Food & Drink

Opinions on McDonald's ~ Create Your Taste ~

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2017 6:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 14, 2016
24 posts
13 upvotes

Opinions on McDonald's ~ Create Your Taste ~

I really want to try a McDonald's create your taste burger and i just want some opinions if it's worth it.
See the create your taste HERE

Is it just a marketing ploy to get customers back into their restaurant or is it actually worth a try?
I saw a review on YouTube for it and the 1 meal (fries and a coke) came up to around $15!?!?!
Seems kind of pricey for me since I'm a value menu kind of person but I'm very curious LOL ;)
63 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2208 posts
827 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
TrickyWalnut wrote: I really want to try a McDonald's create your taste burger and i just want some opinions if it's worth it.
See the create your taste HERE

Is it just a marketing ploy to get customers back into their restaurant or is it actually worth a try?
I saw a review on YouTube for it and the 1 meal (fries and a coke) came up to around $15!?!?!
Seems kind of pricey for me since I'm a value menu kind of person but I'm very curious LOL ;)
Still cheaper than overhyped Burger Priest, small burger with fries and drink comes to $20 after all said and done and ppl in Toronto loves that!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Doesn't the whole thing of selecting your condiments and then having it served to you once it is built fly in the face of fast food?
If I wanted to order my burger and wait for it to come to me...I would go to a real restaurant. :)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2838 posts
860 upvotes
I've had it and it's really good. Best burger I've ever had at McDs. Basically you're getting something comparable to South St and slightly cheaper.
More "gourmet" toppings. The meal is served on a faux wood board and fries come in a mini basket. It's brought to your table. The combinations
are endless (you can order 5 patties if you want). I just wish they bring grilled pineapple as a topping like they have in Asia. I had a custom burger
combo for just $2 more than your standard Big Mac meal. Worth it. Before they introduced the Create Your Taste I would only go to McD for breakfast.
Not all locations have it yet.

http://www4.mcdonalds.ca/createyourtaste/
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9763 posts
1265 upvotes
GTA
shutterbug wrote: I've had it and it's really good. Best burger I've ever had at McDs. Basically you're getting something comparable to South St and slightly cheaper.
More "gourmet" toppings. The meal is served on a faux wood board and fries come in a mini basket. It's brought to your table. The combinations
are endless (you can order 5 patties if you want). I just wish they bring grilled pineapple as a topping like they have in Asia. I had a custom burger
combo for just $2 more than your standard Big Mac meal. Worth it. Before they introduced the Create Your Taste I would only go to McD for breakfast.
Not all locations have it yet.

http://www4.mcdonalds.ca/createyourtaste/
Thanks for the Canadian site. OP posted the Australian site. It mentions going into "Macca's" and I was like WTF.. then realized that is their nickname for McDs...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Doesn't the whole thing of selecting your condiments and then having it served to you once it is built fly in the face of fast food?
If I wanted to order my burger and wait for it to come to me...I would go to a real restaurant. :)
You want to know something sad? It's statistically going to be better than a real restaurant.
I've had plenty of bad burgers but I really can't say that this one in particular is one of them.
It is expensive (especially considering it's McDonald's) but I would easily order one again.
The bun was nicely toasted, toppings were fresh and delicious, the meat wasn't overcooked (which is a big one for me), and it was generally delicious.
shutterbug wrote: The combinations are endless (you can order 5 patties if you want).
I ordered one with 4 once. I had to disassemble it because it was too big.
Also if your location has one of those automated kiosks, make sure you order from there because I guarantee you that they'll screw it up if you order via person.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: You want to know something sad? It's statistically going to be better than a real restaurant.
I've had plenty of bad burgers but I really can't say that this one in particular is one of them.
It is expensive (especially considering it's McDonald's) but I would easily order one again.
The bun was nicely toasted, toppings were fresh and delicious, the meat wasn't overcooked (which is a big one for me), and it was generally delicious.


......
You are very right, statistically, McD's will always win...just because of sheer number of outlets.
To be honest, I have not yet tried their new system because I don't generally eat McD's . My comment was only to emphasize that it would not be "fast" food and if I do I get it, I get it from the drive through.
I will try I guess but, I hate sitting in a McDonald's.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: You are very right, statistically, McD's will always win...just because of sheer number of outlets.
I was more meaning the odds of getting a burger that's better than this walking into a random restaurant compared to walking into McDonald's in general, not due to the number of units sold nor locations.
I'm basically implying that quite a large number of restaurants have VERY bad burgers for one reason or another.
The biggest one is frozen burgers. This is a bit hypocritical since McDonald's is also frozen but it doesn't "taste" like most frozen processed burgers.
The 2nd biggest is doneness. The one thing that sheer volume has for McDonalds is that they know how to nail cooking/holding times.
To be honest, I have not yet tried their new system because I don't generally eat McD's . My comment was only to emphasize that it would not be "fast" food and if I do I get it, I get it from the drive through.
I will try I guess but, I hate sitting in a McDonald's.
It's definitely a weird thing.
McDonalds is known for fast food but I swear they're trying to change that image.
This is definitely something you don't want to order from a drive thru. Everything else on their menu? Sure. This? Sit down for it. It's not actually fast food.
To be fair, it's not exactly slow food either. I had mine come out in like 5 minutes. A little longer than a normal burger but still faster than a regular sit down.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 14, 2016
24 posts
13 upvotes
Awesome thank you! I think I'm going to try it out this weekend.
Sorry about the Australian link.... I only heard about it through YouTube so I just quickly googled what it was and that was the first link that popped up for me

I think I'm going to try it with guac, pepper jack cheese and sauteed mushrooms *drool*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 24, 2005
1037 posts
346 upvotes
I don't know. I like the idea of being able to customize whatever you want at a kiosk but not the limited selection of choices to only these "premium" ones. Just let me make a Big Mac with jr chicken patties and a hash brown middle bun.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
blarg wrote: Just let me make a Big Mac with jr chicken patties and a hash brown middle bun.
Image
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
295 upvotes
Midland
This is what Harvey's has had for many years with their hamburgers. :)
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2007
3562 posts
224 upvotes
blarg for Prime Minister in 2020, IMO. That sounds really good.

I'd settle for a chicken McGriddle.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2208 posts
827 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
gordholio wrote: This is what Harvey's has had for many years with their hamburgers. :)
Harveys never brought your food to your table.

But yes, it's nothing new - except it's McDonald's style burger patties. Even you have to admit, Harveys today doesn't taste the same as it used to. I find their burgers are not as good, more bland tasting with an increase in choices for condiments to hide this fact.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7488 posts
4784 upvotes
Victoria, BC
JKKim2983 wrote: Harveys never brought your food to your table.

But yes, it's nothing new - except it's McDonald's style burger patties. Even you have to admit, Harveys today doesn't taste the same as it used to. I find their burgers are not as good, more bland tasting with an increase in choices for condiments to hide this fact.
Yes, I agree. My first job as a teenager was at a Harvey's (mid 1980's), and there is no comparison today. They've gone way downhill.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2208 posts
827 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
I tried one today, paid the $1.99 extra for Swiss cheese. Regular cheddar cheese is free.

I chose lettuce as one of the toppings and it came with one big honking piece of lettuce, which is great because I love lettuce on my burgers. Also chose the crispy onions, Big Mac sauce, ketchup and spicy mustard. Delicious!

It's on par with a regular McDonald's burger, except more succulent. Higher quality burger patty is definitely used. On top of that, it was juicier, not dripping with juices but just enough. I got mine as a combo with fries and medium drink. Price was $2 more than your usual combo due to me getting the premium cheese. And yes, delivered to my table, as you are suppose to pick up one of those restaurant pagers next to the self order kiosk after you have made your order on the screen. Although, I think this pager system is not limited to this Create Your Taste burger. It makes a lot of sense as it can get crowded as people stand around at the cash area waiting for their food. So why not just give out pagers while people sit and wait instead, and just deliver it to your table. McDonald's restaurants are small enough to easily navigate.

I did not tip because ultimately, it is still fast food and not a regular restaurant.
Sr. Member
Sep 4, 2014
537 posts
47 upvotes
Madden, AB
JKKim2983 wrote: I tried one today, paid the $1.99 extra for Swiss cheese. Regular cheddar cheese is free.

I chose lettuce as one of the toppings and it came with one big honking piece of lettuce, which is great because I love lettuce on my burgers. Also chose the crispy onions, Big Mac sauce, ketchup and spicy mustard. Delicious!

It's on par with a regular McDonald's burger, except more succulent. Higher quality burger patty is definitely used. On top of that, it was juicier, not dripping with juices but just enough. I got mine as a combo with fries and medium drink. Price was $2 more than your usual combo due to me getting the premium cheese. And yes, delivered to my table, as you are suppose to pick up one of those restaurant pagers next to the self order kiosk after you have made your order on the screen. Although, I think this pager system is not limited to this Create Your Taste burger. It makes a lot of sense as it can get crowded as people stand around at the cash area waiting for their food. So why not just give out pagers while people sit and wait instead, and just deliver it to your table. McDonald's restaurants are small enough to easily navigate.

I did not tip because ultimately, it is still fast food and not a regular restaurant.
Did the crispy onions cost extra? I wonder if they have a list of which items cost more.
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
awesome, this is the best thing macdonalds has ever done! can't wait to try it
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
Stronzo1 wrote: awesome, this is the best thing macdonalds has ever done! can't wait to try it
I think the ordering kiosk is the best thing IMO.
Never have I ever had so many positive experiences with McDonalds.
hello3k wrote: Did the crispy onions cost extra? I wonder if they have a list of which items cost more.
I haven't looked real hard online but there's a list of pricing on the ordering kiosks.
Basically everything costs extra that's not normally on the burger.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7488 posts
4784 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Stronzo1 wrote: awesome, this is the best thing macdonalds has ever done! can't wait to try it
I'm curious to try it myself.

Top