• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2021 2:03 pm
[OP]
Aug 9, 2020
45 posts
12 upvotes

Opposite directions- Guelph ,Whitby or Orangeville

Hi guys,

Ok so now Im doing a full on house search. Out of the 3 cities I mentioned, what would you recommend? and If in that city, which parts would be most family oriented and quiet? I currently live in the erin mills area of mississauga and would like to keep that type of life but with friendlier people :)
53 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2400 posts
840 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey I grew up in Erin Mills .. (credit hills).. now married I'm in meadowvale.... all my neighbors are friendly ..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7977 posts
2670 upvotes
Maple
I would rate Orangeville as most quiet (boring), then Guelph, then Whitby. Depends on where you work?
That is my 2 cents.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12100 posts
6988 upvotes
Markham
I'd vote for Guelph...closer drive to US border, closer drive to populated areas ie Hamilton, Mississauga,GTA, Kitchener Stratford area, University Town, closer to current home

Other considerations:
What about family, work, friends, weather? Proximity to major highway ie 401.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 21, 2011
393 posts
161 upvotes
Guelph, was looking there for a while. Seems very close to the vibe in Mississauga, not as busy and more laid back.
May 6, 2010
627 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Orangeville, but if you don't have to commute - Guelph.
Jul 12, 2019
28 posts
54 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I'd vote for Guelph...closer drive to US border, closer drive to populated areas ie Hamilton, Mississauga,GTA, Kitchener Stratford area, University Town, closer to current home

Other considerations:
What about family, work, friends, weather? Proximity to major highway ie 401.
Guelph is a closer drive to the GTA? Whitby literally is IN the GTA.

Whitby also has superior GO Train service being on one of the Lakeshore lines. It is close to the Kawarthas and has some nice lakefront areas on Lake Ontario.

Full disclosure, I am not from Whitby. Lol.
Dec 9, 2013
596 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Durham region has had the highest growth in real estate prices (percentage) in the entire GTA in the past 10 years.

The demand speaks for it self.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6083 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
miscbrah1 wrote: Durham region has had the highest growth in real estate prices (percentage) in the entire GTA in the past 10 years.

The demand speaks for it self.
Makes sense: It's the only affordable region left in the GTA. York, Peel, Halton, Toronto have all gotten stupid expensive.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2020
45 posts
12 upvotes
I want to stay here but i cant afford too:(
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Lived in the tri-cities, great place. Cousin was in Orangeville, not as busy, or enticing as guelph. Whitby is a dump. If affordability is your concern, whitby is probably your best option if you work close to where you currently live. Traffic 401 east is better than west in during commute times.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9670 posts
9131 upvotes
Markham
At least Whitby has some stuff to do. There is absoultey nothing in Guelph and Orangeville.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2020
45 posts
12 upvotes
Surprisingly all of those areas have the exact same housing prices im looking at. But now its to determine if i wanna do north, west or east! whitby is closer to husbands work but guelph is closer to my family. Why are they all so expensive in mississauga!!??
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9670 posts
9131 upvotes
Markham
ESLL1226 wrote: Surprisingly all of those areas have the exact same housing prices im looking at. But now its to determine if i wanna do north, west or east! whitby is closer to husbands work but guelph is closer to my family. Why are they all so expensive in mississauga!!??
People like being in places that have stuff to do. Mississauga has stuff. Places with low prices don't have stuff. It's really that simple.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
ESLL1226 wrote: Surprisingly all of those areas have the exact same housing prices im looking at. But now its to determine if i wanna do north, west or east! whitby is closer to husbands work but guelph is closer to my family. Why are they all so expensive in mississauga!!??
I'd determine whether having family closer or a more work/life balance for your husband. Which is deemed more important for the family dynamic. I know for me, it would to have my dad around more therefore lesser commute. As for Mississauga, it's a demand and supply issue. It's similar to most locations within 25kms of Toronto. Sprawl happens because people want more for less or can't afford the high city pricing.
Anikiri wrote: People like being in places that have stuff to do. Mississauga has stuff. Places with low prices don't have stuff. It's really that simple.
OP says all the places are the same price. But you just said that Whitby has stuff to do and low prices doesn't have stuff like Orangeville and Guelph......?

I guess all the university students that live in Guelph has to deal with non-stuff to do that which Guelph doesn't have.

lol, makes sense.
Last edited by koffey on Feb 16th, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9670 posts
9131 upvotes
Markham
koffey wrote: I'd determine whether having family closer or a more work/life balance for your husband. Which is deemed more important for the family dynamic. I know for me, it would to have my dad around more therefore lesser commute.

OP says all the places are the same price. But you just said that Whitby has stuff to do and low prices doesn't have stuff like Orangeville and Guelph......?

I guess all the university students that live in Guelph has to deal with non-stuff to do that which Guelph doesn't have.

lol, makes sense.
well at least in Whitby, they can go to Oshawa, Pickering, and Scarborough pretty closely. There's nothing up in Guelph or Orangeville.
Dec 9, 2013
596 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Lived in the tri-cities, great place. Cousin was in Orangeville, not as busy, or enticing as guelph. Whitby is a dump. If affordability is your concern, whitby is probably your best option if you work close to where you currently live. Traffic 401 east is better than west in during commute times.
I don't live in Whitby but it's a dump? Most of Whitby is brand new construction, with brand new infrastructure, including brand new schools/roads/shopping centres/community centres.

This is how I know you haven't seen real dumps, as someone who grew up in Scarborough.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12100 posts
6988 upvotes
Markham
Nice to look at a overview pic. Because your existing "base" is Mississauga, Guelph is closest to existing.

guelph Screenshot_15.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: well at least in Whitby, they can go to Oshawa, Pickering, and Scarborough pretty closely. There's nothing up in Guelph or Orangeville.
Oh, sorry, nothing in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Stratford and a host of places that people from the city, myself included, love to visit. A bit little further, Hamilton, wine country.... Orangeville has hockleyvalley and a few nice outdoors locations. I personally believe that these surrounding area has a lot more to offer than Scarb, Oshawa, Pickering, but it's a matter of opinion. I guess that you like malls and call that stuff.
miscbrah1 wrote: I don't live in Whitby but it's a dump? Most of Whitby is brand new construction, with brand new infrastructure, including brand new schools/roads/shopping centres/community centres.

This is how I know you haven't seen real dumps, as someone who grew up in Scarborough.
Just because brand new construction doesn't mean it's not a dump. But you're right, I haven't visited in a while but yeah, I don't like to visit dumps so you are right.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 9, 2013
596 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Oh, sorry, nothing in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Stratford and a host of places that people from the city, myself included, love to visit. A bit little further, Hamilton, wine country.... Orangeville has hockleyvalley and a few nice outdoors locations. I personally believe that these surrounding area has a lot more to offer than Scarb, Oshawa, Pickering, but it's a matter of opinion. I guess that you like malls and call that stuff.
Just because brand new construction doesn't mean it's not a dump. But you're right, I haven't visited in a while but yeah, I don't like to visit dumps so you are right.
Next time, you should probably look up the definition of dump and also visit the place prior to trying to give incorrect advice to someone.