Computers & Electronics

Options to watch TV with no internet/cable currently

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 12:12 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6769 posts
2464 upvotes

Options to watch TV with no internet/cable currently

I bought a Hisense 55" Q7G from costco a couple weeks ago for the lake but we are waiting to get internet hooked up there. I would like to try it out this weekend, especially the 4k. Is there anything I can do to watch shows on it? Can I download shows to my phone on Netflix and screencast using bluetooth? Or is there an easier way?
21 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2531 posts
1447 upvotes
Ontario
Buy a BluRay player?
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6769 posts
2464 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Buy a BluRay player?
I will have internet in a week or two max, I don't want to buy anything extra.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2531 posts
1447 upvotes
Ontario
Wait then? Or borrow something from someone?

Have you tried casting Netflix etc yet from your phone, try it out?
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2109 posts
520 upvotes
Alberta
Is it a "smart" tv? Most of them have a basic video player you could read off a USB stick.
Member
Jun 9, 2012
470 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
For 4k the only option right now is some bluray player (Ps4 pro and xbox one x also work). The other option is use an cheap antenna if you want to watch something that isn't going to be in 4k, but in 1080i or 720p.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
Read a book instead for the week
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
7307 posts
3891 upvotes
Debtario
Does it have a TV tuner? Also referred to at ATSC or DTV tuner. If so, you can hook up a random coax cable or wire to the coax in and pick up local OTA channels. What you get depends on your antenna and channel availability in your area.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
3840 posts
932 upvotes
Kingston
You are not going to get anything free without having to buy something unless your TV has a built in antenna to get you OTA channels.

If you want anything non-internet related, your options are pretty slim especially if you don't want to spend any money as any other option requires spending money.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
Starbucks -> Torrent all the things -> Cast to your TV.
Done and done.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35811 posts
9153 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
M1K3Z0R wrote: Does it have a TV tuner? Also referred to at ATSC or DTV tuner. If so, you can hook up a random coax cable or wire to the coax in and pick up local OTA channels. What you get depends on your antenna and channel availability in your area.
It is at his cottage. I doubt he will get anything over the air. Unless his cottage is off Lake Ontario.
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
614 posts
223 upvotes
If the USB storage device is fast enough. USB 2.0 has a technical limitation of 480 Mbit/s. In practical use a bit less. Ultra HD Blu-ray has a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbit/s, and many recording devices for 4K are using bitrates of 100–200 Mbit/s. The idea would be to fill a fast USB device with 4K media, then as someone mentioned using the smart app 4K player handle it. In truth a cottage location would be best served with a dedicated android media box with your own content from a storage solution.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2009
2851 posts
1716 upvotes
Winnipeg
Turn the cell(hopefully unlimited data) into a hot spot and watch Netflix on the TV.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6024 posts
2742 upvotes
Durham
just get an android box
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6769 posts
2464 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Starbucks -> Torrent all the things -> Cast to your TV.
Done and done.
How do I cast without wifi? Can I do it through bluetooth?
Last edited by baz5 on Jul 31st, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6769 posts
2464 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: Is it a "smart" tv? Most of them have a basic video player you could read off a USB stick.
PatK621 wrote: If the USB storage device is fast enough. USB 2.0 has a technical limitation of 480 Mbit/s. In practical use a bit less. Ultra HD Blu-ray has a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbit/s, and many recording devices for 4K are using bitrates of 100–200 Mbit/s. The idea would be to fill a fast USB device with 4K media, then as someone mentioned using the smart app 4K player handle it. In truth a cottage location would be best served with a dedicated android media box with your own content from a storage solution.
Would it be better to buy a USB stick, or get a Type C to HDMI and run it off my wife's Samsung? Guess the downside of cable is it ties up the phone?

2. What is the advantage of using a media box over just using usb stick?
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
614 posts
223 upvotes
USB stick, or get a Type C to HDMI and run it off my wife's Samsung?
Get a USB 3 stick or some small portable storage stick to try out the bandwidth and see if the TV can handle it. The Samsung is not going to pass through 4K, and not many media sources through the wire are going to handle the bandwidth, Even with a dedicated media box and local storage there are only 3-4 media boxes capable (Nvidia Shield comes to mind at $300).
downside of cable is it ties up the phone?
If it's DSL then there is a filter that goes on the line for phone & internet. Cable would allow a filtering system (read $) but why? when phone plans are as low as $16 a month.
What is the advantage of using a media box over just using usb stick?
Media box will have memory and graphic processor for 4K decoding that TVs do not have, but media boxes are not all that same.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
baz5 wrote: How do I cast without wifi? Can I do it through bluetooth?
Now I kind of wonder what would happen if you tether Chromecast to your phone.
If you have a device that supports Miracast you could skip the WIfi.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
74 upvotes
Mississauga
I didn't know you could cast via bluetooth to a smart television.

Pretty nifty idea, if that worked.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6024 posts
2742 upvotes
Durham
baz5 wrote: I bought a Hisense 55" Q7G from costco a couple weeks ago for the lake but we are waiting to get internet hooked up there. I would like to try it out this weekend, especially the 4k. Is there anything I can do to watch shows on it? Can I download shows to my phone on Netflix and screencast using bluetooth? Or is there an easier way?
4K? hahahaha

Read this thread: [Merged] HD channels over the air from antenna

Blueray is the ONLY option you have. Everything else at this point is ONLY 1080p at best.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)