Cell Phones

Opinions on Freedom Mobile (Formerly Wind Mobile)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2019 1:04 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Nettles wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:48 pm
We got a Wind Mobile phone during one of their promos. Good phone and unlimited minutes+data for $40 is a good deal (well compared to other companies at least). Had to return it though because we didn't get any coverage inside of the actual house (despite only being a 3-4 minute drive from the store we bought the phone from).
LOL, many years later - On Monday signed up with Freedom Mobile and lasted 2 days. Seems that the signal stoped at my front door and would not work in my house. When I returned it, they couldn't understand why I would want to return it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18355 posts
6427 upvotes
Toronto
lane99 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 10:43 am
Freedom offered me their $50 plan (unlimited mins/8gb data LTE/2400(I think) mins in away zone) for $40. I'd like to take them up on that offer. Is Freedom's network getting more reliable these days?
If you need to pay that kind of money for Freedom, why not get a Public Mobile account and get by with less data and likely you would be offered a migration plan to Koodo for around the same money. If Freedom was around $25 it might be worthwhile giving it a go.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jun 1, 2008
691 posts
218 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I switched most of my lines over to Freedom. So far the VoLTE works great on the G7. I'm happy to see the improvement and quality in the network. Only thing is the new roaming packages are trash.
Sep 2, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Freedom Mobile Review: 1/10 - Don't Risk It

Before going to India, I deactivated my Freedom mobile account online by clicking a large 'Deactivate my Account' button.
While in India I was charged for 2 months of service fees ($50/each month). I disputed this and yet they would not retract the fee.
While in India I was trying to access the wifi of the airport to send a message. Apparently my data was turned on in the process and - even though my message never went through and even though I did nothing other than try to send one message, I was charged $100 for this mishap.
I called Freedom Mobile to talk about this, but I could not find one human person in their entire support centre. All I got was foreign, third-party call centres which did nothing other than follow a robotic script. Even when I escalated the dispute to hopefully find a human, the foreign, third-party call centre person there just followed her script.
Again, all this happened while I deactivated my Freedom Mobile account.

My review of Freedom Mobile Customer Service: 1/10 - Completely inhuman robotic third-party script users.
My review of Freedom Mobile Business Practices: 1/10 - Lying about my account being deactivated.
Sep 4, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Worst customer service on earth. Stood in front of a representative today trying to buy a note 9 and he looked right through me. Didn’t even say a word to me for over 20 minutes. I got tired and walked away.

I probably did not look like someone who could afford anything at the stores. Network is shitty so one would expect the best customer service. Please look for another network. Pay slightly more but get service. I have been on the network almost three years but it seems like the time has come to move on.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2363 posts
1356 upvotes
Speed test via Open Signal in P1 of the Yonge Eglinton Centre. Not bad.

Does anyone have a Open Signal test from Robelus to post?
Images
  • 57D8A81A-CB47-4D3F-8204-6BACB04AA889.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1186 posts
446 upvotes
Have been a FM customer for couple years. Switched from Telus because I was sick of their spam calls trying to get me to upgrade to a more expensive plan. Bought LG G5 from them and LTE only became available on the phone 2 years after purpose. But once turned on, speeds of 20+Mbs down is rather common in Kanata, ON, and 10+Mbs for most Kanata locations. Will be staying with them for a while.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
Freedom's roaming partner is Rogers. So when people complain about poor coverage in cottage country, they are really complaining about Rogers.

I only know two people with Freedom. One finds it fine, in Alberta. The other, in Ottawa, had to give up on it due to reliability -- i.e. calls and texts not coming through despite having coverage. Neither has complaints about the coverage area itself, knowing what they were buying. It's just that at least some parts of the network still have technical difficulties that are a deal-breaker for the user.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1038 posts
867 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 7:19 pm
Freedom's roaming partner is Rogers. So when people complain about poor coverage in cottage country, they are really complaining about Rogers.

I only know two people with Freedom. One finds it fine, in Alberta. The other, in Ottawa, had to give up on it due to reliability -- i.e. calls and texts not coming through despite having coverage. Neither has complaints about the coverage area itself, knowing what they were buying. It's just that at least some parts of the network still have technical difficulties that are a deal-breaker for the user.
Well it's because freedom phones have different bands than what Rogers may support so even roaming on Rogers, the experience is poor
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3323 posts
582 upvotes
Calgary
Freedom really has a very bad customer service. I don't know which country it is outsourced to but they are horrible.
Feb 17, 2017
849 posts
529 upvotes
Calgary
StatsGuy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 8:06 pm
Well it's because freedom phones have different bands than what Rogers may support so even roaming on Rogers, the experience is poor
Not likely with any modern phone (last couple of years), any phone that supports Freedoms bands will support Rogers. Roaming is also on Telus/Bell.
Dec 4, 2017
361 posts
123 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 8:06 pm
Virtually all phones in the last few years that work on Freedom also support the Rogers bands. It's just that Rogers coverage in many rural zones is just not as good as Bell/Telus. Rogers clients get the same spotty experience as Freedom users roaming on Rogers in the same areas, in my experience.

The one person I know who does like Freedom does get good rural coverage in the rural area that he likes the most (on Rogers), so he's sticking with it.

The friend who gave up on Freedom last year did so because of reliability issues while on the Freedom network itself, not while roaming on Rogers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1038 posts
867 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 2:58 am
Virtually all phones in the last few years that work on Freedom also support the Rogers bands. It's just that Rogers coverage in many rural zones is just not as good as Bell/Telus. Rogers clients get the same spotty experience as Freedom users roaming on Rogers in the same areas, in my experience.
They don't especially not in rural areas where Rogers uses very different 3g bands
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1186 posts
446 upvotes
For what it's worth, I've been on Freedom/wind for a few years. My wife is also on Freedom, after she got sick of Fido promotion calls. We live in sub-urban Ottawa, and my G5 recently got LTE service, after a much delayed software update. Not a good choice if you go to rural areas often, or goes downtown often. But for sub-urban areas, I'm doing fine. Freedom has reasonably price regular plans, which means I switch between plans as my usage changes, rather than negotiate a plan with a rep and get somewhat stuck with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1025 posts
387 upvotes
Durham
I'm in Ajax and have had no issues with Freedom since joining last fall when my wife and I got the Friends and Family discount. $30/mth 10gb plan is great. Been to some rural areas where I still got service. Went on a cruise, used wifi-calling. I think since I got it, probably 2-3 dropped calls. No biggie. Well worth the cost. This plan would be $100/mth elsewhere.