Cell Phones

Options if I'm moving and want to keep my cell number.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2016 6:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto

Options if I'm moving and want to keep my cell number.

Hey all, I'm moving out of country for a while but would like to hold onto my cell number as I've had it for quite a while.

I'm currently on a pretty decent Rogers 6gb plan, but obviously I won't be using any of the features/minutes/data except for Rogers OneNumber. Also i am no longer on contract but month-to-month.

I'm just wondering what the cheapest option is to keep my cell phone number? These are the options I've come up with.
- Rogers cheapest monthly plan (Still too expensive)
- Rogers PAYG (Would I still have access to OneNumber?)
- WIND mobile (monthly or PAYG??)

Wondering if anyone can provide their experiences with any of the above, or if they have a better option. Also I am currently out of the country but assuming any of the providers can send the SIM to my house in Canada where my family lives.

Thanks for the help in advance.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
Port to VoIP.ms and forward to your number abroad.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
elwebmaster wrote: Port to VoIP.ms and forward to your number abroad.
This is a good suggestion. But I think I'd prefer to be with a carrier/have a sim card as I will be traveling back every now and then.
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
Sounds like you are willing to give up your pretty decent 6GB plan. You didn't mention the cost of this 6GB plan, if it is not one of those plans at bargain prices, then it is not a problem giving it up.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
inkjoy wrote: Sounds like you are willing to give up your pretty decent 6GB plan. You didn't mention the cost of this 6GB plan, if it is not one of those plans at bargain prices, then it is not a problem giving it up.
I'm not complaining about giving up the plan. I'm asking what the cheapest way to keep my number with a carrier is.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1926 posts
627 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: I'm not complaining about giving up the plan. I'm asking what the cheapest way to keep my number with a carrier is.
There is no point in keeping the number with the same carrier, if you give up a good plan.

Two best options you have are:

1) Port your number to wind, and have unlimited use of it in the US (unlimited US roaming is $15 month on top of your Canadian monthly plan which could be as low as $30 )

2) port your number to VOIP provider like Fongo or voip.ms, and use it via internet (either mobile or wifi) from anywhere in the world FOR FREE (or almost for free).

just my 2 cents.
Oct 2, 2014
212 posts
35 upvotes
New Westminster
umirza85 wrote: I'm not complaining about giving up the plan. I'm asking what the cheapest way to keep my number with a carrier is.
I'm not saying you are complaining. If your 6GB plan is $50/month, do you really want to give it up? If it is a $100/month, then it shouldn't matter since you can get something at that price range in future.

If you want the cheapest way to keep my number with a carrier that has a SIM card (as opposed to voip), then you should port your number to 7-Eleven Speakout which costs $25 for the airtime that is valid for a year.

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16082 posts
4579 upvotes
Markham
Port to Fongo
then you can use Fongo app wherever you are, as long as you have data or wifi
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
umirza85 wrote: Hey all, I'm moving out of country for a while but would like to hold onto my cell number as I've had it for quite a while.

I'm currently on a pretty decent Rogers 6gb plan, but obviously I won't be using any of the features/minutes/data except for Rogers OneNumber. Also i am no longer on contract but month-to-month.

I'm just wondering what the cheapest option is to keep my cell phone number? These are the options I've come up with.
- Rogers cheapest monthly plan (Still too expensive)
- Rogers PAYG (Would I still have access to OneNumber?)
- WIND mobile (monthly or PAYG??)

Wondering if anyone can provide their experiences with any of the above, or if they have a better option. Also I am currently out of the country but assuming any of the providers can send the SIM to my house in Canada where my family lives.

Thanks for the help in advance.
May we know where you are moving to ? US? What is your current phone plan abroad?
Also do you have access to a dual SIM phone? Or do you feel like acquiring one in the future?
These are important info for people advising you what to do
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote: May we know where you are moving to ? US? What is your current phone plan abroad?
Also do you have access to a dual SIM phone? Or do you feel like acquiring one in the future?
These are important info for people advising you what to do
Good point Daniel, sorry for not including that info.

I have moved to the UK, and my plan abroad is paid for by my company. I don't have access to a dual sim phone, but I do have a second phone which I keep around. Honestly I really just want to hold on to my number for now as I wont really use it abroad until I come back.

Also I was a fan of Rogers OneNumber as I could just use wifi to make calls within Canada from abroad, but this rarely happened and not really a reason to stay with Rogers.

The options for the voip (voip.ms/fongo) sound pretty decent, and seems like a cheap way to hold onto the number while still being able to make the odd call. I suppose I'm just a little hesitant as I've never realized that these online companies have the ability to port numbers. Is there any issues if I want to get off them later and go back to a provider?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
umirza85 wrote: Good point Daniel, sorry for not including that info.

I have moved to the UK, and my plan abroad is paid for by my company. I don't have access to a dual sim phone, but I do have a second phone which I keep around. Honestly I really just want to hold on to my number for now as I wont really use it abroad until I come back.

Also I was a fan of Rogers OneNumber as I could just use wifi to make calls within Canada from abroad, but this rarely happened and not really a reason to stay with Rogers.

The options for the voip (voip.ms/fongo) sound pretty decent, and seems like a cheap way to hold onto the number while still being able to make the odd call. I suppose I'm just a little hesitant as I've never realized that these online companies have the ability to port numbers. Is there any issues if I want to get off them later and go back to a provider?
In your case, porting out to Fongo seems viable.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: I suppose I'm just a little hesitant as I've never realized that these online companies have the ability to port numbers. Is there any issues if I want to get off them later and go back to a provider?
They partner with CLEC providers which are CRTC regulated. In the case of Fongo, it's owned by Fibernetics which is a CLEC itself. They abide by CRTC regulations, there shouldn't be any issues porting out as long as your contact information is correct and your account is in good standing.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote: In your case, porting out to Fongo seems viable.
elwebmaster wrote: They partner with CLEC providers which are CRTC regulated. In the case of Fongo, it's owned by Fibernetics which is a CLEC itself. They abide by CRTC regulations, there shouldn't be any issues porting out as long as your contact information is correct and your account is in good standing.
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it - looks like I saved quite a bit of money just by asking.

One more question. Anybody have preferences for fongo vs voip.ms?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: One more question. Anybody have preferences for fongo vs voip.ms?
It depends for how long you are planning to keep the number. VoIP.ms is cheaper to port to but there is a nominal monthly fee to keep the number. I have ported to both and I personally vote for VoIP.ms, they provide a much more professional experience in terms of tracking the status of the port and customer service, in my opinion.
May 5, 2016
513 posts
504 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it - looks like I saved quite a bit of money just by asking.

One more question. Anybody have preferences for fongo vs voip.ms?
I've ported a number to voip.ms before and it was really well done, quick response and timely updates on the status port. voip.ms in general is also a first class enterprise so i would go with them
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
830 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
elwebmaster wrote: It depends for how long you are planning to keep the number. VoIP.ms is cheaper to port to but there is a nominal monthly fee to keep the number. I have ported to both and I personally vote for VoIP.ms, they provide a much more professional experience in terms of tracking the status of the port and customer service, in my opinion.
This would be a long term thing for sure, few years.... maybe more if things go well.
azorahai wrote: I've ported a number to voip.ms before and it was really well done, quick response and timely updates on the status port. voip.ms in general is also a first class enterprise so i would go with them
Good to hear about voip.ms, and in general about these voip companies. I suppose the last time i really looked into this was when it wasnt so popular years back.

Another thing is about the interface, fongo seems like it has a great and easy to use interface that I can just close when I don't want to use it. Does voip.ms make it as easy with a well integrated android/iphone app?
May 5, 2016
513 posts
504 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: This would be a long term thing for sure, few years.... maybe more if things go well.

Good to hear about voip.ms, and in general about these voip companies. I suppose the last time i really looked into this was when it wasnt so popular years back.

Another thing is about the interface, fongo seems like it has a great and easy to use interface that I can just close when I don't want to use it. Does voip.ms make it as easy with a well integrated android/iphone app?
If you want ease of use and simplicity, yeah i would go with Fongo. voip.ms doesn't have its own app, you'll have to download one of the many 3rd party softphone apps and then connect your voip.ms account. Its not that complicated and you get a ton of features with voip.ms but its also definately not as straightforward as Fongo is either.

If you're just looking to park your number and only occasionally plan on using it for calls then Fongo will suit your needs perfectly. IMO, voip.ms is more for people who are ready to just completely cut their voice lines and go data only.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1085 posts
527 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: This would be a long term thing for sure, few years.... maybe more if things go well.

Also, for fongo, expect port in to take 3 weeks, and port out to take 1 week to complete. Don't know about voip.ms
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
921 upvotes
petepw wrote: Also, for fongo, expect port in to take 3 weeks, and port out to take 1 week to complete. Don't know about voip.ms
Voip.ms port in is 1 week.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
umirza85 wrote: One more question. Anybody have preferences for fongo vs voip.ms?
I prefer voip.ms solely due to various points of presences.
Featureset too. I can do a whole lot more with my number (or rather calls that pass through) than I can with Fongo.