Options? Washer dryer combos? all info welcome

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 11:06 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes

Options? Washer dryer combos? all info welcome

Hey yall so we want to purchase new washer and dryer front load system and thought we would come here anyone recently bought??Reccomend?
Best place with a good sale on a pair?

Only thing required is NOT white and under 2200 for the pair.

Was looking at a samsung black stainless steel combo think its around 2000 at costco but you hear some bad stuff and then we were looking at the LG grey set costco has for 1889 for the pair and it has wifi ect.

We dont need the wifi but thought it was interesting. I just want a good deal on a good pair that will last.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
32 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
Gee wrote: Don't buy Samsung

WiFi is handy, it will alert you when the wash is done.
Ok no samsung haha.

Now anyone recently get a good deal on a pair or where a good place to shop is?
Lg has some decent ones but now looking at maytag but so many options haha
Buy first think later!
Aug 16, 2007
944 posts
136 upvotes
Richmond Hill
blazed16 wrote: Hey yall so we want to purchase new washer and dryer front load system and thought we would come here anyone recently bought??Reccomend?
Best place with a good sale on a pair?

Only thing required is NOT white and under 2200 for the pair.

Was looking at a samsung black stainless steel combo think its around 2000 at costco but you hear some bad stuff and then we were looking at the LG grey set costco has for 1889 for the pair and it has wifi ect.

We dont need the wifi but thought it was interesting. I just want a good deal on a good pair that will last.
I got this set for $1610 last week from Lowe’s. It’s was down to $1850 plus there was 15% off appliances. Same set now is on “sale” for $2196. So far it’s pretty good but only been using it for a week.

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/lg-a ... 61823.html
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
Askari wrote: I got this set for $1610 last week from Lowe’s. It’s was down to $1850 plus there was 15% off appliances. Same set now is on “sale” for $2196. So far it’s pretty good but only been using it for a week.

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/lg-a ... 61823.html
Same set im considering but costco just put price up as it was 1889 a few days ago. Knowing you got it for 1610 now i have to wait to get something else haha.
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
I have the Samsung 6500 combo, the one with the little door. While it washes cloths extremely well and don't have much problems with it now I'll share some of my pain points.

1 It used to trip my breaker on the spin cycle randomly.
2 The little door doesn't leak or anything but sometimes if left open you get a water streak going down the glass (not running of course).
3 It would shake violently like it was about to explode on the spin cycle on heavy loads.

We installed ourselves but to be honest l only read the quick start guide and not the manual, it a washing machine not a rocket.

Apparently the drum needs to be calibrated once fully setup, easily could have added that step in the quick guide. Once the drum was calibrated it stopped tripping and violently shaking. Still bought extended warranty though just in case.

Even if we got it installed I don't believe they would know to calibrate the drum. It shouldn't be a step that is needed and the machine should do it automatically on its first cycle once plugged in or guide you though the calibration before allowing to use it.
Feb 5, 2019
219 posts
206 upvotes
+1 for LG.

We have that currently and another model which was also from LG in the previous home. No issues to speak of.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
I just recently bought a whirlpool washer dryer set. Altogether cost about 1800 and works great.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
+1 for Whirlpool washers

Dryers don't really matter to us as we use gas and they just last without problems regardless of brand.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4999 upvotes
Toronto
Any reason you're stuck on front-load? Are these stacking?

I moved to an HE top-load machine (GE). You can run it on deep-fill, soak things properly and don't have the issue of endless tumbling while a front-load drum tries to balance itself with a small load.

This ruined one of my wife's sweaters on delicate in our old front-load machine. It never stopped trying to balance the load and 'felted' the sweater as a result of tumbling for hours.

The only other advice I would have is skip the hole fancy HE thing altogether and get the most basic, heavy duty top load machines you can find. Our old Maytags lasted 15 years, and then the drum started leaking. In hind-sight I should have had it repaired vs. replacing it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Top load is good, and drains better. However, top load means you can't install a table over them. So we went with front load. Front load does save water though usually.

No real need to get top of the line. Just get something with good drum sizes that isn't uber basic and you will probably be fine. We just got a mid-range Samsung set online (to replace a dying and smaller Bosch set) in a Boxing Week sale about 8 years ago for around $1200. I will say the dryer started to die after about 4 years because of bad bearings and we fixed it once for several hundred bux but when it happened to another set of bearings the following year, I just went from hardware store to hardware store and found another Samsung one with similar colour on clearout and it works just peachy for $650. It doesn't match the look of the washer perfectly, but nobody cares because, well, it's a laundry room. This $650 dryer is going on 3 years now and is so far is OK.

Best Buy has these Samsungs for example:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... 09629.aspx?

Lowes has these LG's, which seem to be a higher end set for not too much more:

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/lg-a ... sher-dryer

It was recommended to me not to use the included fill hoses though. The insurance inspector recommended new hoses with an outer metal braid.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i bought the electrolux middle series a few weeks ago
i think 5xx model
in grey

very happy with them

i had samsung before and hated them
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
Get the LG. I researched and steered my mom to pick up one 5 years ago. Her washer dryer pair (WM3250HVA/DLEX3250V) is still going strong with minimal maintenance.

For myself I ended up with an Electrolux about 3 years ago as I need a washer with a reversible door.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: I have the Samsung 6500 combo, the one with the little door. While it washes cloths extremely well and don't have much problems with it now I'll share some of my pain points.

1 It used to trip my breaker on the spin cycle randomly.
2 The little door doesn't leak or anything but sometimes if left open you get a water streak going down the glass (not running of course).
3 It would shake violently like it was about to explode on the spin cycle on heavy loads.

We installed ourselves but to be honest l only read the quick start guide and not the manual, it a washing machine not a rocket.

Apparently the drum needs to be calibrated once fully setup, easily could have added that step in the quick guide. Once the drum was calibrated it stopped tripping and violently shaking. Still bought extended warranty though just in case.

Even if we got it installed I don't believe they would know to calibrate the drum. It shouldn't be a step that is needed and the machine should do it automatically on its first cycle once plugged in or guide you though the calibration before allowing to use it.
See i was looking at this set too but keep getting told to stay away from samsung.
It was between this and the lg pair thats posted in here. Im most likly going to buy from costco online and now there lg set has gone up even though it was regular price and cheaper last week.

Reading reviews on both sets they both almost seem to be the same. For your 6500 whats needed to calibrate?

The front load is not really needed but wife wanted them as we redid our laundry room. If i could get a top load set for cheap but it works id do it but if im going to get good washing save water and something that looks decent for not TOO much more then im going front load.

I just saw some reviews on the lg pair grey set posted in here and some were pretty aweful saying it doesnt wash good and blah blah but then again the samsung pair people complaining about the same because no water at all in the drum and clothes just get damp.
Buy first think later!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why people think LG is any better than Samsung. They are the same tier of product when priced similarly.

---

In any case, Lowes has this Samsung laundry pair (silver) for $1800:

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/sams ... 48569.html

And this laundry pair (black) for $1700:

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/sams ... 71169.html

But the reason I mention it is because they have a deal right now for 10% off if you get their credit card, and it's also free shipping I believe.

I have a similar dryer (42H5600) to the dryer of the first set, and it's been working fine for the past few years I've had it. As mentioned though, I got it on clearance in-store for about $650. They normally are about $850.

--

However, if you're set on LG, the 10% Lowes credit card discount should apply to those as well. I dunno what deals are at other retailers right now.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
So now im a bit confused here with these 2 sets at costco.

Whats the difference between these 2 sets? Both have wifi? I noticed the washer is the same model in both but the dry is not so maybe no wifi with dryer? anything else different? The lowes link says wifi smart enabled and the dryer is same as washer 3700

https://www.costco.ca/.product.9005231.html

https://www.costco.ca/.product.9005335.html

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/lg-a ... _-11662090
Buy first think later!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
blazed16 wrote: So now im a bit confused here with these 2 sets at costco.

Whats the difference between these 2 sets? Both have wifi? I noticed the washer is the same model in both but the dry is not so maybe no wifi with dryer? anything else different? The lowes link says wifi smart enabled and the dryer is same as washer 3700

https://www.costco.ca/.product.9005231.html

https://www.costco.ca/.product.9005335.html

https://www.lowes.ca/laundry-pairs/lg-a ... _-11662090
You can just compare right on LG's website:

https://www.lg.com/us/compare/compare.l ... us/washers

Interestingly, your first link pairs a slightly higher model washer with a lower model dryer.
The second link pairs a washer and dryer of the same model number.

However, they seem kinda similar overall. Personally I'd just get the cheaper set.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Is it worth it to spend a bit more on the Bosch or Miele? Washer dryer is an investment IMO. You will replace the Samsung and lg within 5 years. Youlll end up spending the same money or more than if you bought a better brand. Just my 2 cents
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: Is it worth it to spend a bit more on the Bosch or Miele? Washer dryer is an investment IMO. You will replace the Samsung and lg within 5 years. Youlll end up spending the same money or more than if you bought a better brand. Just my 2 cents
Nah. The Miele models I was looking at cost twice as much. Not worth it. I do have a Miele dishwasher, but that's because it was replacing a Miele dishwasher with a built-in design with front wood panel, and European sizing was a factor as was the attachment bracket for the front wood panel. (The sizing standards were slightly different.) One of the things about the Miele dishwasher I had is I started noticing black specks on my dishes. It turns out the black rubber seal on the dishwasher was disintegrating. I had Miele come in to replace it (at our expense because it was past the warranty period) and several years later the replacement seal did the same thing. Then it started acting up so I just got a new dishwasher.

BTW, the laundry pair I had when I moved in was a Bosch set. I don't miss it at all.

FWIW, my Samsung washer is around 8 years old. My Samsung dryer lasted less than 5 years though. I'm at around 3 years with my current replacement Samsung dryer.

I'm not sold on the idea of buying high end appliances. They cost more to fix, and it's harder to get parts. I had a GE Monogram built-in fridge, and replacement of the door hinge alone cost around $600, which was $400 for the part and $200 for the service. Finally after repeated repairs to the motor on the thing (as it was an old model) I just made the decision to replace it. Similar built-in fridges were $7500-$10000. And it turns out most of the junk companies didn't want to take it because it was almost 700 lbs, so even just getting it removed was a pain as I had to call several different junk removers. I ended up replacing it with a Samsung counter depth 4-door model for $3300 from Costco. Much happier with it. More efficient internal design and sizing is standard, with reasonable weights. Even if it only lasts 5 years, I could buy 2.5 to 3 of them for the price of one GE Monogram, or 4 of them for the price of a Sub-Zero. I also have a Viking range, and personally I think it's junk. Looks nice though. Viking doesn't have a great reputation, but then again, do I really want to spend $5000-6000 on a 30" Wolf range? I'd rather have a $2000-$3000 range from another brand.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: See i was looking at this set too but keep getting told to stay away from samsung.
It was between this and the lg pair thats posted in here. Im most likly going to buy from costco online and now there lg set has gone up even though it was regular price and cheaper last week.

Reading reviews on both sets they both almost seem to be the same. For your 6500 whats needed to calibrate?

The front load is not really needed but wife wanted them as we redid our laundry room. If i could get a top load set for cheap but it works id do it but if im going to get good washing save water and something that looks decent for not TOO much more then im going front load.

I just saw some reviews on the lg pair grey set posted in here and some were pretty aweful saying it doesnt wash good and blah blah but then again the samsung pair people complaining about the same because no water at all in the drum and clothes just get damp.
Washer drum needs calibration, I can't comment on LG but in our old house we got brand new Maytag top load and used for 10 years without a single problem. The Samsung is much much better at cleaning though, on the Maytag i'd get left over soap film on my black work pants all the time. We tried different soaps, using less soap etc none worked. It basically was a design flaw on Maytag's part with the short stub of agitator in the middle from my research.

In terms of build quality Maytag is more durable but didn't clean that well, I don't think my new Samsung will last 15 years with the problems i had since day one (don't know what damage has been done by running it un-calibrated). I really only researched on washing machines when buying the Maytags and at that time LG was the worst brand to buy, go in with the anticipation of having it repaired/replaced within the next 10-15 years and it will make the choice easier.

Over the years I've had had every major brand of appliance have some sort of issue within the first 5 years of buying, some minor that i can fix on my own and some that needed to be replaced altogether, don't research to much or you'll never be satisfied, buy what feels right and within your budget.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)