Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3619 posts
1065 upvotes
Parry Sound
Gs9plus wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:42 am
I get decent service in Vancouver, its gets sketchy on the north shore mountains, & goes dead @ home in Burnaby. (My last place was fine in New West tho)
Without Wifi calling, i wouldn't be able to make any voice calls. Texts never send, takes over 5 tries to get 1 sent. I jumped @ the 10gb deal, but i think i might've went with the wrong carrier. BYOD $40/10GBs(1st 24 months) sounded like a great deal.
When i can't use my cell @ home or on road jobs on the North shore... Pain in the @$$.

Looking @ my opinions going forward. So far this is the best offer for me.
-Koodoo/PM offer $40/6GBs looks great. Better network coverage.

Anyone else have any input before I jump ship to Koodoo?

Thanks in advance!
You do know you have to have that $40/4GB ($120/12GB/90 days) deal from Public Mobile in order to qualify for the Kodoo deal, right?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Mar 8, 2018
30 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:34 pm
You do know you have to have that $40/4GB ($120/12GB/90 days) deal from Public Mobile in order to qualify for the Kodoo deal, right?
Yup.
They(PM) sent me the text about this offer. Lol

Any more input would be appreciated.
*I have more than 1 line with multiple carriers.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
I have been with Freedom mobile for a while and i am on their Everywhere50 plan using the wifi calling capable LG G6, im in Edmonton Alberta and i have home coverage in 7 surrounding cities outside of Edmonton and then the free roaming off my Everywhere50 plan covers me everywhere else, coverage has improved a lot im getting signal inside buildings i never used to get any service. My rating of freedom mobile is 10/10 I haven't had any issues whether I'm roaming or not.

if you ever join them get an Everywhere plan and dont ever look back, the data is unlimited when roaming after u pass the full speed away data allotment just like on the home network. I think freedom has true potential if they are able to expand their own network across canada eventually but they should start with covering entire provinces first so more people can switch over to them.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Mar 31, 2013
113 posts
18 upvotes
I switched to FM a couple of months back. Was told the network was solid, with the iP8 and iP8+. I noticed a difference coming from our last provider, but that was to be expected for the price point. Fast forward to yesterday, and I made the switch back to Bell. Couldn't use the network a lot of the time and calls lately were brutal. It would take 3-5 tries to get one call to go through. Calls to me and my family wouldn't ring, they'd go straight to VM with no warning. Some days, my family and I couldn't make any calls for 1-2 hours! Coverage was also a big factor. Kids can't use the phones in a lot of the places they frequent. I know how bad Bell has been in the past, but I got a Small Biz plan and they gave iP8's for free (x3), and I had to pay $29 for my iP8+. Decent plan with 21GB of shared data, and $1200 of port-in credits for bills 2-6. Hope it goes well. I gave FM a try, and really wanted the network to be good, but as in anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Hope others with FM have a better experience.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
130 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 8:02 am
I can tell you've never used Freedom Mobile. At least not since LTE launch.
I have. .pure garbage...calls don't connect almost half the time, delayed messages, missed calls and no service

Pos service
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4967 posts
1080 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
TrafficEng wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 7:44 pm
I have. .pure garbage...calls don't connect almost half the time, delayed messages, missed calls and no service

Pos service
FM is not for you.

Freedom Mobile

Nov 26, 2004
93 posts
15 upvotes
North York
I am with wind for 5 years now. I never had a call dropped. I don't know were you guys live, but seems very unlikely to have all these bs drops.
Mar 31, 2013
113 posts
18 upvotes
msdan wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 8:04 am
I am with wind for 5 years now. I never had a call dropped. I don't know were you guys live, but seems very unlikely to have all these bs drops.
BS drops? Ah no, they were very real dropped calls, or calls that wouldn't connect at all. I find it unbelievable that you've never had one dropped call with WIND/FM in 5 years.
Nov 26, 2004
93 posts
15 upvotes
North York
wolfpacal wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:48 pm
BS drops? Ah no, they were very real dropped calls, or calls that wouldn't connect at all. I find it unbelievable that you've never had one dropped call with WIND/FM in 5 years.
Like I said, I don't know where you live. I am in North York and I am not lying about the calls. The messages are always on time, and right know I have LTE almost everywhere I go. Sometimes I have data problems, but a lot of times is happening because of the phone. An airplane mode flip is solving that. Speedtest on my phone - HSPA (full bars) - 8D/3U Mbps, on LTE (2 bars - probably band 4) 14D/7U Mbps. I am keeping my phone on HSPA (LTE is not mature enough, I am getting half bars almost everywhere). I have a tablet plan, the LTE (band 66 probably) gets 23D/30U Mbps. All these numbers at home. Never had problems streaming Netflix, never download stuff on my phone, not watching youtube, listening a lot internet radio commuting.

edit: I did not have problems also outside of North York, in downtown sometimes the net is slower; I have 4 lines (all my family is on wind, my kid is using fongo - works pretty ok).
Mar 31, 2013
113 posts
18 upvotes
msdan wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 5:23 pm
Like I said, I don't know where you live. I am in North York and I am not lying about the calls. The messages are always on time, and right know I have LTE almost everywhere I go. Sometimes I have data problems, but a lot of times is happening because of the phone. An airplane mode flip is solving that. Speedtest on my phone - HSPA (full bars) - 8D/3U Mbps, on LTE (2 bars - probably band 4) 14D/7U Mbps. I am keeping my phone on HSPA (LTE is not mature enough, I am getting half bars almost everywhere). I have a tablet plan, the LTE (band 66 probably) gets 23D/30U Mbps. All these numbers at home. Never had problems streaming Netflix, never download stuff on my phone, not watching youtube, listening a lot internet radio commuting.

edit: I did not have problems also outside of North York, in downtown sometimes the net is slower; I have 4 lines (all my family is on wind, my kid is using fongo - works pretty ok).
That's good to know. I'm in Barrie. Signal was inconsistent. Besides the dropped calls, or calls that wouldn't connect, or calls that went straight to voicemail, I found it would take several attempts, and sometimes several mins for texts / iMessage to go through. Data was slow, but I expected that coming from Rogers, where it was fast. Now that I'm back on Bell, I notice a big difference. I wish I could have stayed with FM, but with the issues I had, plus our (teenage/young adult) kids had, with no coverage in a lot of the areas they went to, I bit the bullet and went back to Bell. So far, so good. Hopefully FM keeps getting better. I'm glad it works for you though. I guess Toronto has better coverage.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7300 posts
1692 upvotes
imo, FM is only good for the LTE data (thats if u get full bars) if u do alot of calls, FM is NOT for u!
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2508 posts
1482 upvotes
I don't know where the incumbents are on this, but this is a positive move for FM subscribers.

"As of April 6, capable phones will receive emergency alerts from the government Alert Ready service. More info/capable devices: freedommobile.ca/alertready"

Update: Copied and pasted from the FM site.

“WPA-Compatible Phones

The following phones are WPA-compatible and able to receive Alert Ready emergency alerts:

Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 2 XL
Motorola Moto G Play
Motorola Moto E4
Motorola Moto G4 Plus
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S9
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy Note8
Samsung Galaxy J3
Samsung Galaxy A5
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4
Sony Xperia XZ1
Sony Xperia XA1
Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra

The latest software is required for the Wireless Public Alerting feature to work properly. We continue to work on certifying more phones as WPA-compatible. Please watch this list for updates.”
Images
  • 40E23725-269A-4961-B4C1-EB3E42913E57.jpeg
Mar 8, 2018
30 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
mikka2017 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:39 am
imo, FM is only good for the LTE data (thats if u get full bars) if u do alot of calls, FM is NOT for u!
Key words...
"If u get full bars"
Not having reliable reception @ home is annoying...
It's not just my device, my GF has the exact same issue.(different devices)
We live in the center of the city, i don't understand this.
(Not downtown)
If we didn't have Wifi/Wifi calling it would be a deadzone for us. (Our internet provider owns Freedom...)

I'm going to test other carriers on my work cell to see if makes a difference @ home for me. If results show improvement, I'm gone.
I'll glady take a cut in my overall data mothly total to have *reliable* reception throughout the city, & surrounding municipalities.
"You get what you pay for."
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3331 posts
583 upvotes
Calgary
Looks like Freedom Mobile has started to implement band 13. Two towers in BC are testing it
Mar 14, 2018
2 posts
BrandonA586 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 11:41 am
I have been with Freedom mobile for a while and i am on their Everywhere50 plan using the wifi calling capable LG G6, im in Edmonton Alberta and i have home coverage in 7 surrounding cities outside of Edmonton and then the free roaming off my Everywhere50 plan covers me everywhere else, coverage has improved a lot im getting signal inside buildings i never used to get any service. My rating of freedom mobile is 10/10 I haven't had any issues whether I'm roaming or not.

if you ever join them get an Everywhere plan and dont ever look back, the data is unlimited when roaming after u pass the full speed away data allotment just like on the home network. I think freedom has true potential if they are able to expand their own network across canada eventually but they should start with covering entire provinces first so more people can switch over to them.
How did you get the free roaming? Im on the everywherecanada50 plan as well does it come with the plan?