Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3744 posts
1161 upvotes
Parry Sound
d1ulove3 wrote: Last time when I going wind or FM is when they have 6 months free service, after that I said it's not worthy to let go my plan and save some $. So keep my VM plan until now I sign again for FM when they have a promo ℅35 off on any plan lots of changes and improvements it's a no brainier if you don't take that 35% off good for my daughter usage. Today I get the ZTE Grand X 4 immediately LTE show up on it call text data no problem
I wish I could comprehend what you're trying to say.
Doubleshot wrote: ?? Public mobile is still better and those who switched to public are price protected

So basically.. it's you who missed out
Except you're wrong with both statements.

It's not price protected. You're only getting that price guaranteed for 90 days. It could change without notice for the next cycle.

Also, the plan I have with FM is something that PM doesn't even offer. Even their closest offering is still more than my FM plan.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
446 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote:

Except you're wrong with both statements.

It's not price protected. You're only getting that price guaranteed for 90 days. It could change without notice for the next cycle.

Also, the plan I have with FM is something that PM doesn't even offer. Even their closest offering is still more than my FM plan.
You're wrong...go ask PM yourself..those already on it get to keep it

FM has much worst coverage and quality than PM
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3744 posts
1161 upvotes
Parry Sound
Doubleshot wrote: You're wrong...go ask PM yourself..those already on it get to keep it

Firstly, FM's coverage is expanding and has gotten exponentially better and will continue with the addition of the bands they just purchased this month. Either way if you have a decent phone and don't travel outside of major cities then it shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

Secondly, you're 100% wrong about price protection. How a bout you read the ToS that you blindly agreed to when you signed up. You are NOT price protected. They can change the price or cancel any promotions on your next billing cycle without notice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5554 posts
2111 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Doubleshot wrote: You're wrong...go ask PM yourself..those already on it get to keep it

PM increased the legacy rate plans by $3/month.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11992 posts
8611 upvotes
sometimes
dealseaker101 wrote: PM increased the legacy rate plans by $3/month.
Exactly, there's no price protection...especially on BYOD or prepaid, and that's with any carrier.

Also, for those who take phone plans (2 yr agreements), carriers will likely find ways of not allowing you to keep your plan on an upgrade.

If you're on a grandfathered FM plan, they won't let you keep your plan on an upgrade, either. Plus I think FM grandfathered prepaid.

Freedom Mobile will be good if and when they partner with Robbers to share a 5G network (similar to what Bellus are doing now).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4300 posts
397 upvotes
Calgary
The older grandfathered plans less than a certain $$ are not eligible for tab. There used to be a $150 discount for any tab, a true discount back then, now its the cost of the phone financed over 24 months.

Switching from LTE to voice for answering or making a phone call, there is a noticeable delay.

Connection is still spotty, but its not that much of an inconvenience for me, so I am still with them, considering the savings.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
446 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote: Firstly, FM's coverage is expanding and has gotten exponentially better and will continue with the addition of the bands they just purchased this month. Either way if you have a decent phone and don't travel outside of major cities then it shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

Secondly, you're 100% wrong about price protection. How a bout you read the ToS that you blindly agreed to when you signed up. You are NOT price protected. They can change the price or cancel any promotions on your next billing cycle without notice.
Just like how FM jacked up the rates?

FM is still pure garbage within coverage area in Urban areas and doesn't even cover the gta and there's still no service downtown
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3744 posts
1161 upvotes
Parry Sound
Doubleshot wrote: Just like how FM jacked up the rates?

FM is still pure garbage within coverage area in Urban areas and doesn't even cover the gta and there's still no service downtown
I have a feeling you haven't used Wind/Freedom since 2012 or you're using an old ass phone. The things you say make no sense.

Wind/FM work perfectly downtown. When was the last time you actually used their service?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
446 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote: I have a feeling you haven't used Wind/Freedom since 2012 or you're using an old ass phone. The things you say make no sense.

Wind/FM work perfectly downtown. When was the last time you actually used their service?
Downtown Toronto..does not work... Go on the freedom mobile subreddit

Samsung S7 and nexus 6p... Tried late 2016

Typical of wind/freedom... phone shows full bars.. but no actual service
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2689 upvotes
ON
Doubleshot wrote: Downtown Toronto..does not work... Go on the freedom mobile subreddit

Samsung S7 and nexus 6p... Tried late 2016

Typical of wind/freedom... phone shows full bars.. but no actual service
So he's correct, you have not used it recently to make any comment on the current service.
There have been upgrades to HSPA and they basically doubled the network capacity on top of that by launching LTE over all the existing footprint in GTA on a new spectrum set.

Use a 2017 phone that has band66 and it's like a whole other service as you have access to double the capacity you did before.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3744 posts
1161 upvotes
Parry Sound
aqnd wrote: So he's correct, you have not used it recently to make any comment on the current service.
There have been upgrades to HSPA and they basically doubled the network capacity on top of that by launching LTE over all the existing footprint in GTA on a new spectrum set.

Use a 2017 phone that has band66 and it's like a whole other service as you have access to double the capacity you did before.
Exactly. Their LTE consistency is unmatched. I've compared it with Rogers and yes, sometimes Rogers has much faster speeds but sometimes it doesn't whereas FM's LTE was consistently the same speed every time.

Not only that but their 3g has definitely improved. It's still not the greatest but FAR better than what it was even just last year.

And with the recent spectrum purchase from Quebecor, their service will only continue to improve.
Jul 12, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
cheap mobiles are not for business folks or serious users. In emergencies, they may fail spectacularly. I was at the city hall for Canada day celebrations, there was no way i could make the phone call. Bell and Rogers were working great. Why is that? Basically you get what you pay for! If you could pay bit more, there are so many reliable services and would work great in emergencies.
Jul 25, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
🛡I have spent much time with level 4tech team and
supervisors to affirm the issues of throttling in 2017 and the need to upgrade the minimum throttle speed but the same excuses and lake of
I do much agree with your requests. The are actually in breach of contract as per their policy and FEDERAL POLICIES.
thank you for this !! 🛡
Jul 25, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
🛡 @TheUglyTruth is this service is priceless BUT ....I
predict that if they don't get with the times and stop making changing after they loose 10% or 100k of loyal customer base by upgrading their throttle speed . Do the DIRECTORS OF SHAW and FREEDOM even use the service...I challenge them to use their product first before rolling it out. 🛡
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2245 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I have used FM downtown and it works. Its has improve much in 2017. The Wi-Fi calling fixes some of the penetration issues.