Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 1, 2009
251 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just recently switched to Virgin Mobile after sticking with them for the last four years.

The reception is spotty at best. The one thing that always made me grind my teeth in frustration was the lack of service at large events. In my case, I never had reception at BMO Field, The Ex, and The ACC.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15072 posts
2916 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: You realize Wind Mobile changed their name to Freedom not too long ago right?

It's the same company... new name. Same ol' crappy Wind network.
It's not the same company. Wind was sold. The new owner changed the name.
Even so, it's hard to confirm intent to improve things in the Toronto area.
Their current game plan might be to attack Telus in BC and areas around there... (given the company that bought them...)
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12113 posts
5256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
playnicee1 wrote: It's not the same company. Wind was sold. The new owner changed the name.
Even so, it's hard to confirm intent to improve things in the Toronto area.
Their current game plan might be to attack Telus in BC and areas around there... (given the company that bought them...)
Okay... legally, it's not the same company. But judging from the complaints posted on RFD, not much if anything has changed for the better. In fact, I think it might have gotten worse with Freedom's use of LTE frequencies that no-one can use other than the phones Freedom sells (and that's only two models).

As for using Freedom to attack Telus, good look with that one. Freedom's footprint is too small to have any real meaningful impact on the number of subscribers and if you combine that with their sorry attempt to get into the LTE market, Freedom will be stuck with the lower end of the market place due to their small selection of LTE compatible handsets and small footprint.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1748 posts
169 upvotes
Still as bad as their commercial. God that commercial is annoying.

I am all for saving money but somethings I won't compromise on and cell reception is one of them. I need it to work, not hope that it works. Maybe if that isn't so important to you, then it will be okay.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15072 posts
2916 upvotes
Toronto
br0pbr0p wrote: Still as bad as their commercial. God that commercial is annoying.
Hmmm...doesn't it look like Freedom mobile painted Zeddy (the former Zellers mascot) orange and gave him a new job? lol
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15072 posts
2916 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: Okay... legally, it's not the same company. But judging from the complaints posted on RFD, not much if anything has changed for the better. In fact, I think it might have gotten worse with Freedom's use of LTE frequencies that no-one can use other than the phones Freedom sells (and that's only two models).

As for using Freedom to attack Telus, good look with that one. Freedom's footprint is too small to have any real meaningful impact on the number of subscribers and if you combine that with their sorry attempt to get into the LTE market, Freedom will be stuck with the lower end of the market place due to their small selection of LTE compatible handsets and small footprint.
That's why Shaw should have gone with a stronger name like Shaw mobile. They'd at least sound like they intend to be a strong player in the wireless phone business.
Instead, right from the get go, they come across as being competition to fido Chatr.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12113 posts
5256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
playnicee1 wrote: That's why Shaw should have gone with a stronger name like Shaw mobile. They'd at least sound like they intend to be a strong player in the wireless phone business.
Instead, right from the get go, they come across as being competition to fido Chatr.
I believe Shaw decided to 'unbrand' so that if the business doesn't work out they can always sell the business and it would not tarnish their own brand.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12113 posts
5256 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
playnicee1 wrote: Hmmm...doesn't it look like Freedom mobile painted Zeddy (the former Zellers mascot) orange and gave him a new job? lol
Probably. It's good to see a good mascot be re-employed rather than living off the mascot assistance :)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1680 posts
758 upvotes
OK, I have been with Wind/Freedom for a bit over a year now, and still with them. I happen to live/work in an area where Wind coverage is good, and I have not had dropped calls so far. Text sometimes takes a while to arrive, which is disturbing, but I don't text much. I think you can live with Wind if you see Data as something fun and nice to have, not something to depend on. During peak hours, wind data routinely go to extremely low speeds. In downtown Ottawa on weekends, the speed is in 1kb/s range. But as a carrier for Pokemon Go, and for checking things just out of curiosity, rather than need, it's sufficient.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2511 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BlueSolstice wrote: OK, I have been with Wind/Freedom for a bit over a year now, and still with them. I happen to live/work in an area where Wind coverage is good, and I have not had dropped calls so far. Text sometimes takes a while to arrive, which is disturbing, but I don't text much. I think you can live with Wind if you see Data as something fun and nice to have, not something to depend on. During peak hours, wind data routinely go to extremely low speeds. In downtown Ottawa on weekends, the speed is in 1kb/s range. But as a carrier for Pokemon Go, and for checking things just out of curiosity, rather than need, it's sufficient.
LOL.
I don't think WIND wants this as a positive endorsement.
"Text and data don't really work.. but if you're OK with that, WIND is great".
It 2017 even with "unlimited voice" most people barely use voice at the same rate as they do text & data.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
jvnanu wrote: Yeah, a 5GB plan in the $40-$45 range seems like it would be popular.
Its not just a $50 plan its called the Everywhere55 plan that includes free roaming anywhere in Canada and the USA.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: OK, I have been with Wind/Freedom for a bit over a year now, and still with them. I happen to live/work in an area where Wind coverage is good, and I have not had dropped calls so far. Text sometimes takes a while to arrive, which is disturbing, but I don't text much. I think you can live with Wind if you see Data as something fun and nice to have, not something to depend on. During peak hours, wind data routinely go to extremely low speeds. In downtown Ottawa on weekends, the speed is in 1kb/s range. But as a carrier for Pokemon Go, and for checking things just out of curiosity, rather than need, it's sufficient.
I'm in Edmonton Alberta I've been with freedom mobile since they were called WIND I signed up on august15th 2014 and I've had free roaming in my service since May2015 when they offered the Cross canada49 plan with free Canada wide roaming with all your plans features available when roaming. When they rebranded as freedom mobile I switched to the Everywhere55 plan for $55 per month that has Canada and USA wide roaming included. I get up to 15.40mbps download and 4.40mbps upload on freedom mobile in Edmonton, Sherwood park,at Albert,fort Saskatchewan, leduc and nisku which are all the cities outside of Edmonton that they cover. I'm not giving up my free roaming just to get LTE and go back to pay per use roaming rates because of the plan change. I like having unlimited data available when I'm roaming with 1gb at high speed then the rest throttled without any overage charges. Anyone who says the throttling sucks should be thankful it's throttled for speeds instead of huge overage charges. This is how I look at it.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1680 posts
758 upvotes
OK, that 1GB US roaming package really helps. It's on T-mobile, which works OK for urban centers in the US, which is where I often travel for work. Over a one week period, or sometimes up to 10 days, it's nice to be able to use my personal phone leisurely, for my personal matters. For work, I got a company phone that's with Rogers, but I still want to keep in touch with family and friends back home. Telus' roaming rates are just stupid.

Where I work and live, Wind speed is actually pretty good. The other day I just streamed a movie, on my phone. About 1GB in 1 hour, just because.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
You can get on the Everywhere55 plan and enjoy the USA roaming features in Canada as well that's what I just said
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19243 posts
7338 upvotes
Toronto
I started with Wind back in 2012 because of their fantastic signal at work. Data speed was very usable as well. Fast forward to the Shaw ownership era and data at work stopped working. Messaging became instant when I got home and connected to wifi. Although the cost was really cheap for me on the legacy plan, it was still not worthwhile to suffer in hopes of a better tomorrow. At today's pricing, I would not encourage anyone even if I hate their guts to join Freedom Mobile.