Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1145 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Well it's because freedom phones have different bands than what Rogers may support so even roaming on Rogers, the experience is poor
Not likely with any modern phone (last couple of years), any phone that supports Freedoms bands will support Rogers. Roaming is also on Telus/Bell.
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Well it's because freedom phones have different bands than what Rogers may support so even roaming on Rogers, the experience is poor
Virtually all phones in the last few years that work on Freedom also support the Rogers bands. It's just that Rogers coverage in many rural zones is just not as good as Bell/Telus. Rogers clients get the same spotty experience as Freedom users roaming on Rogers in the same areas, in my experience.

The one person I know who does like Freedom does get good rural coverage in the rural area that he likes the most (on Rogers), so he's sticking with it.

The friend who gave up on Freedom last year did so because of reliability issues while on the Freedom network itself, not while roaming on Rogers.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: Virtually all phones in the last few years that work on Freedom also support the Rogers bands. It's just that Rogers coverage in many rural zones is just not as good as Bell/Telus. Rogers clients get the same spotty experience as Freedom users roaming on Rogers in the same areas, in my experience.
They don't especially not in rural areas where Rogers uses very different 3g bands
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
For what it's worth, I've been on Freedom/wind for a few years. My wife is also on Freedom, after she got sick of Fido promotion calls. We live in sub-urban Ottawa, and my G5 recently got LTE service, after a much delayed software update. Not a good choice if you go to rural areas often, or goes downtown often. But for sub-urban areas, I'm doing fine. Freedom has reasonably price regular plans, which means I switch between plans as my usage changes, rather than negotiate a plan with a rep and get somewhat stuck with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
I'm in Ajax and have had no issues with Freedom since joining last fall when my wife and I got the Friends and Family discount. $30/mth 10gb plan is great. Been to some rural areas where I still got service. Went on a cruise, used wifi-calling. I think since I got it, probably 2-3 dropped calls. No biggie. Well worth the cost. This plan would be $100/mth elsewhere.