Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2298 posts
676 upvotes
Maple

Opinions on tint darkness %

Hello, I plan on getting my vehicle tinted.

A local installer uses the xpel xr brand of ceramic and carries 5, 15, and 35%. I am leaning towards the 35 as the others seem to be way too dark, but on the flipside 35 seems too light ?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1336 posts
1269 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Assuming maple as Canada's wonderland.

Ontario tint laws are prescriptive for vehicle safeties and subjective on roadside stops. I have35on one vehicle and have not encountered any problems. YMMV. Another recent thread on same subject.
Sep 8, 2008
255 posts
70 upvotes
T.O
I’ve had 15 on my last three cars in the last 8 years, never had an issue. But then I’m also not seeking attention on the road
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1222 posts
685 upvotes
Ripley
I'd go lighter. They will and do pull people over all the time. In Ontario, it is up to the cop if he charges you or not. As for attention-seeking - the first time was at a stop light in a 2013 Ford Fusion at 12:30pm on a Wednesday. The car was stopped, the cop drove past and turned around. He had 15% tint and the car had passed safety 4 months before.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11873 posts
4195 upvotes
Toronto
35% is good, especially on the driver side windows. Getting too dark is not good when you drive and park at night.

You can do 35% the front and 15/20 at the back.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Apr 12th, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1751 posts
1187 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I personally peel off every scrap of tint put on by former owners when I buy a used car. I like to see at night when I'm driving and windshield's are factory tinted already.

I think dummies putting limo tint on their windows is one of the reasons why we have so many accidents. I saw someone with silver looking tint on their windows the other day, half of it was peeling off. I'm sure they were very proud of it.

No offense, but if you put more than the authorized percentage of tint, you deserve the ticket. The law is there for a reason. Flame Suit on!!!
Last edited by Gibsons on Apr 12th, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 15, 2017
610 posts
619 upvotes
35 is good on the front, anything on the back windows will be fine.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29382 posts
9973 upvotes
Viperoni wrote: Another tint thread :(
I dunno why the same questions come up repeatedly, thread after thread even if there is one on the main page. Everyone's a unique snowflake I guess :facepalm:

When to change tyres over, what tint % to get, what crutches (wipers) to buy, should I buy tyres at Costblo/CT/etc....there's also the traffic/parking ticket ones but that was mostly taken care of by the sticky at least.

On the other hand there's people that do search, find a 10yr old+ thread and proceed to bump it with some new somewhat-related thing.
Apr 22, 2019
226 posts
161 upvotes
I always go for around 15% on all my cars, my current vehicle has 12%. 35% is way too light in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1751 posts
1187 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: I dunno why the same questions come up repeatedly, thread after thread even if there is one on the main page. Everyone's a unique snowflake I guess :facepalm:

When to change tyres over, what tint % to get, what crutches (wipers) to buy, should I buy tyres at Costblo/CT/etc....there's also the traffic/parking ticket ones but that was mostly taken care of by the sticky at least.

On the other hand there's people that do search, find a 10yr old+ thread and proceed to bump it with some new somewhat-related thing.
So you are giving the guy the business, yet you are the one to come in and complain about the endless threads? Aren't you the same nuisance? Maybe there's been revolutionary new technology in partially blinding yourself to make your car look good??? Come on man, lets all get black windows! I think everyone is blacking out their emblems and even headlight assemblies! It's the style. I forgot license plates as well.

Don't worry, nobody will stop you.
Last edited by Gibsons on Apr 12th, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14079 posts
9293 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
what car?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29382 posts
9973 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: So you are giving the guy the business, yet you are the one to come in and complain about the endless threads? Aren't you the same nuisance?
What? Are you high? What nonsense are you on about now? Where did I bump a 10yr old thread and where did I make a thread about something that has multiple recent threads on the same subject already???

Also have absolutely zero idea about what you're going on about blinding yourself and blacking things out??? Certainly sounds like the musings of someone that's up there with a kite.

Said it many times but I think making "the goode stuff" legal was a big mistake.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1751 posts
1187 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: What? Are you high? What nonsense are you on about now? Where did I bump a 10yr old thread and where did I make a thread about something that has multiple recent threads on the same subject already???

Also have absolutely zero idea about what you're going on about blinding yourself and blacking things out??? Certainly sounds like the musings of someone that's up there with a kite.

Said it many times but I think making "the goode stuff" legal was a big mistake.
You are the guy to come into every thread and bug everyone to do a search... is that more clear? Basically, you are as annoying as what you are complaining about.

I was being cheeky, but it looks like you got angry. Oh well.

It's the internet, let things play out and go easy.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9335 upvotes
Toronto
haven't had tint on my last 2 new cars. When I was younger I was all for it. Now, not so much but if I would, I'd do 35.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 21, 2011
740 posts
303 upvotes
GTA
23% is the right number in my opinion. To the poster that says we should follow the laws, why do we need a law that prohibits smoking in a car with young kids. Some laws are just too much, and some things are just common sense.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10019 posts
1205 upvotes
Mississauga
35 front 15 rear
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 35-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Oct 3, 2017
994 posts
844 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I dunno why the same questions come up repeatedly, thread after thread even if there is one on the main page. Everyone's a unique snowflake I guess :facepalm:

Grumpy
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18725 posts
2450 upvotes
Woodbridge
Viperoni wrote: Another tint thread :(
If someone BUMPS an old thread they get ripped apart. Really who cares. Look at how every SEASON we get when to install or remove winter tires. lol

As for the OP, I say get whatever works for you. My only suggestion is, GO (35, 20, 5, etc.) ALL AROUND keep it clean.

I don't know anyone who got pulled over for their (illegal) tints. I have 15 all around on my CivicX.

Having said all that, I'm done with tints. I didn't my 2020 Audi Q3 tinted.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8980 posts
1902 upvotes
Vancouver
In my teen years I’ll admit I had 20 or 15 all around well except windshield. I thought it was cool then. Then you get a nicer car and the windows naked look better because of quality glass.

35 to me reminds me of people who wear those eye glasses that change from clear to sunglasses but always seem stuck in between and look horrible.

Don’t tint I say. 15/20 looks better and achieves privacy. Horrible for eye contact with proper drivers/cyclists/pedestrians who look to see if youre paying attention. As 89% of people on the road I see are never looking where they should, appear totally clueless and ready to cause an accident. Or worse most uber drivers.
Autocorrect sucks