• Feb 2nd, 2021 8:43 am
[OP]
Aug 26, 2012
55 posts
24 upvotes
London

Options for good adjustable bench?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this.

Like many, I've decided to set up my own home gym. I've ordered weights, bought dumbells at a reasonable price, and I'm in the process of building my own power rack.

I will need an adjustable bench, but everything currently on the main websites I've checked (fitness Depot, fitness Avenue, rogue, treadmill factory) are either backordered or very expensive.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for reputable but lesser known websites that may have in stock (or stock this month) on some quality benches.

I don't lift incredibly heavy, but I think something with at least 800lb limit is desirable. I also need it to be adjustable, including an adjustable seat portion. My budget is flexible, but I was looking at the $300 range. I'm conflicted because I know prices will come down once covid goes away, but who knows when that will be. So I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy something.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2244 posts
3206 upvotes
I have the Fitness Reality 2000. Excellent bench.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1371 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Look up Bells of Steel or Strongarm Sport. Both are out of Calgary and are quality. I've dealt with Strongarm Sport and was incredibly responsive and easy to deal with. I had ordered some equipment (which took a bit to get due to shipping to the warehouse) but arranged a time for pick up and when i got there, it was waiting on the loading dock for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1150 posts
567 upvotes
Dark Phoenix wrote: Look up Bells of Steel or Strongarm Sport. Both are out of Calgary and are quality. I've dealt with Strongarm Sport and was incredibly responsive and easy to deal with. I had ordered some equipment (which took a bit to get due to shipping to the warehouse) but arranged a time for pick up and when i got there, it was waiting on the loading dock for me.
Lucky you are in Calgary and can pick-up locally. StrongArm site says they share warehouse space with BoS, and they sell each others' products.

As far as FID bench and Bells of Steel in general, here's a posting from 2016 in a forum where some one was asking about BoS adjustable bench. At the time BoS was a one-man operation, and the one-man chimed in to say a little more about his company and his philosophy, and talks a bit about his products vs Rogue or Fitness Avenue. Note BoS racks and benches are now black (not yellow) -- they have been updatingand improving the design, and have seen significant growth as more and more people like their price/quality equation. Shipping can be slow, especially with COVID as they are at the mercy of freight companies and rail companies. They also sell out of each pre-sale pretty quickly as more people are looking at their products now. They haven't jacked-up prices like some, but they can no longer offer free local pick-up in major cities outside of Calgary. I'm expecting to get my large order, hopefully next week!
Good read:
https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 301&page=1

For OP, I would say with retail cost of wood/steel, it's hard to imagine that you could build your own power rack for less than the cost of the BoS residential rack. I went for the Light commercial rack, because the extra features are really appealing, such as safety straps instead of pins, better J-cups, and roller cups).
Jun 10, 2016
298 posts
206 upvotes
Brampton
have you looked for resale on marketplace or kijiji? some people still asking ridiculous prices, but I've seen some offer nice stuff at a decent price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9340 posts
3042 upvotes
muscleflex wrote: have you looked for resale on marketplace or kijiji? some people still asking ridiculous prices, but I've seen some offer nice stuff at a decent price.
Yea still some very high prices but I feel we are closer to used prices coming down
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1371 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
blexann wrote: Yea still some very high prices but I feel we are closer to used prices coming down
I'll be happy when people stop asking $3/lb for used weight plates.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2824 posts
548 upvotes
Ancaster
superbad wrote: Both are good. I have the $300 one. it's sturdy and heavy and various angles for all kinds of exercises
i just ordered the $169 bench as my second bench.

$169 - https://www.amazon.ca/Fitness-Reality-1 ... B01CR4XFIK

$300 - https://www.amazon.ca/Fitness-Reality-C ... 19NX24N8P0
I just bought the Fitness Reality 1000 Bench from Walmart. It was same price on Amazon. It has jumped $30 though since superbad posted about it.

The delivery was 2.5 days.

This is a solid bench with an 800lbs capacity. Great reviews on YouTube.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/fitness-re ... 0196090702