Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
I'm not defending WIND in any way. I'm just telling u how the new Nokia hardware upgrades have made the service a lot better. As for you saying that slow data isn't due to congestion i completely disagree. WIND hasn't announced they upgraded the Toronto network with new hardware so therefore it hasn't been done yet and your crappy service is coming from the old Huawei hardware that's crap and can't handle all the users on the network like the new Nokia LTE ready hardware can in Edmonton Alberta.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3801 posts
533 upvotes
Scarborough
If you don't care much for high speed data, and are ok with speeds of 5-10mb/s on average, then Wind is an excellent option, especially in suburbs. There is no point in having 50mbps data when your limited to 2-3gb in bandwidth per month either, so having LTE never mattered to me, its just a gimmick in my eyes. I remember a few years back that data speeds and reception in downtown core sucked, but that has improved greatly. Wind has really become a great 4th choice for cell phone plans, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I'm planning to switch to koodo because of reception issues, and deadspots in a few parts of the city with wind. I may come back to wind in the future, depending on how long I can stomach paying $60+/month for a phone plan. The public mobile plan is pretty decent for data, but everything else is barebones and on top of that there is no customer service, which to me is a deal breaker, even if its $20/month cheaper. I spend that much on mcdonalds in 2 days.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
5554 posts
2111 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
BrandonA586 wrote: I'm not defending WIND in any way. I'm just telling u how the new Nokia hardware upgrades have made the service a lot better. As for you saying that slow data isn't due to congestion i completely disagree. WIND hasn't announced they upgraded the Toronto network with new hardware so therefore it hasn't been done yet and your crappy service is coming from the old Huawei hardware that's crap and can't handle all the users on the network like the new Nokia LTE ready hardware can in Edmonton Alberta.
The new equipment doesn't seem to have improved reception or congestion at all. They replaced all the towers in BC with Nokia equipment back in December 2015 and while speeds have improved, reception hasn't. It's was as bad as ever for me, and I was experiencing wild fluctuations in cell reception due to congestion. Sometimes I'll have 2 bars then a few seconds later I'll have "no service" and vice versa. That is why I decided to leave, combined with the fact Wind hasn't added a single new tower in my city (population 220,000) in the past 2 years despite all the congestion and dead zones.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Sr. Member
Nov 3, 2007
845 posts
46 upvotes
Cambridge
I just looked at Public Mobile and looks like 4gb for data wouldn't do me.
4GB isn't much data really if your're looking stuff up.
I use about 8-9 GB on WIND for $56 and change tax in. text n ph, 10GB data.
Cambridge,Ontario
Newbie
Feb 28, 2012
1 posts
The plans may be a lot cheaper than other providers but for good reason. Their network coverage map is not accurate because within the coverage zones the signal is weak or non existent so your phone won't work a lot of the time. Their technical department is horrible to deal with to try to trouble shoot why your phone isn't working where it should and some of their customer service staff at the stores haven't got a clue about customer service. When I cancelled the plan after a lot of frustration I asked for a partial credit for the money I had already spent while the plan was active (since I could only use my phone maybe 25% of the time) and they ignored the request completely and charged me full rate for service that didn't work.

They are absolutely clueless, there isn't one good thing I can say about Wind so I strongly recommend that if you want a cell phone that works and a company that cares about you go elsewhere.
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Your in BC what do you expect for cell service there the mountains and hills block signal for all carriers way too easily and theres probally a lot more customers in BC than there are in Edmonton, or it could be the fact that BC sucks for cell service on any carrier so just expect bad service as long as your there because it wont get better trust me its hard to make something better when there are a lot of things blocking signals for cell service and even radio waves. Also WIND has had a name change that took place last monday they are now called Freedom Mobile and they have an awesome Everywhere55 plan for $55 that finally includes unlimited picture messaging when your roaming off the big 3 carrier networks which is something the Everywhere60 plan never had which was stupid and i switched to that plan as soon as it came out, I dont plan on dropping freedom mobile because of the incredible deal I have which gives me unlimited data when im roaming, yes its only 1GB at high speed before u get throttled but its better than nothing.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Also I get full signal everywhere in Edmonton,St Albert,Sherwood park,Leduc,Fort Saskatewan, and beaumont which is where they give service here in the surrounding cities outside of Edmonton so once again your crap signal is due to things blocking the radio waves. They do care about their customers because ive had a few coverage improvements made in areas that i requested and the new nokia hardware has helped a lot by making previous weak signal areas full signal places. think again befoee you say they dont care about customers because if that was the case they wouldnt be in business, they have only been around 7 years where as the big3 money gouging greedy carriers have had their networks around for 20-30 years so its an unfair comparision. enjoy your limited data that you can plow through at fast speeds and get charged overage fees while I enjoy my unlimited data across canada out of their coverage zones and in their coverage zones with no overage charges and i get the same bill every month where as u wont have that with the big3 or even the smaller carriers that use other carriers towers.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2008
588 posts
311 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: I'm not defending WIND in any way. I'm just telling u how the new Nokia hardware upgrades have made the service a lot better. As for you saying that slow data isn't due to congestion i completely disagree. WIND hasn't announced they upgraded the Toronto network with new hardware so therefore it hasn't been done yet and your crappy service is coming from the old Huawei hardware that's crap and can't handle all the users on the network like the new Nokia LTE ready hardware can in Edmonton Alberta.
You constantly defend Wind. I'm telling you that the Nokia hardware have made next to no difference in Toronto. And yes Toronto does have the new equipment. LTE launched and it for sure launched on Nokia equipment not the old Huawei hardware. I said it's congestion. Wind's towers are congested but telling people "it's just congestion" is BS. People don't care. The end result is they can't make phone calls/go on Facebook/Facetime their family.

Again Toronto is upgraded already. It's already happened and the 3G network is garbage. You can love Wind all you want but stop being so blind to the problems that other users are having.
Teksavvy Usage Android App - Easily track your internet usage
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
rainor94 wrote: That's a horrible price for unlimited internet. In Toronto I pay $60 for unlimited 100 mbps on Rogers. Real world speeds are 120 mbps, there's no contract, and that price includes modem and everything but tax.

You seem like you're the same guy constantly posting on Wind's Facebook's page about how you have great service in Edmonton... You need to stop and realize that the majority of Wind's customers are in Toronto. The reason for the slow speeds don't matter so telling people that it's just congestion doesn't help. Wind has already upgraded a bunch of the towers in Toronto and they've barely made an improvement. I've noticed the improvements in certain areas but it's still slow. It's not 15.28mbps or anywhere close to that unless I do a speedtest at night here.

I don't understand why you constantly defend Wind and constantly tell people about how great your service is in Edmonton. Wind is a big business and there is no reason to be so heavily invested in protecting them from people online especially when people are having real problems. People don't care about the speed you are getting in Edmonton when in Toronto people sometimes can't make calls or load a webpage. Remember these are paying customers who expect service.


With that said I had 4 lines on Wind and as of today I have only kept a Pay-Your-Way line open (mostly as an extra phone in the house). Wind isn't worth the $30-$35 a month I was paying them per line. Public Mobile will average out to $37 per line and even though I lose a gb, I can at least use my phone again. $30-$35 isn't worth anything when I can't use my phone when I need to. Realistically Wind LTE is coming mid 2017 in Ontario and it requires a new phone. Wind Mobile just doesn't make sense when others are offering so much more.
My Advanced WiFi Modem Rental from Shaw is included for free with my unlimited internet. Also Freedom Mobile has said they are doing improvements but that doesnt mean they have done the hardware upgrades, if they did any hardware upgrades then they would have announced that it was done just like they did for western canada. Ontario is a lot bigger so they have a lot more customers according to what you said with your crappy service and you can blame a number of things on that, congestion, the fact that they dont have any low band spectrum yet and also because they havent been around for 20+ years like the bigger carriers have, you cant join a 7 year old carrier with unlimited data on a 3G network and expect them to be perfect, that right there is expecting way too much, the reason the bigger carriers and the ones that use other carriers cell towers have decent networks is because they arent stupid, they quit offering unlimited data as soon as smartphones came out and they charge a ******** fee like $50 per month just for having a smartphone then the price goes up from there with low data caps and that is totally uncalled for.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2008
588 posts
311 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: enjoy your limited data that you can plow through at fast speeds and get charged overage fees while I enjoy my unlimited data across canada out of their coverage zones and in their coverage zones with no overage charges and i get the same bill every month where as u wont have that with the big3 or even the smaller carriers that use other carriers towers.

Relax. You get 1 gb outside Wind's zones and lots of the people here are on Public Mobile who also get the same bill every 3 months with no overages.
Teksavvy Usage Android App - Easily track your internet usage
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
I get 1GB at high speed out of Freedom Mobiles zones and then the rest is throttled for speed but I can still use as much as I want the usage is unlimited with no charges!
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3484 posts
845 upvotes
Home
BrandonA586 wrote: they quit offering unlimited data as soon as smartphones came out and they charge a ******** fee like $50 per month just for having a smartphone then the price goes up from there with low data caps and that is totally uncalled for.
Are you talking about Wind Mobile? They did exactly this.
First they advertised their data as 'unlimited data', but then later they made a fair usage policy which caps the data usage at 5GB, then it goes down to reduced speed (which took at least several refreshes & more than 5 minutes to open an email)
Then they scraped their $25 and $35 plans (which were actually good) and started offering $40 and $45 plans.
Then for plans less than $40, they reduced the data to 3GB...and changed name to 'Freedom'...sure..
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: Are you talking about Wind Mobile? They did exactly this.
First they advertised their data as 'unlimited data', but then later they made a fair usage policy which caps the data usage at 5GB, then it goes down to reduced speed (which took at least several refreshes & more than 5 minutes to open an email)
Then they scraped their $25 and $35 plans (which were actually good) and started offering $40 and $45 plans.
Then for plans less than $40, they reduced the data to 3GB...and changed name to 'Freedom'...sure..
If they didn't have a fair use policy then their network would be slow everywhere all the time. Don't be an abuser and use your data as a replacement for home internet. That's exactly what you are saying your doing. They don't cap your usage they slow your speed down til the end of your bill cycle so abusers of their data can't slow down the network for everyone else hence the name "fair use". They are just following what the crtc has as a guideline. I'd rather have my speed slowed down and still be allowed to use as much as I want instead of hefty overage charges. You either have to accept the fair use policy or quit complaining about how much you hate that policy that makes things fair for everyone else using the network and go with a greedy carrier with limited data.
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: Are you talking about Wind Mobile? They did exactly this.
First they advertised their data as 'unlimited data', but then later they made a fair usage policy which caps the data usage at 5GB, then it goes down to reduced speed (which took at least several refreshes & more than 5 minutes to open an email)
Then they scraped their $25 and $35 plans (which were actually good) and started offering $40 and $45 plans.
Then for plans less than $40, they reduced the data to 3GB...and changed name to 'Freedom'...sure..
And I'm talking about the greedy carriers that charge over $100 for cell phone service by adding a $50 smartphone fee to your bill then charging lots of money for low data caps not freedom mobile.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3484 posts
845 upvotes
Home
BrandonA586 wrote: If they didn't have a fair use policy then their network would be slow everywhere all the time. Don't be an abuser and use your data as a replacement for home internet. That's exactly what you are saying your doing. They don't cap your usage they slow your speed down til the end of your bill cycle so abusers of their data can't slow down the network for everyone else hence the name "fair use". They are just following what the crtc has as a guideline. I'd rather have my speed slowed down and still be allowed to use as much as I want instead of hefty overage charges. You either have to accept the fair use policy or quit complaining about how much you hate that policy that makes things fair for everyone else using the network and go with a greedy carrier with limited data.
1 (this is a big number one). I am not interested in 'why' they had to do it, I am trying to say Wind Mobile did exactly what you said about big 3.
2. You don't know me, don't define what I am saying I am doing (you are doing, or your doing?)
3. to cap = to place restriction on usage. If 'unusable speed kicks in if you use up 'xx' GB of data' is not capping, then the meaning of the word 'cap ' should be changed.
4. I don't hate that policy, I actually welcomed it because I was never able to use more than 3GB every month because Wind Mobile was brutally unreliable AND slow AND spotty, and hated all those congestion and high traffic. I wanted to like Wind Mobile. I really tried for 2+ years. And my family tried until earlier this year. I feel great if someone nearby still uses Wind Mobile and he/she says 'no complaint'..because they are taking the great value.
Most people - they are not as stupid as you may think. There is a reason 30 million people are still on big 3 after 7 years of Wind in market, and only 1 million people are on Wind. There is a reason it took 7 years for Wind to reach 1 million users, as opposed to their original plan to reach that number by end of 2011.

Top