in 6am in the morning and weekends only, the rest of the time I get maximum of 1.3 Mbps. Right now I am at 45 Mbps, and voice sounds a lot cleaner with PM too.
May 5, 2011
427 posts
95 upvotes
Missisaga
MSZsama wrote: I have switched from Wind to PM a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Data wise Wind worked for me in 6am in the morning and weekends only, the rest of the time I get maximum of 1.3 Mbps. Right now I am at 45 Mbps, and voice sounds a lot cleaner with PM too.
Not surprised dude, PM works on Bell towers - you can't beat that. I know PM download speeds are fantastic on LTE, but what about upload?
Public Mobile $38 4Gb LTE data on Canada's largest LTE network
Unlimited Province Wide Calling, Global Texting/MMS, Voicemail and Caller ID
iPhone 7 plus 128Gb Black