Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
will888 wrote: I started with Wind back in 2012 because of their fantastic signal at work. Data speed was very usable as well. Fast forward to the Shaw ownership era and data at work stopped working. Messaging became instant when I got home and connected to wifi. Although the cost was really cheap for me on the legacy plan, it was still not worthwhile to suffer in hopes of a better tomorrow. At today's pricing, I would not encourage anyone even if I hate their guts to join Freedom Mobile.
Meanwhile things have gotten a lot better for me ever since the upgrades in June2016 took place for Edmonton Alberta and surrounding cities. Don't tell people they shouldn't join let them try it for 15 days its different for everyone. Read my post above as it says how good of data speeds I get
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3731 posts
1145 upvotes
Parry Sound
So anyone on their LTE in GTA want to show us an speed test result?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19245 posts
7341 upvotes
Toronto
BrandonA586 wrote: Meanwhile things have gotten a lot better for me ever since the upgrades in June2016 took place for Edmonton Alberta and surrounding cities. Don't tell people they shouldn't join let them try it for 15 days its different for everyone. Read my post above as it says how good of data speeds I get
You are most welcome to try out the network in the GTA. I closed my account last year in December. So it is not like I was a customer long, long ago. The bruises on the forehead from banging walls waiting for web pages are still healing.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
mobifree wrote: I have a hard time believing Freedom has a better network than TELUS.
Freedom mobile is using a frequency that no other carrier uses so their LTE will be better due to no interference on the same frequency as the big3 However its not worth it for me to upgrade my phone that's not even a year old til later this week and lose my Everywhere55 plan with free Canada and USA roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2511 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BrandonA586 wrote: Freedom mobile is using a frequency that no other carrier uses so their LTE will be better due to no interference on the same frequency as the big3 However its not worth it for me to upgrade my phone that's not even a year old til later this week and lose my Everywhere55 plan with free Canada and USA roaming
Just because Rogers, Bell and TELUS use the same frequency doesn't mean there's a greater risk of interference. Rogers uses different channels within the frequency than TELUS/Bell.
I think the speed difference is just an aberration (likely a network issue a the time of the test).
Nov 3, 2007
845 posts
46 upvotes
Cambridge
Still I do $56.50 tx in. on Freedom, full 10 gb unthrottled and all the other stuff..for my area and what I do thats enough for now.
3 to 5 ish gb just isn't enough for me with about same pricing from competitors.
Do I get coverage absolutely everywhere ? no..but I like the price.
Around my area its okay for me.
Cambridge,Ontario
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
tyreman wrote: Still I do $56.50 tx in. on Freedom, full 10 gb unthrottled and all the other stuff..for my area and what I do thats enough for now.
3 to 5 ish gb just isn't enough for me with about same pricing from competitors.
Do I get coverage absolutely everywhere ? no..but I like the price.
Around my area its okay for me.
If u want coverage outside of their own network then check out the Everywhere55 plan with free Canada and USA wide roaming.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1733 posts
530 upvotes
I've switched from Wind (FM) to Public Mobile about 2 months back.

The strongest positive impressions with PM wrt FM are:
- web pages load fast, no more long waiting, which probably was the most irritating thing with FM.
- The upload is working again, so I can use again two-way apps like skype, voip etc.
- netflix is no longer throttled to an unacceptable low quality (this was the case with Wind/FM)
- no more "dead" corners inside the buildings. Well, almost.

I'm never going back.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2400 posts
459 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tichi wrote: I've switched from Wind (FM) to Public Mobile about 2 months back.

- web pages load fast, no more long waiting, which probably was the most irritating thing with FM.
- The upload is working again, so I can use again two-way apps like skype, voip etc.
- netflix is no longer throttled to an unacceptable low quality (this was the case with Wind/FM)

I'm never going back.
+1 I did the same... Not going back either
12GB /90 days $38 Telus Network....Can't beat that
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19245 posts
7341 upvotes
Toronto

I'm never going back.
Don't forget to add instant messages are instant again.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19245 posts
7341 upvotes
Toronto
BrandonA586 wrote: Freedom mobile is using a frequency that no other carrier uses so their LTE will be better due to no interference on the same frequency as the big3 However its not worth it for me to upgrade my phone that's not even a year old til later this week and lose my Everywhere55 plan with free Canada and USA roaming
The reason why freedom had such great speed test results right now is because you can probably count the number of customers on the LTE network with one hand.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3731 posts
1145 upvotes
Parry Sound

I'm never going back.
You cant compare Telus' network to Wind. And now that Shaw owns Wind/FM I'm sure things will change for the better much faster. Shaw is an established company and has been in Canadian telecom for decades. They have money and resources to get things done.

I switched to PM as well but I kept my old Wind account active to keep their loyalty deal ($45 for 6GB LTE). 'Never going back' is a bold statement. Big 3 will become Big 4 very soon with Shaw growing in the east.

The only problem I have with the PM 90 day deals is the data is for all 90 consecutive days instead of being split between 3 calendar months. With Wind/PM it's monthly and if you go over your limit you're throttled instead of being cut off or being charged overage fees.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19245 posts
7341 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote: You cant compare Telus' network to Wind. And now that Shaw owns Wind/FM I'm sure things will change for the better much faster. Shaw is an established company and has been in Canadian telecom for decades. They have money and resources to get things done.

I switched to PM as well but I kept my old Wind account active to keep their loyalty deal ($45 for 6GB LTE). 'Never going back' is a bold statement. Big 3 will become Big 4 very soon with Shaw growing in the east.

The only problem I have with the PM 90 day deals is the data is for all 90 consecutive days instead of being split between 3 calendar months. With Wind/PM it's monthly and if you go over your limit you're throttled instead of being cut off or being charged overage fees.
I will second @Tichi 's assertion of never going back to Freedom. While Shaw may have the resources on paper to make a reasonably successful go of it, it is Shaw and how they butchered the minimally acceptable service in 2016 that led me to switch to Public Mobile. Now that Freedom pricing is the same as the flanker brands while their network remains as broken as ever, I think the word never is a pretty safe assertion.

I find it interesting that you don't like the 90 day plan duration. I really like it because it allows the data bucket to be spread over a longer duration. To me, it is as good as my previous Wind plan with 5 gigs of naturally throttled data. I don't use 5 gigs a month, usually 3 gigs is good enough. So, having 12 gigs spread over 90 day would provide enough flexibility to hit 5 gigs in a 30 day stretch and still have enough data for the rest of the term. Believe me, if the average customer relied heavily use of the deliberately throttled Freedom data, they would all complain that it performs like a hard cap at 5 gigs. The free overage is just an advertising gimmick.