Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4262 posts
378 upvotes
Calgary
Some people get what they pay for, and others get more, some nothing, depending on where you are and where you routinely go. Try it out for a month to see if the service is for you before you commit and become disappointed afterwards. Of the places I routinely go, out of 10 spots I know of two spots where I don't get service, and that's fine by me. For those spots where I don't have coverage I have other options, I never find myself to be in a situation I can't handle. The savings are stupendous for the amount of compromises I have to make. I'm glad I have options and Freedom works for me.

My experience may very well vary from yours and others, so don't take anybody's word for it, go and experience it for yourself if you're curious enough to switch.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Mar 20, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I been with WIND now Freedom for 5 years. The data/internet is the worse it's ever been. I'm in the general downtown Vancouver area. I am paying more than ever for their service as well. I So do the math... Most expensive plan to date with the worst service!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2234 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but I received a TEXT yesterday from Freedom stating that they have upgraded the service in my area of Brampton and now I can enjoy the LTE a lot better. So I ran a speedtest yesterday and got 38M up and 14 Down! Was really impressed, and pages loaded super fast as well as youtube and other apps.

Now, that being said, I just feel like I will be getting some downvotes for this thread. My spider senses are tingling..lol
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18480 posts
6559 upvotes
Toronto
I had the family on $30 for 5 gigs ($25 with BTS) plans for over 4 years. We also had $10 for 1 gig ($5 with BTS) data plans. I cannot thank Shaw enough for fumbling the handoff from Wind Mobile and making no promises of converting legacy 3G plans to leave LTE. I switched out to Public Mobile during the 2016 fall promo for the cell plans and jumped on the Fido $15 for 3 gig for the data plans. Fast forward a year and a half later, I am with Koodo on an awesome $40 for 6 gig migration plan and my Fido data plans are free for the next 12 months. It's pretty hard to get better than this. Once again thank you Shaw for being greedy and forcing me to discover other options that offer way better value.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10648 posts
7004 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
lamboman wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 6:59 am
I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but I received a TEXT yesterday from Freedom stating that they have upgraded the service in my area of Brampton and now I can enjoy the LTE a lot better. So I ran a speedtest yesterday and got 38M up and 14 Down! Was really impressed, and pages loaded super fast as well as youtube and other apps.

Now, that being said, I just feel like I will be getting some downvotes for this thread. My spider senses are tingling..lol
Merged.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3619 posts
1065 upvotes
Parry Sound
lamboman wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 6:59 am

I got the same text yesterday in the east end.

Although, I've had LTE in my area for a couple of months now with speeds ranging from 30-60Mbps down (average ~40) and 5-20Mbps up (average ~10)
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2484 posts
1457 upvotes
FM now has now expanded it's wifi calling feature. For an iPhone user such as myself, I had to go into "Settings > Phone" and download the latest carrier software upgrade before the "Wi-Fi Calling" option appeared.

I turned off my cellular data and my wifi voice call was clear. I also found that in one area where I had a problem sending SMS, it appears to have been resolved and incoming and outgoing text are now back to how anyone would expect them to be. Instead of "Home" or "Away", the top left shows "wi-fi calling" when enabled. See the attachment. More details on wi-fi calling here and below.

ht https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/10/free ... artphones/
Images
  • wifi calling.jpg
Nov 3, 2007
837 posts
44 upvotes
Cambridge
Just remember you move out of wifi coverage and if on call it is dropped
Cambridge,Ontario
Jun 17, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
If you are considering using FREEDOM Mobile DO NOT! Run the other way. Lured by the completive pricing, I switched over to them 4 months ago. BIG MISTAKE. Even in the Calgary's "home" network where there is supposedly good coverage, data works 10% of the time and I have dropped and missed calls regularly (that don't show up on my phone at all...does not ring, no call history) regardless of where I am (not in elevators...middle of a field...city street...no difference). I've called several times to trouble shoot the issues- always end up on hold or getting passed on to different departments- the problem gets fixed temporarily, if at all. I've spent hours on this. I'm done. I called today to cancel my account and I've been on the phone so far for 1 hour and 46 minutes. I just found out I have to pay $774 to do cancel my account...news to me. When I signed up I was told the new Iphone 8 I was getting would be $15/month for 24 months ($360) and could cancel anytime. Great deal. I had done some research on Freedom and was worried about the reviews I'd read about network issues and I thought, if that happens to me, I'll pay the remaining balance, cancel my account and go elsewhere. What I found out today is that isn't an option. The phone is only $15/month x 24 months ($360) IF AND ONLY IF you stay with this terrible company for the 24 months. I wouldn't have an issue staying with Freedom if they actually provided a phone service that works! I can use my phone to make calls out and most of the time texting works, but data and incoming calls DO NOT work more often than they do work.So why am I paying $774? The way it was explained to me is that the phone is in fact $38.70/month for 24 months, though I was offered a promotional rate of $15/month IF AND ONLY IF I stay the length of 24 month term but if I cancel today the total amount for the phone is $38.70/month x 24months ($929 total) and since I've only been with the company for 4 months, the balance owing on the phone is $774! ($929 - 4 months @38.70). BRUTAL. I'm going to pay it because I've spent almost 2 hours on the phone again today with Freedom- AGAIN- being passed on from person to person, NONE OF WHICH WERE HELPFUL. To add insult to injury, they mistakenly added a $20/month bundle to my bill three months ago and after a long conversation offered to pay for half of THEIR mistake. Furthermore, I was told the first time I called to troubleshoot 4 months ago that I would receive a discount of $10/month for six months as a compensation for the technical issues on their end. At that time, I thought what a great company. I didn't ask for compensation, it was offered and I thought my technical issues were fixed. Boy was I wrong. The discount was never applied to my account. When I asked about it today the rep essentially called me a liar and then put me on hold for 20 mins. When she came back she had found in the communication history that in fact the offer was made to me, but nothing was done about it. She did not acknowledge her mistake or offer an apology for essentially calling me a liar. Instead of offering me a $40 compensation ($10 x 4 months), she said she could only provide me with the same promotion, starting today, which is useless, since I am going to pay the $774 to be rid of this useless service and return to Virgin Mobile, who despite costing a bit more monthly, is a superior service on all levels. I never had issues with them. I was simply looking for a bit of a better deal. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have switched. I have been offered zero compensation for this huge waste of time and money- not from their "loyalty" department, "retention" department or "management", despite having to repeat my story to all three of them today. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY LIKE I DID. FREEDOM MOBILE is by far the worst cellular service I've ever dealt with on so many levels.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18098 posts
16341 upvotes
Toronto
@shebikesfast

I can understand your frustration with Freedom's service but everyone's experience varies. In some cities it works really well. They did have a 15 day window when you could have returned it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/ ... rn_policy/

iPhone 8 is $929+ tax direct from Apple . Once you've paid your Freedom balance you can use it on any network. Not sure why you thought it'd be significantly cheaper than $929?

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-8
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Jan 16, 2009
289 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
Freedom offered me their $50 plan (unlimited mins/8gb data LTE/2400(I think) mins in away zone) for $40. I'd like to take them up on that offer. Is Freedom's network getting more reliable these days?
Jun 9, 2012
172 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver
Hard to say, last time I was actually a freedom mobile customer was in mid 2016. Based on what others have said, their service is still inferior to the big 3. No surprise there.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1372 posts
661 upvotes
I travel frequently around GTA areas
There are many dead zones and (oddly) some areas where coverage is good for 29 days in a month suddenly go dead (often even going into AWAY roaming)
Speed is way slower than my other SIMs

I keep this line active since it is dirt cheap and I have a dual SIM phone

Having said all the negatives overall service is light years better than what it was even a year ago
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Aug 12, 2018
1 posts
I was with Wind since the beginning. Starting last month Freedom Mobile started throttling my speed less than 2 weeks into the month. It is so bad I have to wait minutes for a simple site to load. What Crap!! Wind was Great! Freedom Mobile is absolutely Useless!
Jun 6, 2018
47 posts
15 upvotes
I also have been with wind/ freedom since the beginning. Early on I learned that reception was not achievable in parking garages or if I was higher then the 41st floor. Aside from that, I might cross paths with a spotty area when travelling. No big deal to me. I always let the other person in the call know that I am on my cell phone. Data on 3g was good where there was signal but now that the area is LTE, it is sooo much better!
My big thumbs down about freedom is that they didn't buy another frequency band to improve the reception even further .