• Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough

The option to downvote replies has been removed

With todays site update you'll notice the option to downvote a reply has been removed. You'll still have the option to downvote the topic (thread) in forums where voting is enabled. As a reminder downvotes for topics are NOT attached to the original poster and are only there to indicate the topics usefulness/popularity.

Previously downvoted post replies will now only show the upvotes attached to it. The downvoting information previously contained within your profile page is now gone as it was no longer necessary.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Share:
123 replies
Feb 10, 2010
740 posts
235 upvotes
Ajax, ON
That is great. IMO the downvote system was making this site a little too hostile for my taste.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5269 posts
1714 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you. The replies downvote was constantly being abused by people who disagreed with comments regardless of if they were useful or worthwhile contributions to discussion. It made participating in discussions frustrating and and not worthwhile. Glad to see it gone.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
2198 posts
1113 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:14 am
That is great. IMO the downvote system was making this site a little too hostile for my taste.

Thank you
Agreed 1000%
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2379 posts
849 upvotes
Montreal
Great first step before returning to the Thank voting.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Great step.
Now, if you disagree with the post, you will have to identify yourself with a retort. Thank you very much Tom.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond
I notice today that only the upvote option is present on posts. Is that intentional? If so, it has my upvote!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2379 posts
849 upvotes
Montreal
I still got this bug though:

ERROR
You cannot vote on your own post.

Tired Face
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
vonblock wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:03 pm
I still got this bug though:

ERROR
You cannot vote on your own post.

Tired Face
We must've missed that bug. I'll file a ticket! ;)
Aug 24, 2014
98 posts
57 upvotes
I don't mind comment downvotes being removed but why was it changed that only upvotes are being shown for every thread?

It's hard to know whether someone ACTUALLY posted a decent deal without clicking every single link if every post has +15,+16,+20 upvotes showing on it...

For example.
This post has +15 upvotes with 0 downvotes and it's showing up as +15 below the title
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/airmiles ... e-2137064/

meanwhile
This post has +16 upvotes with 52 downvotes and it's showing up as +16 below the title. Not to mention 9/10 comments are saying how the deal is not actually a deal...
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-i ... 9-2140349/

I mean just take a look at Hot Deals front page. Almost every deal is upvoted rendering the voting system useless imo
Feb 19, 2010
778 posts
171 upvotes
YYC
Good move! You get downvote for the stupidest reason cause you don’t like color black for example lmao
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:52 am
I notice today that only the upvote option is present on posts. Is that intentional? If so, it has my upvote!
Did you read TomRFD's initial post #1? He explained what is going on.
lcyCold wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:29 pm
I don't mind comment downvotes being removed but why was it changed that only upvotes are being shown for every thread?

It's hard to know whether someone ACTUALLY posted a decent deal without clicking every single link if every post has +15,+16,+20 upvotes showing on it...

For example.
This post has +15 upvotes with 0 downvotes and it's showing up as +15 below the title
airmilesshops-ca-50-bonus-air-miles-20- ... e-2137064/

meanwhile
This post has +16 upvotes with 52 downvotes and it's showing up as +16 below the title. Not to mention 9/10 comments are saying how the deal is not actually a deal...
costco-ipod-touch-128gb-350-99-25-maste ... 9-2140349/

I mean just take a look at Hot Deals front page. Almost every deal is upvoted rendering the voting system useless imo
"Previously downvoted post replies will now only show the upvotes attached to it. The downvoting information previously contained within your profile page is now gone as it was no longer necessary." from Post #!
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
lcyCold wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:29 pm
This is actually a bug which we're going to fix today. It should be showing the cumulative total when browsing a forum.
Aug 24, 2014
98 posts
57 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm

"Previously downvoted post replies will now only show the upvotes attached to it. The downvoting information previously contained within your profile page is now gone as it was no longer necessary." from Post #!
And have you read my post?

I said THREAD not COMMENT. How about reading first before replying.

Also it seems TomRFD has addressed my concern already
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm

The first quoted post was actually a separate thread which was merged into this one.

IcyCold was referring to the topic list view not accounting for any downvotes which is a bug.