Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3374 posts
774 upvotes
Home
BrandonA586 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 10:43 am
And I'm talking about the greedy carriers that charge over $100 for cell phone service by adding a $50 smartphone fee to your bill then charging lots of money for low data caps not freedom mobile.
OK, thanks for clarification. I was confused because Wind Mobile did what you described - with one exception.
NO carrier charged a $50 smartphone fee on monthly bill. Whatever additional fee is part of the original phone price. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Koodo $40 6GB
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
terry0703 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 10:52 am
1 (this is a big number one). I am not interested in 'why' they had to do it, I am trying to say Wind Mobile did exactly what you said about big 3.
2. You don't know me, don't define what I am saying I am doing (you are doing, or your doing?)
3. to cap = to place restriction on usage. If 'unusable speed kicks in if you use up 'xx' GB of data' is not capping, then the meaning of the word 'cap ' should be changed.
4. I don't hate that policy, I actually welcomed it because I was never able to use more than 3GB every month because Wind Mobile was brutally unreliable AND slow AND spotty, and hated all those congestion and high traffic. I wanted to like Wind Mobile. I really tried for 2+ years. And my family tried until earlier this year. I feel great if someone nearby still uses Wind Mobile and he/she says 'no complaint'..because they are taking the great value.
Most people - they are not as stupid as you may think. There is a reason 30 million people are still on big 3 after 7 years of Wind in market, and only 1 million people are on Wind. There is a reason it took 7 years for Wind to reach 1 million users, as opposed to their original plan to reach that number by end of 2011.
I'm pretty sure the big3 carriers didn't have many customers when they started like Freedom Mobile is because all their networks were the same as freedom mobiles network is. I'm sure after freedom mobile gets their coverage expanded to everywhere the big3 networks give their customers service by roaming then things will be better. Apparently having everywhere plans since April14th of this year hasn't been enough for a lot of new people that live in bad areas to switch over to that plan or join freedom mobile period but its a good start because it allows us customers to use our phones for free out of their coverage zones without roaming charges because its included in the plan.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3374 posts
774 upvotes
Home
BrandonA586 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 11:03 am
I'm pretty sure the big3 carriers didn't have many customers when they started like Freedom Mobile is because all their networks were the same as freedom mobiles network is. I'm sure after freedom mobile gets their coverage expanded to everywhere the big3 networks give their customers service by roaming then things will be better. Apparently having everywhere plans since April14th of this year hasn't been enough for a lot of new people that live in bad areas to switch over to that plan or join freedom mobile period but its a good start because it allows us customers to use our phones for free out of their coverage zones without roaming charges because its included in the plan.
I can agree to a certain level, and I do wish Wind (now Freedom) Mobile to make some positive impact. I had my hope too. I tried myself for 2+ years. My family tried until recently. I see no difference, no change since the first time I joined Wind - 2011. still dropped calls, still full signal bars but no response, still brutally slow speed. I've seen and heard a lot of promises, they may have been executed and implemented. But eventually most customers are experiencing and just enduring the same issues.
Koodo $40 6GB
Apr 18, 2004
725 posts
153 upvotes
people are arguing with a wind employee
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Nov 30, 2002
515 posts
17 upvotes
I tried Wind for a week and it was a nightmare of an experience. I live in Mississauga and data speeds were horribly slow. Switched to Virgin for the same price and i'm much happier. Wind is absolutely useless imo!
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
terry0703 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 8:24 am
Are you talking about Wind Mobile? They did exactly this.
First they advertised their data as 'unlimited data', but then later they made a fair usage policy which caps the data usage at 5GB, then it goes down to reduced speed (which took at least several refreshes & more than 5 minutes to open an email)
Then they scraped their $25 and $35 plans (which were actually good) and started offering $40 and $45 plans.
Then for plans less than $40, they reduced the data to 3GB...and changed name to 'Freedom'...sure..
Its called a full speed allotment not a cap on your usage they just slow down your speeds til the end of your billing cycle so u can't bog down the network and they throttle instead of charge u high overage fees! Unlimited high speed data on a carrier is a dream it will never happen because it slows down the network for everyone else.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18241 posts
6287 upvotes
Toronto
This thread title needs to change. The pricing gap is closing because the big 3 are offering deals here and there. Freedom has up the pricing for LTE plans.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30417 posts
4983 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BrandonA586 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2016 9:11 pm
Its called a full speed allotment not a cap on your usage they just slow down your speeds til the end of your billing cycle so u can't bog down the network and they throttle instead of charge u high overage fees! Unlimited high speed data on a carrier is a dream it will never happen because it slows down the network for everyone else.
That rich

Advertise unlimited when it is clearly limited to 5 Gig

Then make a barely usable service totally unusable by slowing it down.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17421 posts
1615 upvotes
Woodbridge
I kept going back-and-forth whether I should keep it because I really love the LG V20, which is exclusive to Freedom Mobile. Today, I returned and cancelled it.

I had it for 5 days. Location & Patients sums this company up.

When your phone's connection disconnects it's a problem, today I couldn't use while in Yorkdale Mall or when I'm working out in GoodLife which some are underground. In the right place and it matches any other network. I don't care if the plan is $10 a month if you can't use it what's the point.

It's been a few years since I first tried it and seems nothing has changed in terms of reliability. I only know 7, 4 are co-workers and I don't know how they put up with it.

Is 5 days enough for me to get over the LG V20, who knows but I will keep an eye on Black Friday for it. :)
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3116 posts
1801 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
will888 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 9:04 pm
This thread title needs to change. The pricing gap is closing because the big 3 are offering deals here and there. Freedom has up the pricing for LTE plans.
Too soon to say. It is holiday season and that's why there were deals here and there. It's when prices go back to normal is when we see if prices have truly dropped.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18241 posts
6287 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 12:06 pm
Too soon to say. It is holiday season and that's why there were deals here and there. It's when prices go back to normal is when we see if prices have truly dropped.
Well, Freedom has put out their offerings. Basically, no sales, just savings for a certain number of months. I stand by my position that they are now expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5143 posts
509 upvotes
Has anyone else noticed its service in terms of getting decent signals has really gotten worse in the last 6 months ..I live of the west side of Mississauga and lots of times in the evening I get no cell signal at all now and switiches to roaming
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Mourinho IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5442 posts
2023 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
rb wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 9:24 am
Has anyone else noticed its service in terms of getting decent signals has really gotten worse in the last 6 months ..I live of the west side of Mississauga and lots of times in the evening I get no cell signal at all now and switiches to roaming
That's the normal outcome of adding more customers to the network than their infrastructure can handle.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Apr 26, 2014
13 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi guys I'm planning to cut cost. Their plans seem cheap. How's the reception?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4303 posts
3412 upvotes
5irestormer wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 3:44 pm
Hi guys I'm planning to cut cost. Their plans seem cheap. How's the reception?
You realize Wind Mobile changed their name to Freedom not too long ago right?

It's the same company... new name. Same ol' crappy Wind network.