Orchard, Burlington vs. West Oak Trails, Oakville for young families

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 6:55 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2021
6 posts
4 upvotes

Orchard, Burlington vs. West Oak Trails, Oakville for young families

As the title suggests, we're a small young fam (husband, wife and a newborn), and looking to move to a family friendly neighbourhood in GTA. Other main priorities for us are: great elementary school, diversity, and active community. We've narrowed down to Orchard and West Oak Trails, but really confused which one to choose. We were considering Millcroft, Joshua Creek, Clearview also, as they do have better/bigger houses, but they consist of mostly mature/older families, so don't seem to work well for us. Distance to downtown, access to transit station, etc. is not a big factor. Would love to get thoughts from people who've lived in or know about these neighbourhoods!
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1098 posts
291 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Lived in Westoak Trails for about 7 years with a young family. The schools, either public or catholic are good in both elementary or high school levels.

The trails are great as well as the amount of parks/splash pads for the kids in the neighborhoods. There’s a pretty good spread of houses in the area from $750k townhouses to $2.5M+ detached. So you have a diverse group of ppl in the area.

I also liked the Orchard when I was looking initially. However I found the lots were quite a bit smaller and the streets were tight. We just found a better house for the money at the time in WO trails.

Either way both are in great locations and close to all the amenities.
Jan 13, 2021
220 posts
546 upvotes
Lived in Millcroft with my parents and I would say it's as good as it gets for a family-friendly, upper middle class, safe, quiet lifestyle. Very car-dependent and always dull, but that's probably what you're looking for.
Oct 30, 2017
381 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
shawn101 wrote: As the title suggests, we're a small young fam (husband, wife and a newborn), and looking to move to a family friendly neighbourhood in GTA. Other main priorities for us are: great elementary school, diversity, and active community. We've narrowed down to Orchard and West Oak Trails, but really confused which one to choose. We were considering Millcroft, Joshua Creek, Clearview also, as they do have better/bigger houses, but they consist of mostly mature/older families, so don't seem to work well for us. Distance to downtown, access to transit station, etc. is not a big factor. Would love to get thoughts from people who've lived in or know about these neighbourhoods!
I would probably pick Oakville between those two? That being said why don't you take a drive and see which area looks better in person.
Jan 13, 2021
220 posts
546 upvotes
MetalGear wrote: I would probably pick Oakville between those two? That being said why don't you take a drive and see which area looks better in person.
He probably already has. They all look the same Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 21, 2018
65 posts
128 upvotes
Of the two, I would pick Westoak trails due to the slightly better lots and (probably) better trails overall.

I'm not sure if budget is a factor but get ready to pay a pretty penny to live in either of these areas right now. The recent sales are jaw-dropping but I guess you can argue that is happening everywhere. The supply is really low in these two areas and you'll have to bid high for a mediocre product.

If distance to downtown and/or transit is not a factor then I'm not sure why you'd pick north-of-the-qew Oakville, unless you're into the keeping-up-with-the-joneses mentality. You will pay an arm and a leg, but if budget doesn't concern you then not a big deal I guess. I've lived in Oakville before, it's very safe but otherwise it feels like another generic, busy suburb in a lot of ways. It's prestigious of course, but I found it to be overrated overall.
Last edited by silentguy on Feb 8th, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 11, 2011
248 posts
322 upvotes
CALEDON
I currently own a Condo Townhouse in Uptown Core. I’ve really enjoyed it so far. Vibrant little area with massive amounts of accessibility to stores within minutes. Young families and youthful people everywhere.

I also think it’s great investment for the future.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2021
6 posts
4 upvotes
silentguy wrote: Of the two, I would pick Westoak trails due to the slightly better lots and (probably) better trails overall.

I'm not sure if budget is a factor but get ready to pay a pretty penny to live in either of these areas right now. The recent sales are jaw-dropping but I guess you can argue that is happening everywhere. The supply is really low in these two areas and you'll have to bid high for a mediocre product.

If distance to downtown and/or transit is not a factor then I'm not sure why you'd pick north-of-the-qew Oakville, unless you're into the keeping-up-with-the-joneses mentality. You will pay an arm and a leg, but if budget doesn't concern you then not a big deal I guess. I've lived in Oakville before, it's very safe but otherwise it feels like another generic, busy suburb in a lot of ways. It's prestigious of course, but I found it to be overrated overall.
We don’t care about the prestigious aspect of Oakville, hence totally open to Burlington. And we also don’t want to be in some ghosttown just because it’s possible to live far from downtown. Main reason to pick a relatively established neighborhood is to be a part of an interesting, family-friendly community. Where would you choose if distance to downtown and/or transit wasn’t a factor, but you do want to be in a lively area with active community? Budget is not a big constraint rn, and so want to pick somewhere there are great elementary schools, diversity and potential to meet other young families.
Jan 13, 2021
220 posts
546 upvotes
shawn101 wrote: We don’t care about the prestigious aspect of Oakville, hence totally open to Burlington. And we also don’t want to be in some ghosttown just because it’s possible to live far from downtown. Main reason to pick a relatively established neighborhood is to be a part of an interesting, family-friendly community. Where would you choose if distance to downtown and/or transit wasn’t a factor, but you do want to be in a lively area with active community? Budget is not a big constraint rn, and so want to pick somewhere there are great elementary schools, diversity and potential to meet other young families.
You won't find active communities in suburbia. It's a myth. Generally speaking there are no communities to speak of in the age of internet and WFH. Pick the house you like in either city. I would pick Burlington because I prefer it to Oakville in many ways.
Jun 18, 2020
321 posts
260 upvotes
shawn101 wrote: to be a part of an interesting, family-friendly community. Where would you choose if distance to downtown and/or transit wasn’t a factor, but you do want to be in a lively area with active community? Budget is not a big constraint rn, and so want to pick somewhere there are great elementary schools, diversity and potential to meet other young families.
The Beach. Just pretend it's not ten min from city.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2021
6 posts
4 upvotes
synthetic1 wrote: You won't find active communities in suburbia. It's a myth. Generally speaking there are no communities to speak of in the age of internet and WFH. Pick the house you like in either city. I would pick Burlington because I prefer it to Oakville in many ways.
Interesting, would love to know which factors make you prefer Burlington over Oakville?
Apr 29, 2010
552 posts
881 upvotes
GTA
synthetic1 wrote: You won't find active communities in suburbia. It's a myth. Generally speaking there are no communities to speak of in the age of internet and WFH. Pick the house you like in either city. I would pick Burlington because I prefer it to Oakville in many ways.
Not necessarily true. I lived in a new build community in north oakville (dundas/trafalger)

There was a huge park/basketball court/tennis court and I made some friends there. All the kids played there in the summer and the parents would go to hang. Some of the parents would be playing ball at the park with kids too.

Was a great place to have fun, but too bad the houses were of shitty quality and tiny ass lots.

A newer neighborhood with a nearby active park may be something to look for. Older communities still have parks but the demographics would have shifted. The parents are nearing retirement and the kids have moved out, so the park would not be as lively.
Jan 13, 2021
220 posts
546 upvotes
shawn101 wrote: Interesting, would love to know which factors make you prefer Burlington over Oakville?
- Feels friendlier in general (most people in Oakville would agree too)
- Traffic is a bit better most of the time
- Very quick access to incredible country roads and attractions north of Dundas. You could get there from Oakville too, but takes longer. Sometimes, much longer.
- Better and friendlier lake access on lakeshore road and north shore blvd. Oakville doesn't give you such level of access at all. Finding parking around the lake area in Oakville is always a hassle. In Burlington it's much less of a hassle.
- Less crowded grocery and department stores. I find grocery shopping in Burlington a more pleasant experience.
- Downtown Burlington feels nice and seems to host more events. I enjoy downtown Oakville as well, but Burlington's feels more substantial/authentic.
- It definitely feels safer in Burlington than Oakville at night. I don't know why. I have no stats to back this up.

Both are wonderful towns in my opinion and I hope they stay that way. Though with the recent inflow from other places, I'm sure some changes are in order.
Mar 26, 2004
179 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Do you live in Burlington?
synthetic1 wrote: - Feels friendlier in general (most people in Oakville would agree too)
- Very quick access to incredible country roads and attractions north of Dundas. You could get there from Oakville too, but takes longer. Sometimes, much longer.
- Better and friendlier lake access on lakeshore road and north shore blvd. Oakville doesn't give you such level of access at all. Finding parking around the lake area in Oakville is always a hassle. In Burlington it's much less of a hassle.
- Less crowded grocery and department stores. I find grocery shopping in Burlington a more pleasant experience.
- Downtown Burlington feels nice and seems to host more events. I enjoy downtown Oakville as well, but Burlington's feels more substantial/authentic.
- It definitely feels safer in Burlington than Oakville at night. I don't know why. I have no stats to back this up.

Both are wonderful towns in my opinion and I hope they stay that way. Though with the recent inflow from other places, I'm sure some changes are in order.
Jan 13, 2021
220 posts
546 upvotes
Fuddi wrote: Do you live in Burlington?
Not right now. I've been switching (multiple times) between Burlington, Oakville and Toronto for many years due to life.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2021
6 posts
4 upvotes
synthetic1 wrote: - Feels friendlier in general (most people in Oakville would agree too)

Thanks for the detailed answer – this is very helpful!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54510 posts
19333 upvotes

Almost sounds like SW Oakville near Burloak where I live lol.

It's older, can't build further south unless they reclaim land and so much less traffic and fewer people at stores and groceries.

Will need to drive to get to many trails but I don't do that often to matter haha.

Boring for sure compared to downtown Toronto, but that's what also makes it a lot safer and liveable.